"single Parent" Dolers - How Many Dogs Do You Have?

Simply Grand

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two dogs and one cat. Both dogs are young and high energy and with full time work it can be a challenge at times to meet their needs without becoming exhausted. I wouldn't have it any other way, though. They are so much fun and I really enjoy exercising and training them. One is a medium sized dog and the other a small dog, but I find size is not as impacting as stimulation requirements. Two greyhounds would be far less taxing! :laugh:

The cat mostly just does his own thing, he is a low energy inside/outside cat.

The main thing stopping me from getting a third dog is the financial requirements involved. All my animals are insured and are on high quality diets. At this point in time I believe I am at my financial limit if I wish to continue to provide them with the best. :cry:

Everyone has been saying in here how full on Aussie pups are. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has owned both Aussie and Lab puppies before and how they compare? An Aussie will probably be dog #4 for me, so I'm just asking for my own interest :) I'm thinking if I've successfully gone through Lab puppyhood then I should be right with an Aussie? laugh.gif

I think they would be as naughty as one another only different kinds of naughty... Aussies are smart naughty! :laugh: Labs and any gundog really are just total silly goober naughty! :rofl:

ETA. My friend added another aussie baby when I added another pointee baby and they were (and lets face it still are) a naughty duo but was funny watching them she had it all over him cause she is just way smarter!!!

Edited by Nevafollo

Everyone has been saying in here how full on Aussie pups are. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has owned both Aussie and Lab puppies before and how they compare? An Aussie will probably be dog #4 for me, so I'm just asking for my own interest :) I'm thinking if I've successfully gone through Lab puppyhood then I should be right with an Aussie? laugh.gif

I think they would be as naughty as one another only different kinds of naughty... Aussies are smart naughty! :laugh: Labs and any gundog really are just total silly goober naughty! :rofl:

ETA. My friend added another aussie baby when I added another pointee baby and they were (and lets face it still are) a naughty duo but was funny watching them she had it all over him cause she is just way smarter!!!

Yeah they are very clever even as pups, and very manipulative. They know how cute they are :laugh:

Thanks for all the advice guys :thumbsup:

I don't think there have been any deal breaker factors raised yet... I own my house (well the bank does!) and the main reason I bought a house to live in (as opposed to an investment property, which would be better for me financially) was so that I could be sure about having the pets. The set up of the house is also quite good for dogs and I could manage keeping them separate when I'm not home.

Saxon and Riley are very manageable and are ok either together or separately, at home or out and about. That means I could manage taking 1,2 or 3 places and/or leaving 1,2 or 3 at home, provided I train the puppy to be ok with it. If an Aussie pup took up a lot more time with training etc that should be manageable as Saxon's training is at the maintain or improve to trialling level if I want to move into that, so could be adjusted to fit around a puppy. Riley's basic manners and behavior are good so day to day it's short training sessions to to work on obedience stuff.

Grooming wise, I'm now working with a mobile dog wash so have the trailer with hydrobath, dryer and other equipment, which I can use to wash/groom everybody.

What else was there... Ah cute puppy manipulation! I think I can be fairly tough with that... I suppose Saxon could be called manipulative, he's good at figuring out what he needs to do to get a certain result but I have him behaving pretty much how I want him to at all times (some people may not agree with what I allow but things are definitely on my terms, based on what I enjoy with my dogs). Little Riley doesn't seem to be quite as bright :o although he is mostly eager to please. He can be stubborn, by plonking himself on his bum if he doesn't want to walk somewhere but various methods work to improve this depending on what it is I want him to do.

I also really enjoy training and spending time with the dogs and love seeing the results as they learn things so I think I would find the effort well worth it.

Finance wise, this won't be straight away, it won't happen until my finances are sorted so I can afford everything they all need.

Can you tell I'm leaning towards going ahead with a third dog? ;)

I am a single mum of one terrier and that is enough for me financially he is no problem he is my heart dog and I want him to have everything he needs and deserves. Adding another for me will take that away from him and I can basically go where I like with him as he is small and easy to deal with.

