Getting Rid Of That Doggy Smell

Poppy's mum

I find I wash their blankets, put them away in the cupboard and before long, the doggy smell is back. I use essential oil in the rinse cycle - eucalyptus or lavender and omomatic in my front loader. It smells nice and clean after it's line-dried but the dog smell comes back -why?

Any suggestions?

And when I leave the car in the sun, well...

No issue with the house itself, thank goodness.

I think I recall that one needs to be careful about Febreeze around animals. Not sure - could be wrong, but check it out first. I find OdourGo pretty good. I wash blankets as normal and use OdourGo in the final rinse.

Are your dogs particularly smelly? Is that part of the problem? No offence intended, of course. But if they are 'yeasty' the smell from that can be somewhat lingering.

Edited by Erny

Thanks, I'll try those suggestions. It's just when I put eg the winter blankets away in a cupboard, I end up with a faint dog smell again even though they were fragrant initially. My dog's themselves aren't smelly!

sprinkle a few drops of a nice smelling oil, the good stuff not the cheapo ones.

Biozet - 2 washes and then lots of time airing in the sun first.

When you pack them away either layer them with those sheets you put in the dryer or put in one of those refill pouches of fabric softener.

Edited by Danois

Try a nappy soak solution

I also use Napisan - has to be an antibacterial and used in the correct portions to water,soak overnight. I double rinse to make sure of no residue.

Promise you will have no doggie odour ;)

I don't use it every wash just when I notice a smell remains after normal washing.

I also do this with their soft toys periodically as I think the filling must get mouldy after being in the rain and the sun all the time.

Edited by hilaryo