Ranger Mauled In Gosnells

OSoSwift

My link

Two rogue Staffordshire bull terriers crosses will be destroyed after a horrific attack on a Gosnells council ranger at the weekend.

The attack left the woman with 13 open puncture wounds to her legs and buttocks, a 15cm by 15cm open laceration to the calf and severe bruising.

She is currently undergoing medical treatment.

The ranger had been called out to a property in Maddington on Sunday after a resident reported that two aggressive dogs had entered his yard.

While attempting to remove the dogs from the premises the ranger was savagely attacked. The resident of the house also sustained injury while attempting to wrestle the dogs off the ranger.

Police and ambulance services attended the scene.

The dogs, that registered to an address in the City of Stirling have been surrendered to the City of Gosnells and will be put down.

Not defending the dogs actions but you have to wonder why a trained ranger would put themselves into that position with 2 dogs already acting aggressively. What a stupid thing to do.

I don't think it was a stupid thing she has done, it's part of her job. Dog attacks can happen so swiftly even those trained to deal with that sort of thing can be caught out. I think this ranger was very brave, and at least her and her department were trying to do the right thing - get dangerous dogs out of somebody's property. It would have been worse if the response had been 'Gee, they look too dangerous for me to do anything. I better just call the police to tazer them, or maybe they could just stay in your yard til they get bored?'

Not defending the dogs actions but you have to wonder why a trained ranger would put themselves into that position with 2 dogs already acting aggressively. What a stupid thing to do.

Just another example of Council Rangers being damned if they do and damned if they don't. So what would you say if she left the dogs there and did nothing and then they attacked child? Accuse her of not doing her job???

YES. i did used to work as a Council Ranger and it was my job to go into these situations. thankfully most are fine and you will not be in any huge danger. Most in fact you could catch the dog on a lead and put them in the car, as they were just scared and if you took your time with them and didn't frighten them they would come round OK. Though you get the odd one or two who you would need to use a catching pole or in RARE cases a dart gun.

But there was always a risk and this time she was attacked. yes there may have been other options like getting back up etc but we don't know the situation so should not pass judgement when we don't know all the facts.

Horrible! Maddington can be a rough suburb.

For a little more on the story

http://www.perthnow....u-1226203688861

A WOMAN council ranger has been left with horrific leg injuries after she was attacked by two Staffordshire bull terrier crosses in Maddington at the weekend. The Gosnells Council ranger was attending the home after a resident called for help to remove two "aggressive'' dogs that had entered his yard on Sunday.

In her attempt to secure the dogs, the woman was attacked and left with 13 open puncture wounds to both legs and buttocks.

She also sustained bruising and required several stitches to her calf, which was torn open in the attack.

In a remarkable act of bravery, the owner of the home picked up the woman and pushed her over an 8-foot fence with the help of his son, while still trying to wrestle the dogs from her legs.

Paul, who did not want his surname published, said he was then faced with the two dogs in the courtyard of his home, and had to punch the dog in the face to get away.

"We're talking about seconds here, you don't really have time to think. I tried to put her over the fence while the dogs were still attached to her,'' the 48-year-old said.

"She said if it wasn't for me, she'd be dead. You're put in a situation like that, what choices do you have - you don't really give it a second thought.

"We got her into the house and everyone that was here was trying to assist her and stop the bleeding because she was going to faint.''

The reluctant hero said he also suffered injuries in the ordeal, including a twisted wrist, injuries to his hip and bites to his legs.

Police and St John ambulance arrived at the scene shortly after.

The dogs, which were registered to an address in the City of Stirling, have been surrendered to Gosnells Shire rangers and will be euthanised.

edited to remove extraneous stuff that came with cut and paste

Edited by sandgrubber

Why don't rangers work in pairs? Particularly when there is more than one dog.

Policy error put this woman in danger, and the poor man who called about the dogs in the first place.

I'm sure they'd like to. Also sure the councils wouldn't like to spend the money.

I ran a boarding kennel in an adjacent shire. Rangers were run ragged and turnover was very high. Pay, not great.

Why don't rangers work in pairs? Particularly when there is more than one dog.

Policy error put this woman in danger, and the poor man who called about the dogs in the first place.

Pairs would have been a great idea when I used to do that job. However most of the Councils I worked for only had a limited number of staff and vehicles and would have had sooo many jobs on any given day that they could not have 2 rangers in the same vehicle and got even close to meeting the public's expectations of how fast a job should be completed. It was also common for the first ranger available to attend an aggressive animal incident ASAP. We don't know what went on in the yard!!

Just another example of Council Rangers being damned if they do and damned if they don't. So what would you say if she left the dogs there and did nothing and then they attacked child? Accuse her of not doing her job???

YES. i did used to work as a Council Ranger and it was my job to go into these situations. thankfully most are fine and you will not be in any huge danger. Most in fact you could catch the dog on a lead and put them in the car, as they were just scared and if you took your time with them and didn't frighten them they would come round OK. Though you get the odd one or two who you would need to use a catching pole or in RARE cases a dart gun.

But there was always a risk and this time she was attacked. yes there may have been other options like getting back up etc but we don't know the situation so should not pass judgement when we don't know all the facts.

A dart gun or a tazer could have been a very useful tool to use in a situation where you have 2 aggressive dogs and could have saved this ranger a whole lot of personal injury in this instance.

Would cost councils and ratepayers much less than additional staff and compo premiums.

These roaming aggressive dogs would be put down, so I have no qualms about a tazer or dart gun being used.

Just a pity it could not be used on the owner who did not keep these dogs securely at their home.

Souff