Flea/tick Product And Heartworm Product?

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

The pet store recommended me Frontline Plus and Heartgard for my 3kg Pomeranian, just got me wondering from a dog experts point of view what are the best products for fleas, ticks and heartworm?

Is it all just a personal preference really?

Comfortis for fleas & Advantix for ticks (providing you don't have a cat). You can buy the biggest size of both & break them up to make it more economical. The Advantix I squirt into a very small container & put the correct amount into a small syringe which you get from the chemist.

The pet store recommended me Frontline Plus and Heartgard for my 3kg Pomeranian, just got me wondering from a dog experts point of view what are the best products for fleas, ticks and heartworm?

Is it all just a personal preference really?

It's not just about personal preference but also about the amount and type of chemicals you are prepared to pump into your dog.

The suggestion of those two products sounds pretty reasonable.

Using a once a month heartworm tablet/chew, rather than 12 months of a chemical ( PHSR ) is a sensible option. If you don't have fleas in your yard, then there's no point in treating for them, it's just an extra chemical.

Worm every three months using an all wormer or if you want to further reduce what you put into your dog, you can test for worms and treat accordingly.

With Pav Lova here.

If you don't have a flea issue why treat for it?

Most adult dogs which are well kept and don't scavenge animal faeces don't have major worm issues, so why treat for it monthly?

With a small dog I would definitely avoid putting excessive chemicals into their system.

To me ticks would be the biggest thing to worry about with a heavily coated dog such as a Pom (any dog, but a thick coat makes finding them even harder) and heartworm after that

I use permoxin for ticks but this needs to be applied daily and would be a pain in the butt with a long coated dog I would think. What does the pup's breeder recommend for ticks?

Monthly chew or pill for heartworm is the go here - annual injection IMO is too risky, if the dog has a reaction to it you can't do much about it until the drug wears off, a year is a long time!

Comfortis for fleas & Advantix for ticks (providing you don't have a cat). You can buy the biggest size of both & break them up to make it more economical. The Advantix I squirt into a very small container & put the correct amount into a small syringe which you get from the chemist.

I do this with he Advantix as well Sheena, I buy the packet for large dogs and squeeze some into a tiny bowl and decant out 1ml with a diabetic syringe...saves HEAPS of money

Guest lavendergirl

I am sticking to Frontline - mainly for ticks - for the moment as I read somewhere that Advantix has adverse effects on some of the smaller breeds. I use Interceptor Spectrum monthly for worming though I am looking at only doing for heartworm monthly and other worms 3 monthly. I don't believe in the all worming/flea/tick type treatments as I think it is too much on the dog's system all at once.

i have been using Advantix and heartgard. i don't use frontline as i have found it useless it worked for one month on my GSD then stopped working. i would not go with the annual injections as they have caused some serious health issues with dogs and liver damage. we use revolution for our cats and that keeps the ticks away as well only had one cat with a tick on it but revolution say it don't work on ticks maybe we are just lucky :o

Comfortis for fleas and vet injection annually for heartworm.

Thankfully I have never needed tick control up to now and the vet gave me something called Advantix (I think)

My Dachshund had a severe reaction to the yearly heartworm injection( never again).I worm with Drontal tabs , and use Advocate during the summer month and nothing else unless needed. I bathe with Malaseb and rinse with Episooth when needed . Thats it

Heartguard isn't my preferred product because it only covers two of the intestional worms - go for Interceptor instead, which does all thr intestionals and heartworm too, and stick with frontline if it works for you :)

Btw Advantix is only dangerous to cats if they lick the wet patch it leaves behind, which can take 1-2 hours to fully dry in thicker coated breeds. Once it dries and is absorbed, safe for cats :)

Guest donatella

Thanks for the response all!

She doesn't go outside much and is an inside unit dog but we're moving soon and i'm trying to get a house whereby she has some grass to play on and i'd hate to think she picks up some fleas or ticks on our walks so take preventative just in case but if I don't need to be putting any extra chemicals onto her I don't see the point either, especially seeing as she's so small. Hard to do a tick search on her though as she doesn't sit still, might try to integrate it into our brush time as I can only imagine the ticks here in Qld are running rife this hot season. I live in surburban area though and don't take her through bushland so hoping that helps.

Might change my heartworm if the drontal doesn't cover all bases.