Advice For A Destructive Pup?

TeePee

Hey guys,

Was just wondering if anyone had any extra advice for me to try to help my dog. She is a 16 month old Staghound x Wolfhound (desexed).

Basically she destroys anything she can get her teeth on - our mower, our BBQ, compost bin, any toy we have ever given her, buckets, our outdoor furniture etc (the list goes on).

We have tried kongs, bones, toys on rotation, removing most things from the yard.. Kongs she just chews apart (actually breaks and rips them), bones get chewed and when she is done she goes back to whatever she can find.

She isn't alone, we have another dog and they play together. She also goes to agility classes every week. We have a big yard and she gets plenty of attention. She does in day, night, when we are out, and when we are home. She used to pull washing off the line too but we've trained her out of that.

I don't want suggestions like tying her up or locking her up as I don't think that will address the problem at all.. Any other hints or advice that has worked for you would be appreciated!!

She has plenty to do! lol Plays for hours (with the other dog and with us). Apart from her agility training she isn't walked often as she is still lead training and still gets a bit of anxiety in new places. We are working on this though.

She is far from my first dog so I can tell you that she does get plenty of stimulation :) we have never had one as destructive as her though.. Even the trainers at her classes are baffled by her behaviour

Some dogs are just chronic chewers. I currently have my third one and a different breed to the the other two. The only answer is supervision when they are not confined to an area where they cannot damage anything. When they are being supervised give them lots of things they can chew and make sure you always praise them for chewing "their" things. I keep my dog toys in a basket and they get praised for going to the basket. If they go to chew anything else there should be an immediate reprimand. They do catch on eventually but you must prevent them from chewing your things when you aren't around by keeping them confined with their things. Also rubbing deterants like Vicks on things can help or for outdoor woodwork try Crib Stop from the produce store.

Give her things she can destroy and chew up, Cardboard boxes are good, bones, a motorbike tyre, even a small-ish tree branch. If you don't want to contain her to a run you could always section off a large area of the yard for her so that she cannot get to your BBQ or outdoor furniture.

Does she like food? If so there are multitudes of options to keep her busy besides Kongs - treats inside a box / cardboard roll / bottle / home alone toy..

dancinbs - thanks I'll give that a go

SecretKei - food works but we don't like leaving food with them when we aren't there because little fights can break out between her and the other dog.. We have also resorted to buying 99c plastic buckets for her to chew, but it doesn't fully keep her away from everything else :p

Lumps of tree thick tree branches or fire wood can often keep them amused for a long time. I find most destructive chewers like to chew wood and prefer it attached to the house (door frames, skirting boards, etc) but can usually be directed to wood pieces that belong to them.

Have to agree with the wood idea and boxes. My 14 month old bullmastiff is a chewer and his current favorite is a 3 foot piece of 2 x 3 which he drags around the yard. Also large cardboard boxes the tuff ones that fridges come in he loves and keep him occupied for hours.

Picking it all up is a pain but saves the house.

Also chilli spray on the things you don't want chewed is great they learn quickly not to go back to the item. I had to door this to one door frame as he would not leave it alone and worked a treat.

I know how you feel - I have several chewers. Very frustrating!!!!

My advice is ensure your dog has lots of toys and things they can chew. But most importantly everything else needs to be away or out of reach. For the things you cannot put away like outdoor furniture I used the spray you can buy which has a bad smell to keep them away (sorry can't remember the same) - I only had to use this for a short while to stop this problem.

At our place if you leave something out with the dogs while we are not home you can guaratee it will be chewed.

Edited by buddy1

Mosley likes to chew. Everything :rolleyes:

When he was a pup it was out of control but he is much better now. I agree with giving them things they are allowed to chew, boxes, toilet rolls, soft drink bottles, sticks etc. It may not stop all destruction but should help.

He now just rips branches off the trees in our yard and eats them during the day, meh, I don't mind if it keeps him away from the house!

Can you up the amount of walks she does get while she's being lead trained? This might stop her from being as frustrated.

Edited by Aussie3

If you don't want to contain her to a run you could always section off a large area of the yard for her so that she cannot get to your BBQ or outdoor furniture.

This.

We tried to spray things with bitter spray, and left the bottle outside where it would be handy to get to.... it got chewed too!

post-37184-0-32650000-1323132575_thumb.jpg