Christmas Leftovers

Greytmate

I am starting this topic because I think a lot of people might want their dog to be celebrating Christmas with them. :)

Unfortunately, a lot of dogs end up very very sick and at the vets because they ate the wrong leftovers. Be careful of what you and your guests are feeding the dog. :)

It is so important not to give the dog all the fatty off-cuts of meat. Any more than a spoonful of fat can cause some problems, not to mention a tummy ache for the dog.

A little bit of ham is ok, but no more than a few grams.

Turkey is great. But cooked turkey bones can cause real problems as they can splinter into shards that might perforate a dog's insides.

Please add to this list of what is ok to feed the dog, what should be fed with caution, and what things you need to keep right away from the dog this Christmas.

No alcohol please. A drunk dog is NOT funny, and it's very dangerous to allow a dog access to the dregs.

But what if your dog is a ninja who will take advantage of someone looking away???

Cheeky bugger got into my jameson that way... I was sitting on the ground with is on the floor an dlooked away for 2 seconds.. (He only got a tiny tiny bit before I stopped him!)

Guest donatella

Onions are a big no-no too :)

And of course Chocolate.

I've already seen countless posts on my facebook of people having to high tail their pet to the vet after they got into their chocolate christmas supplies :(

Hide it well folks, the little buggers will sniff it out if within any form of scratching/jumping/searching reach.

I'm actually a bit mean in Christmas day, my dogs get their regular kibble, a raw chicken leg each and one treat. They don't get lunch leftovers, the chooks get them.

One year we gave them dried roo tails and they had the runs for a few days. So no drastic change to their diets, they don't cope as well as we do.

Nothing with artificial sweetners or macadamias - very small quantities can be deadly.

I'm kinda like Gayle - they just get their nasties-free regular food (and a pig's ear for Lucy who will be crated over lunch as it is hosted at my place this year and she hates kids' guts).

Be very aware of the dangers of cheap/imported treats, many are simply not safe and a sick/dead pet is not the way to spend Christmas. Don't buy imported treats and examine those pet stockings carefully the products they contain could well be dangerous.

Our pets do not need Christmas crap they will be just as happy with their regular food and treats.

...and if you can't trust your guests (not to feed them tid bits) it might be best to pop the dog/s somewhere safe and quiet in the house.

yes the inlaws never understand this, for some reason they have this magical logic of 'oh but its christmas' and somehow any side affects are avoided becauses 'its christmas' i prefer the company of my dog more so can i put the inlaws somewhere else? LOL

...and if you can't trust your guests (not to feed them tid bits) it might be best to pop the dog/s somewhere safe and quiet in the house.

yes the inlaws never understand this, for some reason they have this magical logic of 'oh but its christmas' and somehow any side affects are avoided becauses 'its christmas' i prefer the company of my dog more so can i put the inlaws somewhere else? LOL

Of course you can - better still, don't answer the door when they come knocking ;)

I just thought I would add- be careful of dogs helping themselves to these 'treats' I the lead up to Christmas. My mums pup managed to get some Christmas pud from the table which was being prepared for a friend.

With grapes and raisens it's best to get to the vet within an hr to induce vomiting. I did this with mums cheeky monkey and I decided to pop her on a drip for 12 hrs to ensure there was no kidney damage!! Jem thankfully didnt have any ill effects and is already home and bouncing.

Edited by Jumabaar

I don't even have a tree at my place... or I'd be picking up bits of it when I do the poo patrol... *grin*

My dogs get their normal food, and maybe a few doggy biscuit bones - that's it. They do get new doggy chew toys to play with from Santa though...

T.