Omg Expensive Desexing

Atanquin

the vet said he was sorry it didn't drop as he is such a lovely dog temprement and confirmation wise :)

Unless your vet is a breeder of your breed and is active in the showring, I would not be listening to their advice re whether your dog is/was a breeding prospect.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the vet said he was sorry it didn't drop as he is such a lovely dog temprement and confirmation wise :)

Unless your vet is a breeder of your breed and is active in the showring, I would not be listening to their advice re whether your dog is/was a breeding prospect.

He does agility with his dogs and he never said he was a good breeding prospect he was just being polite. Way to jump to conclusions!

Well this vet is the best I have been with them for years they where there for all my horses problems my cats and they did all they could to help our gsd kovu they even let us pay his hip op of and didn't charge us anything when we had to put him down we had whole practice in tears. He will be in good hands he is booked in for his op on the 2nd week of jan Hope it goes well

I doubt they have many easier or quicker procedures than a male castration when both testicles have descended...

Yep ..cat castrations are the quickest and easiest of things !

I can't tell over the internet but are you being sarcastic? I don't know why else you would repeat it like that... I don't know, maybe if a dog/cat has to be anesthetized to have it's nails cut that might be a quicker and easier procedure? That's really all I can think of. I've seen the procedure performed in person - and if you're curious, go on youtube - there's heaps of videos there. I've also seen piglets castrated with no anesthetic - they were from an organic, free range farm and without growth hormones they longer to develop so need to be castrated (with hormones they're killed before puberty). It was literally a 30 second procedure, and then piggy was back with his litter mates. They don't even need stitches.

If I'm wrong, it would be helpful for you to inform me (and anyone else reading this thread) of why - I'm not sure who benefits from sarcasm?

I doubt they have many easier or quicker procedures than a male castration when both testicles have descended...

I can't tell over the internet but are you being sarcastic? I don't know why else you would repeat it like that... I don't know, maybe if a dog/cat has to be anesthetized to have it's nails cut that might be a quicker and easier procedure? That's really all I can think of. I've seen the procedure performed in person - and if you're curious, go on youtube - there's heaps of videos there. I've also seen piglets castrated with no anesthetic - they were from an organic, free range farm and without growth hormones they longer to develop so need to be castrated (with hormones they're killed before puberty). It was literally a 30 second procedure, and then piggy was back with his litter mates. They don't even need stitches.

If I'm wrong, it would be helpful for you to inform me (and anyone else reading this thread) of why - I'm not sure who benefits from sarcasm?

:confused: Sensitive much? I can't say I read ANY sarcasm in persephone's post :confused:

:confused: Sensitive much? I can't say I read ANY sarcasm in persephone's post :confused:

I agree. I thought persephone's response was agreeing with and supporting you, J835.

Could you please explain why you thought it was sarcastic? That would be of interest to me (and I'm sure to many others reading this thread.)

I agree. I thought persephone's response was agreeing with and supporting you, J835.

Could you please explain why you thought it was sarcastic? That would be of interest to me (and I'm sure to many others reading this thread.)

Sorry, I think was a little upset about a sarcastic remark made in another thread. I think it had more to do with sensitivity at that moment than anything else. I hope I didn't offend Persephone - in her posts she comes across as a nice and very caring person. I guess that's part of the fun of talking to others over the internet - like if it had been a sarcastic comment it wouldn't have been written any differently and I just was in the wrong frame of mind. Life sucks a little bit right now. But all OT. $95 sounds like a good price for desexing for a kitten. Still, my vet is incredibly hot and a much welcomed distraction so maybe the extra $15 was worth it.

Just got a quote for my kitty and it was $95 I was very happy with that as I know they do not cut any corners with pain relief or any other part of the procedure.

That is what I paid over 10 yrs ago for a male rabbit to be desexed :D .

He does agility with his dogs and he never said he was a good breeding prospect he was just being polite. Way to jump to conclusions!

Your words :confused: You said the vet thinks he has lovely conformation and is sorry the balls didn't drop. Why is that considered jumping to a conclusion?

The vet just confirmed that Riley's second teste hasn't descended :( It hadn't when he got his puppy vacs but I was hoping it would come down to save him the bigger op, he's 8 months now so I guess it's staying hidden!

I didn't ask about cost, I guess it will depend on how long it takes to find. Poor old Riles and Zorro, sore tummies for them!

Just got a quote for my kitty and it was $95 I was very happy with that as I know they do not cut any corners with pain relief or any other part of the procedure.

Sorry to continue going OT, but when I got my male cat desexed they charged me $60! :eek: I had to pick myself up the floor. I was expecting it to be around the $100 mark. He recovered very quickly too.

Blimey you would be lucky to get out of a normal visit to the vet for itchy skin in Sydney for less than $100 these days.

To my mind anything that is in the low hundreds of dollars is cheap. And as for digging around for retained testes as people have said it is major surgery. I spoke to a woman with a wolfhound with retained testes and she told me they took several hours to find the testes Not sure if she was exaggerating.

Couple of hundred and you are done for life with desexing.

Try orthopaedic surgery, if you want expensive, TPLO is between $2500 to $4000 and that's only one leg!

Pets are expensive, it is not just the upfront costs, add up the cost of vaccs, food, tick and flea prevention and suddenly the desexing doesn't seem so much. And that is if your animal does not get sick ....!

Already clarified lol

Edited by Aussie3

Desexing is cheap because vets offer it as a loss so people get their pets desexed. Thus they actually have to cover their costs elsewhere like the dog with the itchy skin etc. Even at that price the vet is probably still operating with no profit margin if they are giving fluids (which I hope so when you can't predict how long the dog will be under) and premed etc.