Would Love Some Advice Please.

BC Crazy

Hi everyone,

My very sweet OH wants to buy me a DSLR camera for Chrissy, how spoilt am I. Im wrapped . Anyway would love some help with which one would be best for a beginner like myself. I mainly would love to take some good photots of my dogs. Ive been looking at the new Sony ones & they look really good. Any advice with which one to choose & where to buy would be great. Thanks, merry christmas.

Edited by BC Crazy

My preference is Canon - any model with a 3 digit number or less. The 550D or 600D would be a great start... and get at least the twin lens kit with it. Oh - and decent capacity memory cards!

My friend has an older Nikon that takes brilliant shots too - I'd consider Nikon maybe if I couldn't have a Canon.

I am not a professional photographer, and I'm no expert with all the funky settings of any camera, but I do take a hell of a lot of photos... *grin*

T.

Thanks T for your help. There are so many to choose from & it is all very complicated. I have only ever had a very run of the mill dig. camera, so I am all ears for some tips, ideas or suggestions to make the right decision. Im going to brouse the Canon website now, & thanks again for your input.

I have doing a bit of research this morning & although I like the Sony Nex 5, I think from the reviews Ive been reading it is not very user friendlly for a first timer. Was going to go for a look at the local camera shop, as kindly suggested but my one of my furry kids is unwell today so I will keep an eye on him this arvo,just to be on the safe side. Maybe tomorrow. Please keep posting any other info you think I may not know, which will be lots. LoL.

Edited by BC Crazy

For what it's worth, everyone I know who bought Sony has ended up selling it and changing to either Canon or Nikon.

But like WA says, have a play :)

I contemplated that but in the end imported a body that isn't sold in Aust. I had Koniika Minolta and don't have heaps of money to throw around and by the time I replaced my lenses as well changing was going to cost too much. I love the body I upgraded to (the a580) and have been very happy with my decision to stay with sony. The range of lenses available to fit now are much better than they used to be.

I go with the go to a store and try some out theory. I tried the sony SLTs and did not like them, had I not been able to try a 550 here and found good reviews for the 580 then I probably would have bitten the bullet and switched. One thing I hated about the slt range (a55 and 65 I think are the current models) was how small they were but if you are upgrading from a compact you may like that. I just found they felt cramped to hold and did not feel balanced with a bigger lens on them.

Hi Piper, yes I think a smaller camera would suit me better as I have very small hands anyway. Interesting post, it is just so complicated to find a camera to, suit your needs, budget e.t.c there are so many choices & not being up on all what all the bells & whistles actually are, makes it even harder. Just want to get it right first time if I can. Maybe this time of year might be lucky enough to pick up one that suits me on special too.

I would really recommend going into a camera store and having a feel of the different brands. I had a play with a Canon and a Nikon and the Canon felt much better to me, so that's what I went with. Which brand you go for is really personal preference. :)

Same advice.

This was the advice that I was given when I was looking. I played with heaps and ended up with a Canon and I love it. I got the twin lens kit and also bought a small portrait lens (which takes the most amazing portraits for an amateur)...

They do feel different and the right one will just feel right.

I agree with staffyluv - the right 1 will feel right. When I got my first 1, I was intent on Nikon but tried the Canon and Konika Minolta as well and I just like the KM. And now of course it is also that I am used to it. I have at times used Canons and very occasionally Nikons and they just don't feel the same.

My SIL went to get a Canon recently and walked out with a Nikon instead for the very same reason - it just felt better to her.

Another benefit of Canon and Nikon over Sony or Pentax is that so many people have them so if you have a hassle there is almost always someone around that knows and can help.

Canon and Nikon are similar in quality and really, you can't go wrong either way. I would always recommend getting one of the two because of the range they have and the quality of the images. I have canon (5D II and 7D) because i prefer the way they feel in my hands but if i didn't have canon, i'd have nikon.

Quick update, just home from camera shopping & am delighted with my chrissy present. I ended up choosing a Canon Eos 11000 Rebel with an 1855+ 300m lenzes. Can't wait to get into it.

Thanks to everyone once again for your invaluable help & will post some photo's when I learn how, LOL

I also got a 12 disc DSLR camera course so I will be able to learn at my own pace. I was going to go to the local tafe to do a course. But am not the quickest learner so this way suits me better.

Quick update, just home from camera shopping & am delighted with my chrissy present. I ended up choosing a Canon Eos 11000 Rebel with an 1855+ 300m lenzes. Can't wait to get into it.

Thanks to everyone once again for your invaluable help & will post some photo's when I learn how, LOL

I also got a 12 disc DSLR camera course so I will be able to learn at my own pace. I was going to go to the local tafe to do a course. But am not the quickest learner so this way suits me better.

Just reading through this thread I was gonna suggest the 1100D, nice choice! It's the updated version of my current camera, very user friendly - great to get started on! Have fun!