Crates Soft And Cage

mumof4girls

Hello everyone, I have been looking into what type of crate I will be getting for my pup.. I was set on the soft type but I have read about the cage crate and now i am not too sure which would be better.. I was thinking soft because it isn't as "open" as the cage style, I was thinking if the pup could see you clearly then they would want to get out more ie not settle as well. I was hoping to get peoples thoughts of both types..

I have 4 gorgeous daughters hence my concern of no settling if the pup was in an open type crate, the need to play or on the girls side the need to want to play if they could see the pup all the time laugh.gif.. Do you think it would really matter??

My dogs are trained in wire crates before using soft crates .soft crates ( a good quality one ) are excellent but easy to destroy,Wire crates have better air flow,easier to attach water bowls & do last longer .

I use soft crates at some dog shows depending on the need on the day

Great tip Sheena I will check them out...

Rozzie it's funny I was talking to a retailer re soft crates and they said to make sure I got one to suit the size of the pup as you don't want it too big.. I then questioned the financial expense as I would be paying from $80 for a small crate then in a few weeks more money and prob more after that confused.gif.. Makes more sense to do what you suggest.. What do you block it off with, pillows or boxes??

I have to use a large slab of cardboard box or ply over the top of my wire crate or evil hound pulls the cover in between the mesh and rips it up. At least when she was a puppy, that's what she did. She's better now. I have a soft crate for travel and that's sufficient. It's also much lighter and faster to set up than the wire crate, so I use it more.

Ie start with the wire mesh crate, and then graduate to a soft sided crate when you're confident your puppy likes being in a crate.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

We used a pp40 for the first 6-8 weeks or so; till Wilbur grew out of it. Then we bought a 42" wire crate on wheels that is situated in the lounge room. It has a front and side opening; currently we use the front opening. We also purchased a crate cover for it and leave the entire front part of the crate open for air flow. If you adequately crate train your pup they will automatically settle and go to sleep when the crate door is closed. The sound of the crate door closing is the antecedent to let it know that it's sleep time.

We'll be getting a soft crate early next year for travel & when at agility training but i doubt it would it have done for a puppy early on in the piece.

We have never used a divider in the 42" crate even though it was recommended. Wilbur had never had an accident in his pp40 and i made the call to not put a divider in the bigger crate when it arrived. Wilbur is vocal and has always let me know when he needs to toilet so i felt confident that he wouldn't need the divider. Had Wilbur not been vocal about letting me know of his toileting needs then i would definitely have used a divider to discourage crate evacuation.

Edited by suziwong66

wire crate here too. I've got a blanket thrown over it covering 3 of the sides, with just the front open, and he's pretty happy. Settles in there no problems, has from day 1 really. I think once we start competing in obedience and agility I'll look at getting a soft one for that, but for home, can't beat the wire one I've got.