'braised Koala' In China Restaurant

samoyedman

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know very well what a koala looks like and that looks like a very sick koala to me.

Nope, sorry, it is not a Koala. Souff blew up the photo and took a closer look and confirmed my first suspicions. The skull shape is not that of a koala, the coat is not a koala coat, either in markings, colour or texture. The coat is more reminiscent of the brush tailed possums from cold climates but could also be from the rodent family. Where is the trade-mark wide leathery nose of the koala? The poor creature in the cage has a pointy snout. I will bet a big bunch of gum leaves that the creature is not a koala. :)

Souff

I'm not surprised, poor wild creature. A work friend lived in Hong Kong a couple of years ago and told me a few things her partner saw available in restaurants, at a price. She didn't enjoy living there, but her partner had to live there for two years for work.

The saddest thing relating to wildlife I read in the news this week was the extinction of the last rhino in Vietnam, the Javan Rhinoceros. Killed by poachers for its horn, the last of its kind. This didn't make the news in the Aust papers, I read about it in a UK newspaper. Here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15430787

So now there are none left in the wild at all. After a google, there isn't even one left in a zoo - so gone forever thanks to traditional medicine customs. Some parts of the rainforests in SE Asia, you can't even hear birdsong, everything has been trapped for the wildlife trade or trapped to be eaten. From the Chinese river dolphin who became extinct 5 or so years ago to what next. Very sad :(

Edited by Ripley

I was watching something on SBS a little while back where the guy was at a Fish factory in Japan I think and there were fish to be bid on and bought.

That was the Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo.

That doesn't happen at our own fish markets?

I was watching something on SBS a little while back where the guy was at a Fish factory in Japan I think and there were fish to be bid on and bought.

That was the Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo.

That doesn't happen at our own fish markets?

Not with endangered species it doesn't!!!!!!!!!

Endangered species need protection . . . no question . . . but you need to identify the species before making an uproar.

Some cultures like to eat insects, some like game meat, including exotics (many Germans pay top dollar for kangaroo and value the gamey taste of wild hare).

Poor people who lack refrigeration often buy food, or get restaurant food, freshly slaughtered. Often the killing methods are primitive, and not up to RSPCA standards. But how do you think our ancestors lived?

Asian black market sales put pressure on endangered species . . . for virtually no benefit obtained. Tiger penis or rhino horn does bugger all for health or potency. But these are markets that sell at $1000/kg and upwards.

More . . . much more . . . information is required before forming any intelligent judgement.

Often the killing methods are primitive, and not up to RSPCA standards. But how do you think our ancestors lived?

Ummmm sorry to be so blunt, but who cares????? We are not in the dark ages now.

If you made less than a dollar an hour, and were lucky to eat 100 g of meat a week, I'll bet your standards would change.

:mad koala or no koala......asian customs disgust me.

smashing rabbits? eating live monkeys brains while they are gagged under a table? bird nests made from bird spit?

eating dogs and cats? whaling, eating panda genitals

bile farming from bears... :mad:mad:whip:

and they seem to think its acceptable because of the wild health claims they make...... :eek:

wonder what they would think if we all started eating them alive!!!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Often the killing methods are primitive, and not up to RSPCA standards. But how do you think our ancestors lived?

If you made less than a dollar an hour, and were lucky to eat 100 g of meat a week, I'll bet your standards would change.

for somebody who promotes so much animal liberation stuff on DOL, even comparing horses and dogs etc.. thats a bold claim to make.....

so i suppose a homeless person in usa or australia etc.. is allowed to eat whateva and kill it however because they have limited to no money???? :rolleyes: im pretty sure if the headline was homeless man bashed dog and ate it alive your comments wouldnt be so compassionate towards them.... :shrug:

Edited by huskies4life88

I would have said a small wallaby or a tree kangaroo.

Nehkbet, I knew someone once who had permission to dissect road kill native animals for some university project, and apparently the oil from their diet makes koalas' flesh smell very strongly of eucalyptus. I can't imagine that would be edible except to a starving lost explorer.

Oooh no, velly good velly good .. velly good for sore throats .... ;)

gotta love the souff ahaha, ;)

Sorry but that is no excuse to to treat and butcher animals in such nasty ways!! It's not hard to kill an animal in a way where it feels little to NO pain. In fact some of those ways would be called Stone age.

Sorry but that is no excuse to to treat and butcher animals in such nasty ways!! It's not hard to kill an animal in a way where it feels little to NO pain. In fact some of those ways would be called Stone age.

LIKE!

for somebody who promotes so much animal liberation stuff on DOL, even comparing horses and dogs etc.. thats a bold claim to make.....

so i suppose a homeless person in usa or australia etc.. is allowed to eat whateva and kill it however because they have limited to no money???? :rolleyes: im pretty sure if the headline was homeless man bashed dog and ate it alive your comments wouldnt be so compassionate towards them.... :shrug:

Hey, let's get personal. Guess you twist people's words to putting them into categories. What does that say about you?

There are a lot of subjective judgements involved in meat eating . . .not to mention vermin control. For the most part, our ancestors killed efficiently, with no deliberate cruelty. I'm happy standing against torture. But not against conventional throat cutting or other 'primitive' ways of slaughter. The modern sanitized process repulses me in some ways, cause it leaves people free to eat meat without ever looking the animal in the eye or seeing blood spilled.

If you suppose a homeless person can kill whatever, however, I'd say your standards are low. You never heard/saw me say/write that.

I don't buy any party line . . . animal lib or otherwise (if you did your homework you'll find I'm with the breeders and pretty frightened of the Animal Lib line on the puppy farm debate). I've studied a little anthropology and a little history and lived in various places in the third world . . . I try not to be judgmental.

I'll bet the RSPCA wouldn't approve of most of the killing techniques employed in the third world. What would you say to farmer decapitates a chicken with hatchet?. . . as happens all over the third world and on many many small farms . . . not to mention the way pigs are killed in small farming. I'll tell you, though, if I was a pig or chicken, I'd much rather lead my life running around free and then meet a sudden, bloody, not-so-sanitary death by traditional means than be forced to live in a factory cage, cheek by jowl to face a 'humane' death in some commercial killing facility. And don't get me going on how kind it is to kill rats and mice with slow kill poisons . . . or foxes and the occasional dog with 1080.

Where I lived in WA, the more 'new age' greyhound breeders called in a vet and did a 'humane' pts for the dogs who didn't run well. The old timers just used a bullet. I cannot say which is more humane. It would be great if all failed racing dogs could be rehomed . . . maybe racing should be banned altogether . . .hey . . . I'm not ready to pronounce on these things.

Edited by sandgrubber

smashing rabbits? eating live monkeys brains while they are gagged under a table? bird nests made from bird spit?

eating dogs and cats? whaling, eating panda genitals

bile farming from bears... :mad:mad:whip:

and they seem to think its acceptable because of the wild health claims they make...... :eek:

wonder what they would think if we all started eating them alive!!!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I have read that in early australian history, the Aboriginals used to prefer the Chinese as they tasted like pork.

Stupid generalisations disgust me.

You do nothing for the argument with exaggerations, generalisations and what is basically racism- besides lose credibility for your own cause.