Give Me The Bad Points!

bossyboo

Hi

After my last post I had it narrowed down to a Whippet or a Shetland Sheepdog. But my husband has thought about maybe looking at a bit bigger dog. So I want opinions from the experts or people that have owned these breeds, whats the bad points or things I should know?

Golden Retriever

Rough Collie

Welsh Springer

I have also thought about a Newfoundland but I have never owned a giant breed before so I thought it might be abit out of my depth.. Or any other suggestions of breeds that may suit. I may still go back to my first two choices, but you know it has too be a family decision :) Back track have 2 kids 3 and 6 have good sized yard walk every second day but exercise in back yard everyday with our Aussie Terrier Dusty!

Thanks Heaps

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just my 2c worth.... why not look at short coated breeds? easier to keep cool/search for ticks/groom . Large dogs take up extra room in cars ..and cost more in medications/boarding etc.

ok yes open to suggestions what would you recommend? :D

I have never owned any of those breeds, but can I just say that I think collies are amongst the sweetest, prettiest dogs ever? I often sit near them at dog shows and they are just delightful, gentle souls, and so, so beautiful.

All three of those breeds would need more exercise than a walk every second day. Goldens, whilst they are lovely dogs, shed like nothing else on earth :) If you really want a bigger breed, would you consider a greyhound which has tested well with small dogs?

All three of those breeds would need more exercise than a walk every second day. Goldens, whilst they are lovely dogs, shed like nothing else on earth :) If you really want a bigger breed, would you consider a greyhound which has tested well with small dogs?

Yes I am open to suggestions I will run greyhound past the big chief :D we only walk every second day at the moment because we have a huge back yard which backs on to an open field with abit of bush so most days I just open the gate and have a walk around there. Then the other days we walk to the beach.

Yes I am open to suggestions I will run greyhound past the big chief :D we only walk every second day at the moment because we have a huge back yard which backs on to an open field with abit of bush so most days I just open the gate and have a walk around there. Then the other days we walk to the beach.

LappieHappy what is the dog in the picture? And would goldens shed more than Collies?

no to a greyhound then, no letting them loose to run around in the bush.

no to a greyhound then, no letting them loose to run around in the bush.

no to any dog being allowed to do that, really.... :(

I still have a harness and lead on Dusty all the time. Its just easier to go walking there with the kids as we don't have any roads to cross.

LappieHappy what is the dog in the picture? And would goldens shed more than Collies?

Bossyboo, that's Tarja, my Finnish Lapphund, at about 6 months of age. I should update her photo!

Goldens tend to shed all the time, Collies, like other double coated breeds, tend to have one huge coat "blow" all at once, once or twice a year and lose very little for the rest of the time. I guess overall it evens out!

Oh yeah, scratch greyhounds, they usually can't really be trusted to let run off leash without very secure fences. A walk around the paddock is still a bit of a walk, I was thinking more that the dogs would be in the yard on non-walk days. Perhaps a more mellow example of the breeds mentioned, provided that there was plenty of training? In that situation a long coated breed would need to be checked fairly carefully for ticks and grass seeds, but I think that was covered when discussing Shelties.

Goldens tend to shed all the time

My golden does not shed throughout the year. She sheds twice a year and rest of the time it's minimal shedding though I do brush her everyday to keep her coat shiny and fluffy (but then I love grooming my dogs :) )

Goldens are lovely dogs. Extremely affectionate. But they can be quite a handful. They like to be close to the human family and require a lot of exercise. My goldy whines if she misses a walk and loves to do zoomies around the dog park or the backyard.

My golden does not shed throughout the year. She sheds twice a year and rest of the time it's minimal shedding though I do brush her everyday to keep her coat shiny and fluffy (but then I love grooming my dogs :) )

Goldens are lovely dogs. Extremely affectionate. But they can be quite a handful. They like to be close to the human family and require a lot of exercise. My goldy whines if she misses a walk and loves to do zoomies around the dog park or the backyard.

......... and after owning German Shepherds I have also found Goldies LOVE their food!!!!! We have worked with our Goldie and taught him manners when it comes to food/eating but the first time I gave him a chicken neck as a pup he literally sucked it up and it was gone :eek:. Exercise is very important or weight can easily become an issue.

Edited by gsdog2

I have 3 goldies, But only had this breed recently over the last 4 years.

Yes the shed like crazy, but a good brush once a week with a dead coat pulling brush is more then enough. may be 2 a week after winter for a month or 2.

Goldies do have a sense to put things in their mouths, so keeping an eye on they with small sticks (or the really big ones when they try and run past you with it) and also things like toads.

Most seem to like to over eat so keeping a close eye on how much you give cause they won't stop. And act as if they've never been fed. Biggest sooky eyes so you'll have to have some discipline not to give in.

I live on acreage so I don't actually go for a walk as per say. But if I'm not in the yard with them they have to be secured cause even if you've just spent 4 hours with them play and stuff they may go for their own walk. My 3 yr old has grown out of that she never gets penned any more but the 2 youngins can't be trusted. And where i am it is really bad cause farmers won't go for a closer look to make sure they aren't dingos.

And of course training is essential.

Make sure your breeder goes through any health problems with you. They are screened for hips /elbows /heart/ and eyes.

I haven't owned any of those breeds, but my grandparents had 3 rough collies not so long ago and they were just gorgeous dogs - tolerated my sister and I climbing all over them when we were younger (under supervision of course!) I remember a lot of grooming and washing, but to be fair 3 long coated dogs of any breed would create that. My grandparents trialled all 3 of them in obedience and if I had more space, I'd have one in a heartbeat, just beautiful dogs!

I think a smooth collie could be an excellent choice.

I think Goldies and welsh springer spaniels (which are a medium size dog anyway) would require more exercise than a walk every second day.

Collies are lovely but are you up for the grooming? Did you say before you were in a tick area? I would be worried about ticks in a dog with a coat this length, although I am sure others manage fine :)

The all-year round shedding is the only draw back to owning my Goldie. It is relentless & does my head in!

But she is worth it for her amazing temperament.

I talk about our next dog being short coated because of this, but I cant guarantee I wouldnt change my mind because I adore Goldies so much! :laugh:

IF I did change to a short coated breed though, I'd like it to be a gun dog breed. I prefer their softer, more people focused personalities.

In which case it would be a toss up between a vizsla and a Pointer.... Or a Weimaraner and a GSP. :laugh:

Have you considered any of these breeds? The shorter coats would suit a tick area better I would think.