Advice Needed For Seized Dog

LouBon

Why was the dog kept muzzled? Doesn't that suggest that the owner had some concerns about whether or not the dog would bite someone?

As far as I know, people don't muzzle their dogs for no good reason.

My dog gets muzzled and she has never bitten. It is a preventative measure. According to you she csnbe seized and killed because I'm responsible??

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why was the dog kept muzzled? Doesn't that suggest that the owner had some concerns about whether or not the dog would bite someone?

My dog gets muzzled and she has never bitten. It is a preventative measure. According to you she csnbe seized and killed because I'm responsible??

No, of course not. But why is this preventative measure even needed? My dogs don't need to wear muzzles as a preventative measure. What does it say about your dog that it does?

Hi, There is free legal assistance and advocacy of rights to homeless people in Melbourne, its no misunderstanding that homeless people are treated like crap and not made aware of things they should ordinarily be made aware of.

If he needs legal assistance get him to call, or someone could call on his behalf .(03) 8636 4408, (FREECALL) 1800 606 313 . This is the homeless Persons Legal Clinic in Melbourne.

J.

Edited by GeckoTree

My suggestion is for you to find a lawyer willing to act for him promptly.

Then have a whip round & fund raise to pay for it going to all the places & people who are familiar with them both. Media attention & radio support for the lawyers fee would be a great help.

There are free lawyers but I doubt this mans dog will be given top priority with them.

Pay & you get instant results & action. Good luck.

Why was the dog kept muzzled? Doesn't that suggest that the owner had some concerns about whether or not the dog would bite someone? And why would he be concerned about that? Could it be because maybe the dog had bitten someone in the past?

Maybe he had his dog muzzled so that nobody could ever accuse his dog of biting them. I bought my dog a muzzle to wear at the offlead park even though he has never hurt a person or animal. The reason being, my dog is a bull breed, and even if another dog started something, chances are, my dog would be blamed. It actually happened when my dog was onlead, and attacked by a dog. The owner tried it on about his breed. Luckily the ranger wasn't stupid. Something along these lines may have been why the dog was muzzled. :)

I don't use my dogs muzzle, just don't bother going to offlead parks anymore.

Good idea to get the man a solicitor. The dog would be kept at the Lost Dog's Home in North Melbourne.........poor dog. He won't be allowed to visit the dog at all, that is how they are.

The Melbourne council ranger should try going to the Treasury Gardens any day of the week and start booking the people who let their dogs offlead right in front of the Premiers office. It makes me very annoyed. There is also a duck pond there and a lot of the dogs chase the ducks. Tell that to the ranger if you happen to run into him. So over this state and the way they are so hypocritical with their dog laws.

I hope this man can get his dog back. I do know of a Solicitor who is experienced with dog cases, and he would most likely be willing to give some advice over the phone. He would charge though to represent I think. If you would like I could PM you the Solicitors details. He is a very nice man. :)

Seems lower than low to take away the companion of a homeless man when he has so little already... Even if Bull was muzzled, his owner was clearly concerned about doing the right thing. I would be very interested to her about the details of the complaint made; my suspicion is it may be somebody who doesn't like the idea of homeless people and was hoping to stir up trouble.

No, of course not. But why is this preventative measure even needed? My dogs don't need to wear muzzles as a preventative measure. What does it say about your dog that it does?

I can't speak for Megan and her dog, but for mine it says that he doesn't appreciate being rushed at by strange dogs. I muzzle him for walks in the hope that idiot owners will think twice about letting their bloody dog/s get in my dog's face.

Tragic that someone who is down and out and finds a dog his best friend has the dog seized. I don't have a solution. But it may be worth pointing out, from the perspective of social costs and benefits, it's a lot better to let the poor guy be able to keep his loved companion, and hopefully find a safe place for both of them, than to kill the dog and have the guy end up in a prison or loony bin.

Thanks very much for the replies. I have passed on all the info and will have an update as soon as we hear anything. Poor guy would have had a dreadful weekend without his best friend :(

We have made a phone available for him and will encourage/help him to get in touch with the contacts supplied.

This is just terribly sad. Poor man and poor Bull.

So angry at whoever made the complaint (if one was really made) and so mad at the Rangers. That is just the lowest of the low.

I truly hope he gets Bull back.

Would talk to Legal Aid and the Homeless People Advocates, they would be best options at this stage. If you can get some media attention on it, a solicitor might front up and do it for free.

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is a bit older but is there any news on poor bull and his owner?:) the court date would've been in december judging by dates?:)

I would like to know the result as well?

That is such a sad story, why the hell couldn't they have given him a warning in the circumstances, the dog to a homeless man would be his life, I would happily donate a rego for the dog like many others would if it came to that, what a disgusting situation :cry:

Hi all,

I'm glad someone has brought this up, was searching for the thread the other day to update and couldn't find it...

Good news in time for Christmas with this case. The court hearing was a couple of weeks ago. As I understand it, a member of the public provided Mr M with defence barrister and a solicitor and he had a very well respected, 'very distinguished' member of the public and former dog judge, breeder and exhibitor who showed up in court to provide a positive character reference .

He was also accompanied by members of the community ( shopkeepers from the area) who knew he and Bull and wanted to show their support.

He has been put on a six month 'undertaking to behave' and Bull is to be muzzled at all times in public. The two have been reunited and mr M and Bull are happily back together.

Goes to show, we should never underestimate the power of community support. :thumbsup:

How lovely to see the members of his community coming forward to assist him. Shame on the person who made the complaint in the first place. Hope they realise that through no fault of their own, they could very well end up in Mr M's shoes one day.