We have had both Aussie and Lab puppies and I've always found the Aussies easier to manage :) so if you can face a lab for their considerable puppyhood I'd say you'll be ok with an Aussie.

A person I used to work for had 5 dogs, Labrador, Aussie shepherds and a German shepherd as well as her two children. Seeing her walk everyone was incredible but she had a routine and it worked well, shed spend a day and a night a week doing obedience training with them and the Aussies all shared her room. I actually adopted my Australian shepherd boy through her an older boy who we renamed shep. If you feel you can manage 3 and are willing to commit go for it :) and Aussies are amazing can never have too many.

Sounds like you have well and truly made up your mind!!

After reading radials post financially I hadn't given it a thought. If I was single I would still cope financially with their needs but because of hubbys earning I have the most spoilt pooches in town. :laugh:

TLC can I just say I love your xmas siggy.

Thanks

I wanted to know what people do about council registration if you have multiple dogs but by law can only have two registered with the council?

When I was single I had two cats, as it made it a lot easier finding rentals. Now we've bought our own place we have 4 cats, 3 dogs and thinking of getting a fourth! But our council only allows 3 dogs in suburbia! One of the guys up the road has 6 racing greyhounds!

Does this mean that a lot of people have some dogs registered and some not?

Our council allows 3 dogs per household at the moment and in the future the laws are changing to 2 per household. I got a Permit for my 4th, the council did a ring around and door knocked a couple of my neighbours to see if my resident dogs were any problem and then they gave me the permit.

I am single, live on acreage and run a rescue. At the moment I have 10 cats of my own, 2 I am long term fostering for a good friend and 17 dogs. Fun? Mostly. Hard work? Always. Rewarding? Definitely. Challenging? Ooooh YES.

:eek: Wow, what a fur family you have, thats awesome!

Yes I'm not one to hang around once a decision is made but this is quick even for me! It's just that there happened to be an Aussie litter here in Canberra, which is VERY unusual. I found out that the breeder and the parents are known to trialling people here and was told they were lovely so decided it was worth talking to him. I spent a couple of hours with the breeder, the litter and mum Ivy yesterday I was very happy with the breeder and the little girl is exactly what I'm looking for temperament wise and appearance wise, so I decided to go for it :D They're already 6 weeks old so she'll be here probably New years day.

really depends on your income and the breeds you choose

i dont get any help from OH

and we have been very lucky overall with medical costs all our lives with our dogs

but

we dont have working breeds

i can manage the dogs on my own...the kids help with feeding etc now but for years it was my job

if anything went wrong ...a major medical setback id have the support of OH's income...but otherwise i think it is doable

if youre lucky youll get a super pup that just fits in and has no health or behavioral problems

good luck with the dream

Guest donatella

Congrats Saxonpup she is GORGEOUS!! now you'll have 2 littlies and a big one, I bet the small guys still run the show though haha.

I'm really thinking about getting another one too and i've found the breeder I want with the best looking guys (another Pom) but from what I can make out from their website they have quite a long waiting list, I just need to work out how best to put my case forward as a person they should place a puppy with.

I wanted to know what people do about council registration if you have multiple dogs but by law can only have two registered with the council?

When I was single I had two cats, as it made it a lot easier finding rentals. Now we've bought our own place we have 4 cats, 3 dogs and thinking of getting a fourth! But our council only allows 3 dogs in suburbia! One of the guys up the road has 6 racing greyhounds!

Does this mean that a lot of people have some dogs registered and some not?

In NSW there is no restriction on numbers, so long as your neighbours don't complain.

I currently only have two dogs but have had 4 for many years and occasionally 5 Border Collies at a time. I find 5 is one too many for me to manage in suburbia. I have quite a few single friends on acres who have 5-10 Border Collies and manage but more than 6 seems to be when they start to notice how much work and expense they are.