What Do You Do With Your Dogs When You Go Away?

aussielover

What  

135 members have voted

1. 1. What arrangements do you have for your dogs when you go away?

• House sitter
    • Stay with a friend/family
    • Stay at breeders
    • Leave at home with someone to check/walk them daily
    • Boarding kennels- individual run
    • Boarding kennels where they can run with other dogs
    • Boarding kennels at a veterinary hospital
    • Get a professional (ie paid) pet sitter
    • Other
    • I have never left my dog

If we're only going away overnight, we ask our neighbours to come and feed our little dog. If it's any longer than that he goes to stay at work, where he is doted on by all the nurses. He's quite a social little beastie so he couldn't care less if we leave him with other hoomans :laugh:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We haven't gone away in ages, but when we did (and only had 2 dogs) they went to a lovely boarding kennel. Now if we were to go away we would board them with one of our dog's breeders, who is also a friend. We know they understand our dogs and our breeds and what they need.

we go away a lot and I am happy to know they are safe in a kennel with people I trust with my precious dogs. At Christmas the puppy may go with the pack but we also have the offer of her breeder to take her. I think they will be better all together. I have always used kennels..all my life and that is a long time really :D They are completely safe and are in kennels where dogs really are loved and understood.I don't judge love and understanding on extra payment for cuddles etc. I don't want my dogs walked outside the kennel area.

I think family like Mum and Dad or close siblings would be fantastic but the pressure on friends would be too much, well for my dogs anyway :)

Go Away? Take a Holiday? How does one do that?

No way can we go away and leave the animals but that's OK we love being home with them. We use to have friends that lived close that had as many animals as us so that made it easy we use to look after each others animals but they have moved so no longer an option.

I used to use kennels here till i feel out with the owners and have heard horrible things about how they have been run the last few years

Mine stay at home with mum and dad popping over morning and night

When i go away for a few weeks next year I have found a old friend who is going to come and live here for that time and care for them all.

Well mine are a mixture depending on how long I am going away for.

One time I was going for 3 nights and Rommi had come into season.

Due to hearing about dogs becoming pregnant after going to the only kennels here, I left her at home in my own dog runs and my SIL came through twice daily.

Now I am building my own boarding kennels, fully insulated, aircon'd and heated. Dogs all run seperately (or only with their house mates) So I will be more than happy to leave them there once I have found someone I trust enough to look after the kennels for the odd day here and there when I want to go away :)

A kennel for mine when I go away and she can't come, she always seems very happy there and I always walked away knowing she was being well cared for. New owners took over last year and my girl stayed there then and was happy too this year my cat is staying there and Sparkles is coming on holiday with me :thumbsup:. I was happy when I rang to book my cat in because they have 6 Great Danes there at present and that wouldn't be the case if they weren't looking after them properly.

A kennel for mine when I go away and she can't come, she always seems very happy there and I always walked away knowing she was being well cared for. New owners took over last year and my girl stayed there then and was happy too this year my cat is staying there and Sparkles is coming on holiday with me :thumbsup:. I was happy when I rang to book my cat in because they have 6 Great Danes there at present and that wouldn't be the case if they weren't looking after them properly.

Would love to know the name of the kennel you use cointreau.PM me if you would prefer.

I get a dog sitter in for most of the tribe except for Cowan who is extremely special needs so if he can't go with me I stay home. Not only is it a lot cheaper than boarding them but they get more attention and are comfortable in their own home.

My husband and I have only ever gone on two holidays together, one being our honeymoon. The first time was just 3 days and we only had the cats, so we had friends stay over to look after them. For our honeymoon, the same friends looked after the cats and Kyojin went to my parent-in-laws house for the week so he'd have company from their dog since he wouldn't have as much human company. I really didn't want to leave him with them (or anyone really) as I don't really trust anyone with him. I think I would rather he went to a kennel. We would like to try and go on some holidays where we can take him with us, though I'm not sure how easy it will be to find somewhere that will allow us to have a dog of his size there.

Guest english.ivy

I voted boarding kennel with single run as this is what I did last time I had to leave Ivy behind, now I have Badger and haven't been on holidays.

I prefer to take the dogs but next time I travel, I'd probably leave Badger with my OH and take Ivy with me. Ivy is easy to travel with.

When I had to leave her in 2009, I felt confident leaving her at a small kennel as they had double fencing and she wasn't ever leaving the property. I would probably use the same kennel again.

OH travels frequently so I have to limit my escapades. When we are both away, I organise OH's mother, sister or a close friend to stay here.

Billie has spent nights at a friend's house during a family emergency...friend has a spare key so just came over and collected the dog after I rang to say I couldn't make it home. Very handy and I have done the same for their dog when needed.

Guest donatella

she would go to my mums. she LOVES my mums house, 3 other dogs to play with and a big backyard and I take her weekly so she's very familiar with the surroundings. I often drop her off just over night if i'm doing a Late/Early shift at work just so she's not home alone or bored while i'm sleeping. I honestly feel like I've got a child some days :laugh: