Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs

Cam21291

Hi all,

I know of the different types of Mountain dogs available and also know that the Burmese is the only one recognised in Australia. I was looking to see if anyone knew of any breeders of the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog in Australia. They are a great dog but cannot find any breeders.

I only really know my own breed, Australian Shepherds well, they don't drool or shed excessively but they're not overly large. Just a bit bigger than a Border Collie. Some of the black tri males bear a passng resemblance to the smaller Swiss mountain breeds if you like that look, but you'd need to be prepared for a highly intelligent, active dog who needs to be an integral part of the family and not an outdoor fixture.

They probably aren't what you're after though.

Bouviers are fairly big, don't drool or shed but don't always have the sunniest of natures. They need a fair amount of grooming though.

what kind of personality are you looking at? If you're after something bigger there is always dogs like belgians, rottweilers, giant schnauzers, standard poodle, cane corso, dogue de bordeaux, irish wolfhound etc it will all depend on what temperament and end result you want from the dog

Bernese don't (shouldn't drool)

Was going to say that. If I ever have a giant breed, it would be a Bernese :love: . All the ones I know are just the most gorgeous dogs - and up for anything you want to do with them (well - maybe not agility :laugh: ). Don't know about shedding, but I'd think they'd be similar to Border Collies - relatively low maintenance as long as you get them started early.

"Is there any larger breeders that don't druel or shred excessivley that you can recommend?" I don't know many breeders that drool...albeit after a few drinks anything is possible VBG.....

There are large breeds that don't drool but what are your other requirements? And is size all that really matters?

I want one that doesn't druel, doesn't shed excessively, is good with children and other animals. Has a good temperament. Is fairly active (needs to keep up with my border collie) and no size does really matter that much but I would prefer a larger dog.

Don't get a Bernese if you don't like dog hair everywhere. Not as bad as some other breeds but they definitely shed. And no there is no such thing as a short haired Bernese. Just for the record, even if there was, I've had both a long haired and a short haired Saint in the past, and the short haired actually shed more.

I want one that doesn't druel, doesn't shed excessively, is good with children and other animals. Has a good temperament. Is fairly active (needs to keep up with my border collie) and no size does really matter that much but I would prefer a larger dog.

I don't think many of the giant breeds would be as active as a border collie.

I don't think many of the giant breeds would be as active as a border collie.

Some young Leonbergers are pretty active, especially the girls. They don't drool, but they do shed a bit - no more than a border collie though.

Anatolian Shepherd will easily make your size and drool requirements requirements

same with the Central Asian Shepherd

but maybe that is too big as they are significantly taller and heavier than Bernese.

They have less coat ...

but a lot more guardian instinct. And this is the sticking point for most (as it should be).

Both Anatolian and Central Asian will keep up with the BC no problem though.

And everything else :)

Edited by lilli