Behaviours That Could Lead To Dominance

lovemyrottie

so, this is something that confuses me and i'd like to hear what other people think about it!

everywhere i hear of different thoughts, beliefs and opinions about dominance and when a dog does or displays such behaviour it's either apparently dominant or it could lead to the dog being dominant.

such as, a dog leaning on you, bringing their toys and pushing them against you, standing over your feet or legs, if a dog walks through the door before you, if they walk a tiny bit ahead of you on a lead (wouldn't call it pulling though) if you let them sit up on the couch next to you, if you let them sleep on your bed etc.

mine does some of those things (especially leaning on me and bringing his toys to me) but yet he'll obey my commands, he'll get off the couch when i want him to without a problem, he's never growled at me or anything, he's not at all possessive with his toys or food, when we have kids around they pretty much do anything to him (play around with his tail, play with his face, cuddle him, kiss him, you know name it!) and he loves every bit of that attention, basically i have no problem with him whatsoever and in my opinion he's not dominant at all but to others all those behaviours are apparently dominant behaviours :shrug:

basically, what are your thoughts and beliefs about these behaviours and does or has your dog displayed any of them yet they're not dominant?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the dog. My dog does a few of those things, but he wouldn't dare challenge me....at all. Other dogs, different story, he will try and dominate if he gets the chance and would never submit.

Rottweilers are very dominant dogs, the majority would dominate in the absence of a strong pack leader. Your dog is still a puppy, he seems fine from what you've described, if problems do manifest, they'll do so when he's a bit older (and more confident).

My GSP is the same. Leans on me all the time, stands on//over my feet and pushes his toys on me, but he never shows any (what I would call) 'negative' or 'bad' dominance.. he knows who is in charge and does what I say when I say it..

:shrug: I'm curious too!

Edited by Guest

I get very uncomfortable when people start talking about dominance in dogs, mainly for 3 reasons:

1) it sets up an adversarial relationship with your dog, suggesting he is always plotting against you

2) People think that establishing dominance is a substitute for training (I've met people that think like this at the dog park - being 'alpha dog' will NOT give you perfect recall)

and 3) it can lead to 'one size fits all' training solutions, which are often lazy and ineffective.

There are 2 questions I ask myself when I watch dogs: 'What is the simplest explanation for this?' and 'Is it causing any problems?'

a dog leaning on you - does your dog just like you, and want to be close? Plenty of dogs sink into your legs when they are just really enjoying pats!

bringing their toys and pushing them against you - Does this get you to play with the toy, or at least pay attention to the dog? If yes, behaviour has been rewarded and, from the dog's point of view, is worth repeating!

standing over your feet or legs - as per point 1, plus point 2 if it has resulted in pats or attention in the past

if a dog walks through the door before you, if they walk a tiny bit ahead of you on a lead (wouldn't call it pulling though) - I find if you walk parallel with a dog, off-lead, it will almost always walk faster than you. It's just how they move. Outings, walks etc. are exciting for dogs, they want to go over to this next smell and meet this next dog etc., and us slow humans are just holding up all the fun!

if you let them sit up on the couch next to you, if you let them sleep on your bed etc. - again, many dogs are rewarded just being close to you. And surely that's a good thing - we want our pets to like us, no?

I'm sure dominance over certain situations or resources exists, and some dogs are more prone to it. I'm also sure it isn't as common as many people think. If your dog isn't doing anything to upset you, why worry about it? If those behaviours do annoy you, train him out it :)

For instance I don't let my dogs go through the front door before me because then they'll have free access to the street. Since I trained this, nothing in them has changed except they don't go out the front door before me :)

(Hope this all makes sense. Late. Tired. :o)

(edited for grammar. Also to say your Lovemyrottie your dog sounds like a great little family member :D)

Edited by Weasels

Thanks Trinabean :o

If anyone has half an hour spare, perhaps during a commute, here's a link to download one of Ian Dunbar's excellent iwoofs podcasts on dominance theory - http://www.dogstardaily.com/radio/206-–-whos-boss . It's also up in the itunes store. He's obviously much better at saying what I was trying to say.

