What Breeds / X-breeds Show Up In Shelters?

sandgrubber

Many DOL'r, including me, use the argument that pedigree dogs are less likely to end up in shelters than BYB dogs or DD's. Many of us have images of shelters overpopulated by one type of dog or another. I have a sense that some breed rescue groups are much more active than others . . . perhaps due to higher rates of people buying the breed image without understanding breed characteristics.

I'd love to know the facts. The only data I've been able to find is LA county data, which shows a huge number of bull breeds/bull breed X's (40 to 45% of all pound dogs) . . . and a spike in Chihuahuas a couple years after the Beverly Hills Chihuahua movie came out.

Has anyone seen shelter data that keeps track of dogs by type, if not breed?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that would be an interesting read. There does seem to be a high amount of huskies/ malamutes that show up in pounds. But I'm not sure how many Pure bred dogs show up in shelters as a whole. I'd like to hope it's not the ethical breeders dogs who end up there but the BYB who don't screen new owners properly.

Would be nice if a chip number could be sourced back to its original owner and thus the breeder. Would I hope lead to less being PTS as ethical breeders would I hope help rehome their dogs where possible and some accountability re the people it was sold to (which may give people more reason to seriously consider getting a puppy or dumping it in a pound) I'd also love to see chipping be mandatory before any animal leaves it's mum so we have less lost animals who are pts and hopefully back yard breeders would think a little harder if the costs of breeding went up a little (as many see it as free :/)

I would love all chips to have details conected that have the puppy's breeder on them.

Yes me too.........infact I would like to see a law here that ALL cats and dogs should be vaccinated and microchipped before being advertised for sale or incur a hefty fine .......it may put some people off if they have to pay out before they can make money from sale of pups and kittens .

Many DOL'r, including me, use the argument that pedigree dogs are less likely to end up in shelters than BYB dogs or DD's. Many of us have images of shelters overpopulated by one type of dog or another. I have a sense that some breed rescue groups are much more active than others . . . perhaps due to higher rates of people buying the breed image without understanding breed characteristics.

I'd love to know the facts. The only data I've been able to find is LA county data, which shows a huge number of bull breeds/bull breed X's (40 to 45% of all pound dogs) . . . and a spike in Chihuahuas a couple years after the Beverly Hills Chihuahua movie came out.

I would love to be able talk further about this .......but just quickly from my own experience manning the phone for our rescue and dealing with the pounds and surrenders ......the staffy/bull breed crosses would be no 1 type dog found in the council pounds . Out of the 9 purebred dogs that we have available for adoption atm 5 are from registered breeders . Three were surrendered by their owners directly and two came in via the vets where they had been taken in for euthanasia.Three of the other four came from pounds so we don't know where they originated from.

My first thought was if the councils are to provide this info, its accuracy would be suspect. Most of us are aware that very many individuals are misidentified by council staff and even vets, sometimes from reasonably well-known breeds. And a dog one classifier calls a bull breed X another would call a cattle dog X so even types can be suss - an unclipped poodle looks like a terrier to some. :(

From my own personal observation over the years I would say that the general trends are very different in the average city pound than they are in rural area pounds.

But one would hope that for those areas where most dogs are chipped as young puppies, there is at least a good chance that more of the descriptions will be accurate (well on the dam's side anyway LOL) if they are based on the chipped information.

I, too, would like to see the breeders info permanently on the chip.

I would love to be able talk further about this .......but just quickly from my own experience manning the phone for our rescue and dealing with the pounds and surrenders ......the staffy/bull breed crosses would be no 1 type dog found in the council pounds . Out of the 9 purebred dogs that we have available for adoption atm 5 are from registered breeders . Three were surrendered by their owners directly and two came in via the vets where they had been taken in for euthanasia.Three of the other four came from pounds so we don't know where they originated from.

That sounds like a high percentage....4 of 9, but is that because pedigree dogs are more likely to be claimed by rescue or offered to rescue groups by vets?

I check our local pound website most days and it's rare that I see purebred dogs on there, and if they are, they are generally gone by the next day. The majority are staffy x, JRT x, working breed mixes, pig dogs etc. The most common "purebred" would be the BYB staffy.

I would have thought that most people who buy pure breed dogs from a registered breeder would be people with a higher value for dogs and have bought something they really want and therefore responsible ownership and a for ever home has a higher priority than people who end up with an easily attainable dog perhaps sometimes for the wrong reasons,impulse buys etc.

That is the other thing that interests me. How many purebred dogs that show up in shelters are from registered breeders??? I know some are because I know someone who does rescue, but how many I wonder????

THIS is what gets me... there are a handful of pointers that show up in pounds and 90%or more would be from BYBers!

I keep an eye on the websites for the shelters here in CHCH, and very occasionally there are purebred dogs (in the past month I have seen an 8-10yr old lab and a few older Jack Russells), but generally there are bully breed mixes, lab mixes and border collie mixes. Looking at the private rehoming on websites like trademe though, there is a HUGE number of 6 month old-2 year old huskies. There are actually often more older huskies being rehomed than there are litters of huskies on there... it's crazy!

From my experience, staffys are the biggest inmates at our 2 main pounds, pure ( byb looking) and x's.

Second i would say is cattle x's.

Bullbreeds have a high ratio at blacktown due to the area i would say, low income area.

Greyhounds also feature highly, as we are in an area where there are alot of trainers :(

I would have thought that most people who buy pure breed dogs from a registered breeder would be people with a higher value for dogs and have bought something they really want and therefore responsible ownership and a for ever home has a higher priority than people who end up with an easily attainable dog perhaps sometimes for the wrong reasons,impulse buys etc.

You would think so, I wonder if we are talking about older dogs rather than young healthy ones??

Just curious to know, do these 5 come with papers to prove they are registered & if so, is any effort made to contact the breeder whose name is on the papers & also what breeds are they????? sorry for all the questions, but I can't get my head around people calling dogs "purebred" unless they can see the actual ANKC registration papers of the dogs :confused: I think it is mainly due to people calling dogs "purebred" that give the genuine purebreds a bad name. To me a dog is not "purebred" unless it is registered with the State body of the ANKC & if it is not registered then it should not be called "purebred" unless maybe it has been genetically tested, which I very much doubt.

Edited by sheena

Wow I would have thought the odd one but 9:-(

I worked in a pound for 10 years, vast majority of dogs that came in were mutts. In those 10 years there were only 3 or 4 papered dogs that came in and guess what? when the breeders of those dogs were notified they were there as soon as possible to pick up their dogs. Same as the greyhound that came in, traced her breeder by the tattoo's and he organised for the dog to be picked up.