Poison Kills Dogs

RubyBlue

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2011/11/08/289511_news.html

"TWO dogs have died and another is recovering at a Geelong vet clinic after being poisoned in a Whittington backyard on Sunday.

The vet treating the surviving dog believes the poisonings were deliberate.

Dog owner Samantha Blackley yesterday said her husband, Brodie, had returned from work about 10.45am on Sunday to find the family's four-year-old kelpie and five-year-old border collie dead.

Their 10-month-old great dane was convulsing, vomiting and close to death.

"Brodie was yelling, 'The dogs are dead, the dogs are dead'," Ms Blackley said.

Five months pregnant, Mrs Blackley said she helped her husband "wrestle" the 65kg great dane into their car.

Your Say

"What a disgusting and cruel thing to do. Dogs that are poisoned suffer a slow and agonizing death. The two breeds (of dog) killed are usually very placid and loving breeds. I hope the animal/s that did this get caught and publicly named and shamed!"

Bill

The dog, Duke, was rushed to vet clinic Best Friends Pet SuperCentre in Fyans St, where he was still receiving treatment, Ms Blackley said.

Vet Robyn Blackwell said it appeared the dogs had ingested "some sort of stimulant", causing them to over-heat and have seizures. Dr Blackwell said she did not want to speculate on the "extremely potent" type of poison that might have been used.

"But we've taken blood samples," Dr Blackwell said.

She said she had seen a lot poisonings in her years as a vet, nearly all of them accidental.

"But not this one," she said. "This was not an accidental one."

Ms Blackley said she was away from her Wilson's Rd home for only an hour or so on Sunday morning, during which time the dogs were poisoned.

Both Bindi, the kelpie, and Buddy, the border collie, weighed about 25kg, she said.

"The only thing which kept Duke alive long enough to get to the vet was his size," Mrs Blackley said.

The poisonings, which had been reported to police, followed an incident a few weeks ago in which the gate to the backyard was opened and the dogs got out, Ms Blackley said.

On that occasion, Buddy had been hit by a car.

A couple of months before that, the family had received an anonymous letter saying the dogs barked too much.

"We took measures to try and address their barking," Mrs Blackley said.

"And after that, we kept asking our neighbours if the dogs were barking too much and they kept reassuring us that they didn't bark any more than other dogs."

Ms Blackley said she had not slept since Sunday and both she and Brodie were broken-hearted.

"Those dogs particularly the border collie were like our children, we loved them," she said. Mr Blackley labelled the person who poisoned the dogs "a cruel, gutless coward".

The family was facing a veterinary bill amounting to thousands of dollars, she said.

Dr Blackwell pleaded with people who had problems with barking dogs to pursue the issue through proper channels, such as councils.

"Poisoning and killing animals isn't the answer," she said.

City of Greater Geelong manager of health and local laws Steve Sodomaco said the reported dog poisonings were now a police matter.

He said the council was liaising with police as they investigated the matter.

Mr Sodomaco said the council deplored the reported poisonings, and said the council's pet-friendly policies were designed to provide a variety of ways in which disputes involving pets could be resolved."

:swear: Cowardly bxxtxxds !! Sometimes I am ashamed to be part of the human race :mad Those poor people to lose a treasured family member x 2, dear 'o' dear. I know exactly how they feel as I too lost my BC girl at 10 years of

age, due to being poisoned & I knew who did it but couldn't prove it. :cry: It is a shocking & extremely painful way to pass away. I would love to give them a gut full of ratsak & watch them suffer. Arse holes.

Edited by BC Crazy

Coming home and finding my dog poisoned is one of those fears I've always had. Not because my dogs cause trouble but simply because there are some absolute nutters out there who still think this is a way to 'fix' an animal problem. They are usually the same a*holes who beat their wife and kids, keep their own place looking like a junk yard and deal with even small neighbourly issues with threats.

What a horrible and unnessecary way to die.

Its what I worry about here in Geelong. I do speak to all my neighbours about it and tell them if at any times they're annoyed at all to let me know. Touch wood no problems but there are louder bogans around here then my lot. School holidays they get locked up if we're not home as I dont trust the gangs that roam around during the evenings.

Those poor dogs - some people are just sick and I hope they catch them.

The only positive I can see is that it was very lucky that the husband was home to help move the GD - I can't imagine how hard it would be on a pregnant woman to move a 65kg dog alone.

