Yes ,i Get It, But Why.

Purdie

I know this topic has been done to death but i have to vent my frustration.I know people have to rehome their pets for many reasons;i get it i understand .Today for the 5th time i have emailed and in this case called a breed club about a pure breed dog/pup being rehomed .I feel by not contacting the breed club they are putting these dogs at risk.Ok they may find a great home for them but there are also dodgy people who can act the part of caring responsible people to get thier hands on a cheap undesexed pure breed;I was near in tears when i saw the advert for this stunning young pup 13 weeks old for sale for a fraction of what she was worth.There would be people on a waiting list for such a pup from a breeder.Another one resently offering a bitch for sale on limited register touted as ''good for breeding''.Fortunately the club were on to it right away.I don't suppose you can do much about it ,but if you come accross adverts like this give the breed club in your state an email and at least they have the oppertunity to try to help the dog/pup.Also if breeders could alert to thier puppy buyers about the risk of dodgy people buying pups that need rehoming ;although i'm sure you do already.The breed club are looking into helping this gorgeouse pup;so i hope they can. Sorry for the long rave but i needed to let off steam. Cheers everyone

I think a lot of the time some people aren't aware of all the different avenues they can go down to rehome their pet.

More education would probably solve a little of this, but some people do just look for the way they perceive is the quickest and easiest way to rehome their pet. I suppose people can be a little naive in the sense they don't think that anyone they choose - who appear quite friendy at the time - could infact potentially be a dodgy BYB.

Many owners are not really aware of some of the types of people who trawl looking for ads like those. Yes knowledgable pet owners can rehome to a great home, but many think that selling a dog as a BYBing bitch/dog is fine. I would be worried seeing an add for a Limit registered bitch as a "good breeding prospect".

Not sure why you think the owner rehoming their dog is going to be less likely to find a good home then a breeder or breed club? At least the people are trying to find a home and not just dumping the dogs.

No I said that they may well find a good home ;but often the breed club have people on thier waiting lists who have already been screened as suitable owners,so why not at least take advantage of the club as an option.Recently thier was a group of people with kids in tow posing as a caring family in order to purchase pure breed dogs and then was selling them on with fake papers for profit.Also if owners feel they can no longer keep thier pet then sometimes it may be due to them just needing advise from the breeder about how to manage a pups behaviour for example;if so they may find asking for help or advise may help them keep the pup.

Breeders put a lot of time and heart into breeding great dogs.I think they would be stunned to see one of thier pups/dogs for sale having not been at least asked for help.

One breeder emailed me to say thanks as he was able to get one of his pups back that was up for sale.

Guest donatella

About a month ago I saw a cute little 6 month old black pom advertised when i was thinking about getting mine a friend. I had a few nice email exchanges with the owner as i considered the pro's and con's to getting another puppy. they genuinely wanted a good home for this guy due to change of circumstances and were willing to drop the price to less then a quarter of what he was originally purchased. in the end i decided against it and as the weeks past i saw this puppy go from being advertised at $950 to $250 then nothing so i assumed he was sold. then just this week i see the exact same picture of this little guy, but from a different owner advertising to sell for 4 times the amount (this pup has papers). i was mortified so sent the link of the ad to the original owner saying i think they sold it for a cheap $250 and the buyer was trying to sell it on for 4 times the amount to make a quick buck. i then sent an email to the advertiser saying i know what they were up to and that its disgusting to shuffle a poor puppy from house to house just for profit when i knew the original owner dropped the price significantly so he got a good home, and it was never about money, in fact the original owner would have lost quite a bit of money having to sell him. anyway, i got this response to my email from the advertiser (i've starred out the naughty words)

U GOT A PROBLEM

Inbox

Not like its Any of your f*cking business lady, but i did not buy him because he was cheap, i brought him because he was suppose to be a play mate for my dog, they are not getting along, so now i am selling him the price that he is WORTH, and because the last owner needed to get rid of him sooner he dropped the price that low, AND NOW THAT I'VE BROUGHT HIM, ITS MY DECISION TO SELL HIM AT THE PRICE THAT I CHOOSE!!!!, IF YOU GOT A F*CKING PROBLEM SUE ME YOU B*TCH!!!!

