"single Parent" Dolers - How Many Dogs Do You Have?

Simply Grand

I hear you met Riot the other day, does this have anything to do with your decision? :rofl:

From my limited experience, Aussies can be pretty full on pups and they really need lots of training not to be rough on the littlies. Ava loves to play with them and tries quite hard to be gentle but isn't always successful. In saying that they love to please so much that they tend to be very easy to train if you put in the time :)

Also, Ava was a total destructo pup, she ate a Hound House, three clam shell pools, the front of the shelf in the pergola, all the plants including bark off the tree, the pipes on the hot water system... so I hope you're not too house proud :o:laugh:

Yes, Lili was a feral child. :eek: She was the one in puppy class trying to start play fights, stealing toys and treats, one of her nicknames when she was little was Lili-gator due to the incessant biting. She would literally rush at you and try and bite your face, never mind the clothes you were wearing or trying to put on, everything was a game of tug to her :rolleyes:

A wrecked lino floor, two chewed phone points and numerous underwear/shoes later she is now quite a lovely well behaved dog, but they are a lot of work as pups. They are very rough in play and quite demanding of your attention, my only concern would be the size difference.

I'm sure you'd be finebut it's just something to be aware of. :laugh:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 12 week old aussie puppy currently and she is dynamite, makes shelties look like little angels. Last night i went out of the room for 5 minutes and she got the cat by the neck and pulled all his hair out. She didn't intend to hurt him, just jolly good fun.

I shouldn't laugh but... :rofl: :rofl: Everything is "jolly good fun" to Aussies.

ETA: On the barking issue, Aussies are barkers in general, although some are pretty quiet. Ava's one of the quieter ones but she is super protective and will bark at people walking past the house a lot. Before we got her, our older dog used to ignore the neighbours but when she arrived they both started barking at them :o She also barks to get Satch to play with her and can be quite persistent. Doesn't bark at all when I'm around though - go figure.

Edited by wuffles

I am single, work full time and I have 2 dogs. I do want a third (and a 4th :o) and time wise I could cope, but financially I think I'm best to wait. I could cope, but as I spend so much on my two already and if I want to get ahead in my mortgage, I don't really need the temptation of additional dogs to spoil :laugh:

The dogs are home by themselves for about 10 hours during the day (4 days a week, I work from home the 5th day), but they have each other. Then most nights of the week we head out for obedience or agility training or a walk, so my dogs do not suffer in my opinion because I work full time. They get a lot more stimulation than the average Joe Blow's dogs who might not work.

I'm thinking my 3rd dog will be another 1-2 years away :)

Edited by RubyStar

as a 'single parent' to the D - I know I can't get a second dog. I used to want one, but I know I'll just end up feeling permanently guitly.

I have looked after a few other dogs for a couple of weeks, and while I know D enjoys the extra company when I'm at work, he does like my attention to only be on him when I get home.

Walking and feeding with other dogs around isn't an issue, it's the sharing of cuddles and the one on one that I feel isn't fair for him so I couldn't do it permanently. Maybe if he had a 'sibling' earlier in his life (aside from two cats) we might be able to do something differently, but this works for us.

When my fiance and his dog live with us full time there isn't an issue because we just stick with our own dogs - D doesn't seek affection from him and neither does his dog from me. :laugh:

Hmmm now I'm thinking about logistics... I could divide both the house and the yard, with small dogs on one side and big dog on the other, with access in and outside on either side. It wouldn't leave much yard space for an Aussie in the yard, which is small so divided even smaller. I wouldn't want the Aussie to fret being separated on it's own though, do you think it could cope ok if I started it young?

I'd be able to manage exercise/stimulation with popping home during the day for several short walks or training sessions for an active Aussie. I'm pretty sure Saxon and Riley sleep most of the time when I'm out, I've noticed that their water doesn't seem to drop much while I'm away but when they're up and about they swing past the bowl for a lap quite regularly. They're also always stretching and yawning when I get home :laugh:

I guess a lot of it depends on the temperament of the individual dog. There does seem to be a big range in Aussie temperaments ranging from lounge lizard to completely insane. You've met Ava and from my point of view she's somewhere in the middle of the road.

