Applying For My Prefix

~JessyBee~

I have finally decided to apply for my prefix! I completed the prefix exam ages ago, but have been researching and deciding on my 5 choices. I basically live on prefix.com.au (thanks Sway) trying to come up with something meaningful and somewhat original.

I only have 3 maybe 4 choices at the moment so I would like some help from you lovely DOLers please :D

Here is some background info: Prefix will be for Golden Retrievers, I do not like prefixes with the breed name in them (at least not in English), I live on a mountain :laugh: but couldn't come up with anything to do with that (nothing that hasn't been done to death anyway), where we live is important to us, we have Latvian heritage so would like to include that somehow, and I like prefixes that are easy to read and pronounce rather than 'interesting' spelling.

Some words which I have been playing around with:

Five

Hill

Mountain

Fog

Mist

Wood

Fern

Lake

Water

Nook

Dell

King

But I am open to suggestions! I have also considered using the name of my grandparents horse stud, but at 11 characters maybe it is too long? (It would be a lovely legacy since both of them have passed on and no one in the family has carried on the name)

Anyway thanks for reading! I hope to get some wonderful suggestions! :)

JB

I am not creative but immediately thought "Summit". Top of a mountain = summit. Golden retrievers are shades of gold, gold made me think of summer, summer = sum -> Summit. Summit also means "the highest level of achievement that can be attained".

Pretty chuffed with my brain for comin' up with that! :laugh:

Edited by Mim

Thanks guys. Mim, my neices name is summer :) I do like that idea. See - after all the thinking I did I never came up with that! Pays to ask for ideas :thumbsup:

Becks I have been leaning towards using it. I know a few people with 10 letters so it shouldn't be that bad.

Leema I have been thinking that. The stud name is Warratinnah. If anyone steals it I will cry :cry::laugh: but there is plenty of room to re-work it.

Warrateena? That way nobody could mistake it's pronunciation. Tinna and Tina on the end I would still pronounce Tina.

Anyway you spell it, I think it's a lovely prefix name and you should grab it up before someone else reads this thread and steals it ;)

Edit, I misread what pronunciation you wanted... :laugh: and actually, I probably would pronounce it "tinner" if it had Tinna on the end. That's how you want it, right? Warratinna sounds good!

Edited by RubyStar

Yes that's right Ruby!

Thanks everyone :) yes Ginger's mum it is an aboriginal word :)

I think I might put it down as it is as my first choice. Ruby Blue I think you are right there are plenty of names I can come up with even with an 11 letter prefix.

Wiskedaway, I've been conscious of that, a couple of their horses still come up in a studbook listing so it might get denied because of that.

Is it worth putting down 2 different spellings or not?

Yes that's right Ruby!

Thanks everyone :) yes Ginger's mum it is an aboriginal word :)

I think I might put it down as it is as my first choice. Ruby Blue I think you are right there are plenty of names I can come up with even with an 11 letter prefix.

Wiskedaway, I've been conscious of that, a couple of their horses still come up in a studbook listing so it might get denied because of that.

Is it worth putting down 2 different spellings or not?

If they sound the same (even if they are spelt differently) and one gets rejected, they usually both will. New prefixes have to be at least three letters different to an existing prefix (including overseas prefixes). A good way to check is to google and see what comes up.

I'm hoping so OSS, that would be good.

Is there any point in me including a letter to acknowledge the fact that it has been used as a stud name for horses by my family but is no longer used? And that my family are aware I'm applying for a prefix in that name? Or will it just get ditched? :D

I don't mind that SK. that might be a good idea so if I don't get 'the one' I will still have it in some sense.

I must find out how grandma and grandpa came up with it. Pity I can't ask them :(