i see flaws in this, their ad has been up for over 10 days now, if the dogs were really not getting along surely you'd want the best home for the dog and quick and not trying to make a quick buck by selling him for a profit and potentially having to wait longer. I don't think this seller will get their money for the pup to be honest as the original seller had to drop their price significantly. people just disgust me sometimes, this poor dog being shifted around :mad

I was looking through the Garage sale facebook page last night when I stumbled upon this:

My link

4 year old american staffy purebred male,cost me $2000,sell for $200 or free if you pay to desex him.He has become jealous of my 6 month old female puppy and recently attacked her.He has never had a problem before and has lived with my other female amstaff since birth.I would say he is no longer good with other dogs and is best kept alone.I have his full registration papers which arent included in the sale.

Just makes me sad :(. I hope that if they find this dog a home it is to some one who will be responsible enough to desex this girl and to seek help for the behavioural issues.

I was looking through the Garage sale facebook page last night when I stumbled upon this:

My link

4 year old american staffy purebred male,cost me $2000,sell for $200 or free if you pay to desex him.He has become jealous of my 6 month old female puppy and recently attacked her.He has never had a problem before and has lived with my other female amstaff since birth.I would say he is no longer good with other dogs and is best kept alone.I have his full registration papers which arent included in the sale.

Just makes me sad :(. I hope that if they find this dog a home it is to some one who will be responsible enough to desex this girl and to seek help for the behavioural issues.

HOw odd. Why would you not include the registration papers in the sale? What's the point of keeping them?

NOt to mention the fact he is selling a DA dog :mad

Guest donatella

Ah what wonderful grammar and vast use of vocabulary. I love how you can get a feel of the type of person one is from the way they type.

Is there anyway you can report this idiot?

No reason to report them, they're not doing anything illegal, just something completely unethical. I just wanted to send them an email to say I know what they're doing and I think they're morons. Clearly I struck a cord by the tone of their email which was all that was intended really. I hope the poor pup finds a good home.

My link

So you rehome the dog you've had for four years instead of the new puppy. Oh, sorry the new puppy is a money making machine female. doG forbid you think the pup may have annoyed the older dog and he may have only been putting her in her place. Hope this dog doesn't end up being KILLED for being pit bull type which is very likely as an "unpapered" Amstaff.

Idiots abound.

Edited by Sandra777

I don't think you should interfere by contacting the owner and i would not do that for any reason,I will send a link to an advert to the breed club.Just passing on information;if they want to contact the owners i think it is reasonable for the owner to get a call from a club that is involved with the breed they are wanting to rehome offering assistence.

One instance i know of, the owner already had someone coming to look at the dog but was pleased that the club had called and offered back up assistence if needed.

Having experienced many pure bred dogs being surrendered to me I can say from experience that many do not want breeder involvement for a variety of often valid reasons.

Just because someone breeds, it doesn't make them a perfect person. It doesn't mean that they are deserving of having the dog back either.

The better thing to do, if you really have to involve yourself, is to contact the person re-homing the dog and explain that the breeder might be willing to take the dog back and then let them decide if they should contact the breeder or even a breed rescue.

Ah what wonderful grammar and vast use of vocabulary. I love how you can get a feel of the type of person one is from the way they type.

Is there anyway you can report this idiot?

No reason to report them, they're not doing anything illegal, just something completely unethical. I just wanted to send them an email to say I know what they're doing and I think they're morons. Clearly I struck a cord by the tone of their email which was all that was intended really. I hope the poor pup finds a good home.

I was moreso thinking of the link on the sellers page saying 'report abuse' :laugh:

Hopefully they 'onsell' to someone with a heart. :)

im with anne. If you think it best that he breed club help rehome the pup i'd be sending a nice email to the owner of the pup and give them the info so they can make the choose as to if they want the breed club to help it is there dog after all. they may not know that the club can help but on the other hand they may want to do this their own way and not have someone else telling them who is going to be taking there pup. they have only had the pup a very short time what was the reason given that they had to rehome it. did i read it was only 13weeks which would mean they only had it 1-5 weeks right.