Do You Cut Your Dogs Nails?

I used to always take Brennan to the vets to get it done for $15. However last month I couldn't get an appointment at the vets, so I read up on how to do the job myself, and bought a good quality pair of clippers. Luckily Brennan is pretty relaxed with getting her nails clipped. She just lies there and waits for the treat at the end of the clipping.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the ones that use a dremmel, how quick can you get the job done? Is it more time consuming that just cutting. I have thought about trying a dremmel but I reckon it only takes about 30 seconds to get one dog done.

If you only take 30 seconds to get one dog done you probably don't need to bother with a Dremel. Unless you want a filed off edge on the nails I guess?

Due to my dogs' terror and fearful behaviour (yanking feet away etc) clipping took a lot longer than 30 seconds.

I don't take long to Dremel, but I just do short sessions regularly. :)

Gracie needs all of hers done and she's terrible to try and do.

Ruby occasionally needs hers done, more to give her feet a tidier look for the show ring. Same with Holly's. Her's stay relatively short and if I wasn't showing her I probably wouldn't bother, but short nails gives her feet a nicer, cleaner look and so hers are done regularly. She's fine with it being done - she used to me grooming her feet/legs so it's just a part of that. She doesn't have dew claws.

Poppy only needs her dew claws done and she's easy as. Maizie, our blue Aussie, never seems to need her dew claws done, but she uses hers all the time, Poppy doesn't. Poppy's are poorly attatched and stick out more, they are pretty useless compared to Maizie's. I do Maizie's other nails for the same reason I do Holly's.

My dogs all run on the same type of surfaces and are roughly the same in exercise levels. I think its a combination of surfaces they run on and the individual dog, perhaps foot conformation or how fast the nails grow as to how often they need to be done.

I wouldn't pay anyone to do them, it's part of their regular grooming by us. They are all easy enough to do except Gracie.

As from this week... Emmy, I do myself. But, her nails doesn't grow all that fast.

Charlie, I take him to the vets to do. He is funny with people touching his feet now with an object. I can hold his feet but if I try to cut the fur around his paws or cut his nails, it's a huge fight! Luckily, his nail doesn't grow fast either. He gets his nail done about 1 every 2 months or so.

My guys also do agility and flyball, plus walked on concrete and still need to have their nails trimmed. I check every week when I do their full groom, sometimes I have to cut sometimes not. Nova is the only one who doesn't like getting his done, he just doesn't like the noise but still accepts it as he knows a treat is coming......the other two lay on their side and shut their eyes :laugh:

Would never pay someone else to do it either.

For the ones that use a dremmel, how quick can you get the job done? Is it more time consuming that just cutting. I have thought about trying a dremmel but I reckon it only takes about 30 seconds to get one dog done.

If you only take 30 seconds to get one dog done you probably don't need to bother with a Dremel. Unless you want a filed off edge on the nails I guess?

Due to my dogs' terror and fearful behaviour (yanking feet away etc) clipping took a lot longer than 30 seconds.

I don't take long to Dremel, but I just do short sessions regularly. :)

Thanks thats what I thought.

Guest english.ivy

I only do Ivys dew claws, but not very often these days.

My two are on concrete a lot of the time and they get walked. Don't think I've ever had to cut Badgers nails but I know he wouldn't mind. Ivy couldn't care less when I do her dew claws, she lays on the bed and shuts her eyes.

I just use a human toe nail clippers for her dew claws.

I have to cut all my dogs nails. I can understand it with the Cavaliers who live indoors. They get Dremmeled and trimmed if I haven't dremmeled recently. But usually once a fortnight it's a trim and dremmel for all. :laugh:

I don't understand why I have to do our German Shepherds all the time though. He gets walked on the roads and has a concrete back area and lawn but he has claws of steel and they don't wear much. The back wears a bit but not the front ones!

How on earth do you get away with NOT doing dew claws??? There is no way they come in contact with anything to wear them enough on my dogs. They are a must as far as trimming goes because I can't dremmel dew claws, they wobble too much.

Our local vet does claws for free to any existing client as he hates to see them neglected and some people can't do it :confused: It's really easy if you just do a bit at a time and my dogs get it done from the day I have them. Except the newborns who get it done the first week with teeny tiny human nail clippers.

Better to pay someone rather than neglect your dogs feet IMHO. I do mums dog for her as she can't do it herself. He isn't easy as he was a rescue but he's is getting better with it.

My older dog gets done every 6-8 weeks, could go longer on all but the dew claws however I prefer to keep them short. His back feet get trimmed every second time.

He hates having it done and I hate doing it but no, I wouldn't pay someone else - I think he'd take their head off if they tried! He had a not so nice experience with a 'groomer' at puppy preschool which affected him badly..

Did the pup last night, not that she needed it but thought it was best to get her used to the nail clippers. She wasn't fussed at all but wriggled and I cut a quick :doh: Luckily (or not) she didn't seem to notice and proceeded to spread blood all over the loungeroom floor. I had to get the husband to shove a rag in her mouth and keep her busy so I could stem the bleeding.

I reckon we may need to invest in a little pair of scissors for her for the time being!

How on earth do you get away with NOT doing dew claws??? There is no way they come in contact with anything to wear them enough on my dogs. They are a must as far as trimming goes because I can't dremmel dew claws, they wobble too much.

Our local vet does claws for free to any existing client as he hates to see them neglected and some people can't do it :confused: It's really easy if you just do a bit at a time and my dogs get it done from the day I have them. Except the newborns who get it done the first week with teeny tiny human nail clippers.

Better to pay someone rather than neglect your dogs feet IMHO. I do mums dog for her as she can't do it herself. He isn't easy as he was a rescue but he's is getting better with it.

I don't know!!!!

Maybe all the "landscaping" she does :laugh: She also does a lot of climbing over rocks etc

I check them regularly because I've seen the results of them grwoing too long in other peoples dogs.

We do it for free as part of a regular consult/check up or if they are having another procedure done. But I have found some people very resistant and annoyed that they have to pay for "just a nail clip"

Typically these are people whose animals are very difficult to restrain and require two people at least jsut to clip the nails!

My dogs are pretty active but still need their nails clipped. I usually clip their nails when they have a hair clip every 2 to 3 months. They have all been taught from 8 weeks old to be groomed and have their nails clipped, ears plucked etc, so are very easy to do. I just use the guillotine type clippers. Quick and easy.