Your Ideal Dog.

Blackdogs

Ok seeing as we are dreaming, how about

1. Never needs a vet

2. Sub 4 second flyball

3. Clean run every time

4. Knows how to pour a cold beer

5. Can pick the right 6 numbers for sat lotto!!

Edited by Bull Arab

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cuddly

Bomb-proof temperament

Fluffy - I love long haired breeds

Intelligent

Friendly

I would also add - small sized as I like the "portability" of a small dog and that I don't need a huge yard. (they also take up less room on the bed) :thumbsup: Although my 2.5 kg Maltese does manage to take up nearly 1/2 of a queen sized bed if I let her :rofl:

Intelligent and interested in everything but has an off switch

Great with people and other dogs

Wash and wear coat not requiring too much grooming

Likes to cuddle

Healthy and pretty

I have found all of these traits in my Koolie.

Edited by Perry's Mum

1. obedient and easy to train

2. can self entertain when no one is home

3. friendly to people and other dogs

4. affectionate

5. go with the flow

the above is a combination of all my dogs - coolies, golden retreivers and a griffon, all my dogs are really okay with 2, 4 and 5, the coolies are good with no 1 and the goldens with no 3

Cool thread, really makes you appreciate the value of preserving all the different breeds because there are so many different features on offer.

1. Intelligent and trainable

2. Handsome (my idea of handsome which is lean, powerful, large and pretty head)

3. Athletic and energetic (I want a dog that motivates me and can keep up)

4. Protective (at least a deterrent) and loyal

5. Loving and affectionate with me and people that I like

and I'm going to cheat and add one more - it's not quite as important as the others but hey it's not my fault that my chosen breed has so many amazing attributes.

6. Short low maintenance coat with no doggy odour.

Doberman ticks all of these boxes and Sammy exceeds all my hopes and expectations. He is my very special boy.

1. Medium-sized

2. Athletic build

3. Medium length coat

4. Intelligent/trainable (different things I know but I want both :p)

5. Doesn't care about other people/animals

I have 3 Tollers and one is definately not the athletic build I like (Short legs and heavy build, not what I consider athletic!) but is very intelligent and competitive especially in flyball so makes up for it a bit but sometimes his body doesn't do what his mind wants him too do!

My other two are much closer physically to what I prefer and my girl has an excellent personality for dog sports as she is highly trainable, loves to learn and extremely focussed on her task and me (doesn't pay attention to anyone else or other dogs). My other boy is her father and he passed on all his good traits and none of his bad!

Edited by tollersowned

5. No desire to escape out the front door or run off if you drop the lead

Yeah, that's a bonus. Benson was a shit for that....I'd accidentally let go of the lead and it's like he was aways waiting for it because he'd be off like a rocket. The current dogs are excellent at sticking around, in fact Isaak hates his lead off when we're out and he sticks to me like glue and sooks to have it back on if I dare give him some free walking on the local rail trail!

At a dog show I can drop his lead while I pack the trolley and he just stays right with me, it's great.

My short list was;

Small- medium size, as we don't have a large yard

Smart enough to dabble in dogsports with me but

Calm enough so that if they didn't get a walk every day, they were bearable

Easy going enough to fit into our lifestyle, and get on with our pre-existing cats

A reasonable watch dog/alert barker

I narrowed my list down to a lot of the smaller gun dog and herding breeds; went and met a lot at shows,and something about the Cardigan Corgis just clicked for my husband and myself. We like their sense of humour (odd thing to say about a dog, but true) and the fact that they can be a bit standoffish with strangers, but never forget a friend. The breed just suits us, and Shandy is our first, but certainly won't be our last.

Large

Attentive

Willing to learn

Happy, laid-back temperament

Good-looking

I've got everything but his attention. It's one of the most challenging things about him, but I absolutely adore the fact that my dog loves everything and everyone. He's rarely suspicious or wary. To him, the world is his friend, and I love that he thinks that. I'm not sure I'd be as happy with a dog that had a strong cautious streak.

It is really hard to pick just 5 :o

- Athletic and lightly built

- Drivey with toys and food

- Owner focused and moderately affectionate

- Intelligent with good problem solving and trainability

- Plenty of Character a dog with a good sense of humour - I love a dog who will give me a good smile/laugh everyday

My current adult dogs of assorted herding breeds all come pretty close and my puppy Quinn looks like he fits what I want too :thumbsup:

Border collies definately fit my criteria, so can most of my other favourite breeds: Belgian Shepherds, Shelties, Papillons, Kelpies, Tollers.