Edited by Weasels

I've had a couple of male Rotties in my life - and both of them were the most forgiving and tolerant gentle souls. Big sooky lala's actually...

One thing I did notice with both of them was that when they hit full maturity (around 2.5 to 3 years old), they both developed a bit more overall confidence in the world and where they fit in it. Both were intact, but I don't think that really makes too much difference if the dog is well raised to behave in certain ways in certain situations.

Basically, I am of the belief that a dog (any dog) is a product of it's upbringing - a calm and even owner will generally raise calm and even dogs.

T.

It is hog wash.

These are all behaviours of a happy dog who loves their life and owner. It is this interaction that makes having a dog so special. As a newbie dog owner I followed this advice religiously. It was totally unnecessary and prevented me from having some very special moments with my best buddy. I regret it.

However, if my dogs became aggressive at all I may look at the situation differently.

Now go and enjoy a good cuddle on the couch with your beautiful and loyal friend.

such as, a dog leaning on you, bringing their toys and pushing them against you, standing over your feet or legs, if a dog walks through the door before you, if they walk a tiny bit ahead of you on a lead (wouldn't call it pulling though) if you let them sit up on the couch next to you, if you let them sleep on your bed etc.

All complete and utter nonsense; so stop worrying about it, train your dog, set appropriate boundaries, and enjoy your cuddly, playful Rotty! :)

It is hog wash.

These are all behaviours of a happy dog who loves their life and owner. It is this interaction that makes having a dog so special. As a newbie dog owner I followed this advice religiously. It was totally unnecessary and prevented me from having some very special moments with my best buddy. I regret it.

However, if my dogs became aggressive at all I may look at the situation differently.

Now go and enjoy a good cuddle on the couch with your beautiful and loyal friend.

I like this post.

This is why I stick my 2 cents in when people talk about dominance. I have met numerous people both on DOL and in the meatspace who have sweet young dogs who's only crime when you enquire further is wanting to be close to their owners. It's a much better use of time and energy to build a good relationship and clear communication with your dog imho, rather than always watching your dog out of the corner of your eye just in case they are looking for a regime change :)

If someone's going to ask me for tips on how to alpha roll their puppy - like happened to me last week - they'd better be prepared for a loooong conversation ;)

I think its nonsense! My little one does all these things and she is the most harmless, sweet, adorable little moffat!

Awwww look at her!! Gorgeous smile! :)

I have to agree, Mosley is a leaner, he will flop himself all over you aswell, but it's just to get close, he needs to have contact with us and will often just lean against us and lie over our laps, he sometimes sleeps on the bed too :o but when it comes to obeying commands, no problem.

Lilli is the most submissive little munchkin ever so no issues there, yet she also does some of those behaviours.

I think a lot the talk around on dominance is just making people worry about nothing.

Edited by Aussie3

And all these dogs are getting exactly what they want when they want.

They just have their owners well trained. ;)

Yup, one of the many things I like about my dogs. They like a lot of the same stuff I like.

If it were ever a problem (e.g excessively bringing a ball, resource guarding the couch), then I would train the appropriate boundaries.

Kind of takes much of the fun & pleasure of owning a dog trying to over analyse & assume what every single thing & action means. Some of it may be wrong too. Your dogs are not a problem so just enjoy them.

I have one dog that scratches outside my bedroom door to get me up & go out at an unearthly hour most mornings. Not being very well I solved the problem last night by letting her sleep on my bed. :laugh: They are not so complex really.

Kind of takes much of the fun & pleasure of owning a dog trying to over analyse & assume what every single thing & action means. Some of it may be wrong too. Your dogs are not a problem so just enjoy them.

I have one dog that scratches outside my bedroom door to get me up & go out at an unearthly hour most mornings. Not being very well I solved the problem last night by letting her sleep on my bed. :laugh: They are not so complex really.

:laugh: I agree Christine, if it's not broke, why try and fix it?