Where To Buy / Get Newspapers For Upcoming Litter?

Antoun

I did the friends route on the first litter. But never used newspaper thereafter. I find newspaper to be very messy, hard to clean up. If you shred it it seems like a petshop . . . and it gets all over the place. If you don't shred it it gets slick and makes it hard for the puppies to get their feet under them and crawl. If you can't afford vetbed (or equivalent), I'd go for old beach towels in preference to newspapers.

I am wondering where you all get bunches of newspapers which you use for your whelping box lining?

Do you collect throughout the year? Or simply go to newsagent or newpaper headoffice etc?

I ask friends and family to start collecting and also the local paper shop and service station let me pickup some of the papers they haven't sold once a week when I have a litter due. Also places that stock the local paper often have left overs once a week. Our local MacDonalds is a combined service station and they don't mind me taking the left overs the day before the new local paper comes out every wed. I like grabbing them like this as they are like new and store nice and neat, I put them in a couple of milk crates handy to the whelping box.

Cheers Lee

Edit to add I put bedding, kylies, towels etc over the top of the newspaper

Edited by rotts4ever

Yer and remember to ask freinds and family that's what I always did when I needed newspapers

Newsagents in our area just cut off the masthead to claim their returns so newspapers are bundled up for recycling and are given willingly to those asking for it. As we don't get any papers had a friend save them for us too!!

Yer and remember to ask freinds and family that's what I always did when I needed newspapers

Newsagents in our area just cut off the masthead to claim their returns so newspapers are bundled up for recycling and are given willingly to those asking for it. As we don't get any papers had a friend save them for us too!!

yep that's how I get my newspapers, other bedding on top

I asked friends & family to save their newspapers, & also asked at the local newsagency & supermarkets for their left overs.

I use them to line the whelping box & then the Vet bed goes on top.

I went through heaps of them when the puppies where older & they where pooing & weeing in their puppy pen....its amazing how young puppies just seem to know to go on the newspaper & not in their sleeping area.

I felt as if my whole life revolved around cleaning away soiled papers & replacing with clean ones though. :laugh:

I also asked friends and family to collect their papers. I had a lovely lady at work that got the paper every day! Also I collected the office papers - we get several papers every single day.

We did ask the newsagent as we know the owner - but he said they have to send the papers back.

However even with everyone collecting papers for us we did run out. :eek: I used so much! So next time I am going to have to start collecting papers earlier and find more people to help us collect!

I'm not a breeder but when I have needed lots of newspapers I have used the free suburban paper which gets delivered each week, the weekend papers which I usually read anyway. I also went to my local library which has a collection of free youth based newspapers, spiritual newspapers. Friends and family are also a good way to collect papers too.

school library for me..... (we get two papers delivered each day - australian and adelaide advertiser) - always papers on hand....

checking out your local school (high school) might be good (although most are on holidays now - although my workplace admin staff will be there all this week.)

I just managed to bump into the owner of a newsagent at a shopping centre nearby, he said to come down tomorrow morning just after 6 and he will give me a bunch of them... i am guessing i do this for about 1 week and i'll have plenty (hopefully?)

Thanks everyone.

P.S - i tried woolies etc, but no luck.. they said they can not give them anymore.