Guest donatella

there's a girl at my work who openly admits to poisoning her neighbours dog because it kept crapping on her driveway and even though she'd asked the neighbours to stop it they still let the dog out in the morning and it still continued its ritual :mad :mad :mad

there's a girl at my work who openly admits to poisoning her neighbours dog because it kept crapping on her driveway and even though she'd asked the neighbours to stop it they still let the dog out in the morning and it still continued its ritual :mad :mad :mad

:mad I would report her too :(

My (ex) friend once asked me whether he should poison a dog that lived near his block of flats, because it was constantly whining and stuck in a tiny back yard, with nobody ever taking it out or anything. He was actually considering throwing baits over the fence to put it out of its misery, and when I was horrified and told him to REPORT them instead, it was like a lightbulb moment for him. He genuinely hadn't thought of that. :eek: People are unbelievable.

Get her to say it on tape then report her to the police!

Sadly there are forums which any DOLer would find abhorrent on how to commit these acts, and even some users admitting to cruelty.

I won't post anything further on that as this section of DOL is public and I dont want to facilitate someone trying to look for that information.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2011/11/08/289511_news.html

"TWO dogs have died and another is recovering at a Geelong vet clinic after being poisoned in a Whittington backyard on Sunday.

The vet treating the surviving dog believes the poisonings were deliberate.

Dog owner Samantha Blackley yesterday said her husband, Brodie, had returned from work about 10.45am on Sunday to find the family's four-year-old kelpie and five-year-old border collie dead.

Their 10-month-old great dane was convulsing, vomiting and close to death.

"Brodie was yelling, 'The dogs are dead, the dogs are dead'," Ms Blackley said.

Five months pregnant, Mrs Blackley said she helped her husband "wrestle" the 65kg great dane into their car.

Your Say

"What a disgusting and cruel thing to do. Dogs that are poisoned suffer a slow and agonizing death. The two breeds (of dog) killed are usually very placid and loving breeds. I hope the animal/s that did this get caught and publicly named and shamed!"

Bill

The dog, Duke, was rushed to vet clinic Best Friends Pet SuperCentre in Fyans St, where he was still receiving treatment, Ms Blackley said.

Vet Robyn Blackwell said it appeared the dogs had ingested "some sort of stimulant", causing them to over-heat and have seizures. Dr Blackwell said she did not want to speculate on the "extremely potent" type of poison that might have been used.

"But we've taken blood samples," Dr Blackwell said.

She said she had seen a lot poisonings in her years as a vet, nearly all of them accidental.

"But not this one," she said. "This was not an accidental one."

Ms Blackley said she was away from her Wilson's Rd home for only an hour or so on Sunday morning, during which time the dogs were poisoned.

Both Bindi, the kelpie, and Buddy, the border collie, weighed about 25kg, she said.

"The only thing which kept Duke alive long enough to get to the vet was his size," Mrs Blackley said.

The poisonings, which had been reported to police, followed an incident a few weeks ago in which the gate to the backyard was opened and the dogs got out, Ms Blackley said.

On that occasion, Buddy had been hit by a car.

A couple of months before that, the family had received an anonymous letter saying the dogs barked too much.

"We took measures to try and address their barking," Mrs Blackley said.

"And after that, we kept asking our neighbours if the dogs were barking too much and they kept reassuring us that they didn't bark any more than other dogs."

Ms Blackley said she had not slept since Sunday and both she and Brodie were broken-hearted.

"Those dogs particularly the border collie were like our children, we loved them," she said. Mr Blackley labelled the person who poisoned the dogs "a cruel, gutless coward".

The family was facing a veterinary bill amounting to thousands of dollars, she said.

Dr Blackwell pleaded with people who had problems with barking dogs to pursue the issue through proper channels, such as councils.

"Poisoning and killing animals isn't the answer," she said.

City of Greater Geelong manager of health and local laws Steve Sodomaco said the reported dog poisonings were now a police matter.

He said the council was liaising with police as they investigated the matter.

Mr Sodomaco said the council deplored the reported poisonings, and said the council's pet-friendly policies were designed to provide a variety of ways in which disputes involving pets could be resolved."

This is missing a bit....from the homepage of the geelong addy site.

Meanwhile, an animal rights advocacy group has announced a $1000 reward for information regarding the poisoning of three dogs at Whittington on Sunday.

A border collie and a kelpie died in the attack, while a great dane required urgent veterinary care.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) Australia has offered the reward, in exchange for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible.

"Animal abusers are cowards," PETA Australia campaigns direction Jason Baker said.

"They take their issues out on the most defenceless beings available to them."

Anyone with information can contact Geelong police on 5225 3100