Cool Coats

Paganman

Im looking at getting a cool coat for my stafford but dont know which one to buy?Theres Cool Champions,Prestige,Silver Shade Mesh make one and theres a guy in Victoria called Ashley Read who makes them to.

Any recomendations?

Thx

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a cool champions and a microfibre (thanks Pav Lova!)

The cool champions one is much much better - but if your dog isn't badly affected by heat the microfibre one is perfectly adequate and works well too. To me it would depend on when and how you need one - dog in summer doing any performance event or even just a show ring run around I would go for a cool champions of the two I have, casual use occasionally for a dog not doing a lot, microfibre would be fine.

I'm interested in trying out the silver mesh ones and the chamois ones seem to be on par with the microfibre one I have.

I have the cool champion ones for the pugs. I also have 2 crate/trolley mats. I have been using one for my bitch with pups at the moment as she tends to get hot of a night for some reason. She sleeps seperately from the pups and so I place the mat where she can sleep on it if she gets uncomfortable. :thumbsup:

We have coated breeds (Welsh & Eng Springers), in full coat & live in the mega Tropics & we use the 'cool champion' ones. We have quite a few per dog & each dog goes through at least 2 per show. Our shows are mostly held at night in temps averaging around the 25'C+ mark & this time of the year 80%+ humidity. It is heaps cooler in the dry. Anyway, if we are 1st group & with the ESS amongst the 1st breeds in the ring - in temps of nearer 30' (it cools as the sun drops), we have found the coats quite adequate.

We also do Trials & Gundog stuff - the coats can be wetter for trials of course - 'cos if the feathers are a bit damp it doesn't matter as much.

With the 'Cool Champs' ones, we do them the night before the show, wring them out REALLY well (we even give them a quick light spin in the machine sometimes - although the makers say DON'T! we have had no problems & they work just as well & have never come apart). We then bag them & place in the fridge until we leave the next evening. They are then put into an esky with ice - either those frozen blue brick jobs or actual ice. I prefer the block ice as the cubes melt quicker & can wet the coats to much again (usually 'cos we haven't shut the coat bags properly! LOL!). They are icey cold & the dogs will stop panting & settle fairly soon after they go on. It is so hot & as they lose their 'coolness' quickly (due to our high temps) it has never caused any chill issues with the dogs. We change into fresh coats as required - the old ones getting put back into the esky in their sealed bags in case we need them again, as they cool quickly enough to be used again.

I have seen ours sitting on their trolleys, calm, looking about & not panting, & other short coated breeds on the showground panting away like mad - so - they do work.

The secret is to get them fairly dry, but cold, for the coated breeds - the Springers don't look good wet for the ring (although they love being wet) - plus after all the blow drying/grooming etc I would personally go mad! LOL! We don't use the mats at shows as the dogs get too damp - maybe we are doing it wrong? Anyhow, the coats work brilliantly.

I have seen the Golden people soaking the same brand under the taps then rolling them into towels & with a person each end, wring the coats really hard out that way & that works well for them. Hard to do that one on your own effectively though. A two person job.

You can use the coats on long haired breeds - just a bit more effort required to get sorted & find out what works best for you. We wouldn't go to a show/trial or travel without them - they are as important as drinking water etc! If travelling (& we can travel 3000 kms round trip for a show from here), they go into the car fridge, always, just in case we need them, or get stuck on the road or some drama happens. When dried out, they can be used in reverse - to keep the animals warm if needed.

Edited by springy

What have people found effective for coated breeds?

I have a chamois one for my shetland sheepdog. works very well. Also keeps the coat sitting nicely.

I did have a cool champions trolley mate, which both dogs would scrunch up, out of the way so that they didn't have to sit on it. They hated it.

Ended up giving my trolley mate to an ACD breeder whose dogs love them.

What have people found effective for coated breeds?

I love the chamois ones - light weight but stay cooler longer than the silver eagle ones I've found.

I can lend you my spare one if you want to try it :)

Thank you! :D

Springy - thank you! Those tips are fantastic. :)

Nevafollo - They look/sound great. I'll let Silvawilow try them and let her report on them.