Don't I know it. The poor cat is bald from his ears right down to his shoulders and quite bruised. We have certainly had our battles, took 5 days for her to sleep more than 3 hours at night, she bites and jumps all over everyone nipping and scratching and has put holes in half my clothes. After some very hard work she has improved but she is a lot of dog in comparison to my lovely gentle shelties. I figure they make them extra cute so you don't kill them until they grow and and aren't quite as baldy behaved.

post-808-0-38734000-1323401455_thumb.jpg

In relation to living alone both my aussies are kennelled separately and there isn't an issue but the reason I have 2 is because they really are too rough to play with the shelties and I felt so sorry for them without someone their own size to play rough and tumble with

I am single and own three Tollers. I got my third late last year after having just the two for 7 years, I didn't find much of a jump going from 2 to 3. The only thing that annoys me with having three dogs is that when I want to take two somewhere (rarely though) one is left by themselves, if I have another handler (my sister :p) I take all three though.

Jovi who is my youngest is very mature for her age, well she always has been the most mature so never went through the naughty destructive puppy phase, she has lulled me into a false sense of security and I am already thinking of dog number four who will hopefully be my first homebred puppy (fingers crossed! :D)

Well I have gone from 4 to 3 and then 2 dogs. There are pros and cons to any amount. I did feel a bit like a zoo keeper at one time as I had ponies as well.

Do you rent? Housing is an important issue I think. I feel more relaxed having the 2 dogs with council issues. I know I have a better chance of getting a rental if needed too.

I wanted to know what people do about council registration if you have multiple dogs but by law can only have two registered with the council?

When I was single I had two cats, as it made it a lot easier finding rentals. Now we've bought our own place we have 4 cats, 3 dogs and thinking of getting a fourth! But our council only allows 3 dogs in suburbia! One of the guys up the road has 6 racing greyhounds!

Does this mean that a lot of people have some dogs registered and some not?

Not single but the primary care & entertainment provider. I work fairly long hours but OH works from home.

I had 2 and life was soooo easy. Then came my foster failure no.3. IMO there is a huge difference between 2 & 3.

Not sure about 3 & 4. I was minding my friend's dog at one stage (ie had 4) and did not find it any more challenging than having 3. The friend's dog has the best manners and gets along with my pack.

I wanted to know what people do about council registration if you have multiple dogs but by law can only have two registered with the council?

When I was single I had two cats, as it made it a lot easier finding rentals. Now we've bought our own place we have 4 cats, 3 dogs and thinking of getting a fourth! But our council only allows 3 dogs in suburbia! One of the guys up the road has 6 racing greyhounds!

Does this mean that a lot of people have some dogs registered and some not?

Depends on the council but most near Melbourne require you to get a permit for a third dog/cat, this includes a fee (of course), asking neighbours if they mind and a yard inspection. Then they decide whether you get the permit or not, the other option is not telling them in the first place, not that I would ever recommend that ;) :laugh:

Edited by Aussie3

Everyone has been saying in here how full on Aussie pups are. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has owned both Aussie and Lab puppies before and how they compare? An Aussie will probably be dog #4 for me, so I'm just asking for my own interest :) I'm thinking if I've successfully gone through Lab puppyhood then I should be right with an Aussie? laugh.gif

RubyStar, I've never owned a Lab but I have had experience with Lab pups through work. If you can handle a Lab you can handle an Aussie :)

It also depends on the puppy, I've seen some Aussie pups who are really chilled out.

I like my dogs feral :D

My sister lives here with her large breed dog. From time to time she goes away for a week so and I would look after my two dogs (although I am now down to one) and her dog. I had no problems caring for all three or financially meeting their needs but it was impossible for me to take all three out in the car or for a walk because they all had different needs due to their ages and temperaments. The thing that made keepng them all happy easy was they also have different attention needs and are very routine orientated. One is my heart girl who loves to play and loves to be touched and one (who is now deceased) didn't like to be fussed over and my sister's dog liked contact in small doses and preferred her play to be with my heart dog so I felt I had enough time to give them all the attention they liked/needed without any jealousy or competition.

If you had three dogs all requiring personal attention, grooming and training at the same level of intensity I could imagine that would be difficult, let alone coordinating outings and exercise. If one required more of your time could you give it without it impacting on one of the other dogs?

We have also had four dogs here for about 6 months. The fourth dog came with an owner who worked long shifts. Everything was manageable except for outings and play time. We needed at least 2 people for that because the extra dog was teensy but liked to play rough and noisy. We'd also take two cars if we went out after squashing fears. Some nights having four dogs doing zoomies inside the house was more than my nerves could bare.

Edited by Puppy_Sniffer

I am single, live on acreage and run a rescue. At the moment I have 10 cats of my own, 2 I am long term fostering for a good friend and 17 dogs. Fun? Mostly. Hard work? Always. Rewarding? Definitely. Challenging? Ooooh YES.