Microchip Registries?

Ness1409

Hi folks,

I have recently moved to Australia from the UK. I have 2 labradors and they are both microchipped (and the chips are currently registered to our old UK registry).

I currently live in Qld but I tend to move around a lot so I wouldn't discount living in another state in the next year or two. I also go on hols with the dogs a lot so I can see us visiting NSW and Vic at the very least in the next year.

I have been researching registries in Australia and I understand there are 5 of them? Madness!!

We travel a lot and I was wondering if it might be worth my while to register the boys with all 5 registries. Has anyone else done this or am I insane for thinking of it, and really only need to register with one? Is there one which is better than the rest?

Cheers

Ness

Hi folks,

I have recently moved to Australia from the UK. I have 2 labradors and they are both microchipped (and the chips are currently registered to our old UK registry).

We travel a lot and I was wondering if it might be worth my while to register the boys with all 5 registries. Has anyone else done this or am I insane for thinking of it, and really only need to register with one? Is there one which is better than the rest?

Cheers

Ness

Hi Ness1409

Yep.

Its all very confusing.

What you have to do is register you dogs with your local council.

They will update the microchip details on the Qld registry.

If you move to NSW then you will have to register the dogs again with the council from the area you are living in and they will update the microchip details.

However, if you are travelling then the last recorded registry will need contact details.

:cheers:

Hi folks,

Cheers

Ness

Hi Ness1409

Yep.

Its all very confusing.

If you move to NSW then you will have to register the dogs again with the council from the area you are living in and they will update the microchip details.

However, if you are travelling then the last recorded registry will need contact details.

This is how it works in NSW, but here in QLD the council registration has nothing to do with the microchip, you actually have to do it separately

I wish there was just one national register, that would make life SOOOO much easier

I moved to Australia with two cats a few years ago, I just filled out a form with their number and sent it to one of the registries. You don't need to be in more than one, because if the animal is picked up they will check all of them anyway. Plus, some registries make you pay to register with them, and updating microchip details requires you to fill out a form and send to them, which is a pain. One of my dogs is with Petsafe, which lets you log in online and update the details whenever you want/need to.

Hi folks,

Cheers

Ness

Hi Ness1409

Yep.

Its all very confusing.

This is how it works in NSW, but here in QLD the council registration has nothing to do with the microchip, you actually have to do it separately

I wish there was just one national register, that would make life SOOOO much easier

In Vic council rego has nothing to do with the m/c either.

Best thing to do is register with one company, I would recommend either Central Animal Records or National Pet Register, anyone in Australia at a pound etc will be able to check all 5 registries.

Hi folks,

Cheers

Ness

Hi Ness1409

Yep.

Its all very confusing.

Best thing to do is register with one company, I would recommend either Central Animal Records or National Pet Register, anyone in Australia at a pound etc will be able to check all 5 registries.

Ehh Sorry if I muddied the waters over this.

Council Registration has nothing to do with the NSW Companion Animals Register that records microchip details either.

I should have said that you could have it done at the same time.

The council should have access to the registry. They do have Rangers afterall.

Px

Hi folks,

Cheers

Ness

Hi Ness1409

Yep.

Its all very confusing.

Wrong.

Totally different to nsw.

The chips need to registered with one of the databases Central Animal Records etc. The dogs also need to be registered with the local council.

Hi folks,

Cheers

Ness

Hi Ness1409

Yep.

Its all very confusing.

Ehh Sorry if I muddied the waters over this.

Council Registration has nothing to do with the NSW Companion Animals Register that records microchip details either.

I should have said that you could have it done at the same time.

The council should have access to the registry. They do have Rangers afterall.

Px

Actually it does have a lot to do with the NSW Companion Animals Register.

Way to confuse someone guys!

Ness - as you have realised, there are several registries. Basically, NSW has their own and most people with access to the NSW registry WILL NOT check all other registries.

The CAR registry (not to be confused with the NSW CAR) is a national database and to my knowledge, is accessed more often by all states than most other registries. I would definitely add my dog's details to this registry.

To my knowledge, and this may be incorrect, you cannot add your dogs details to the NSW CAR unless you reside in NSW. COntact the NSW Department of Local Government for advice on this to confirm.

While you are doing all this, send of a few pointed emails about the stupidity of not having a nationally recognised SINGLE database too!

That's correct Anne. If you live in NSW, your pet's details are added to the NSW Companion Animal Registry but you still must register with your local council too.

I wasn't even aware that the NSW CAR wasn't a national database and have just now e-mailed the people at the CAR registry (national) to see about getting my pets added.

NSW does seem to be a PITA to deal with as only approved members (e.g. council workers) can access the database whereas the national CAR, anyone can enter a microchip number.

Here is a copy of the response I recieved when from CAR last week when asking how to add a microchip to their database. Hope it helps :)

Further to your enquiry, below are details of how to have your pet listed on a National microchip database, providing a 24 hour recovery service for the life of the pet.

We have 2 packages for you to choose from, which are:

1) BASIC PACK @ $9.95 – Providing lifetime recovery service, Australia wide, and an Identification Acknowledgement posted or emailed (if provided).

2) STANDARD PACK @ $16.60 – Providing lifetime recovery service Australia wide, A4 sized Certificate of Identification posted to you, numbered external tag & authorised internet access to view & update your own pets microchip record.

The required procedure is to make arrangements with your local Veterinary Hospital to have your pet scanned so that they can confirm the chip number. They then must sign the attached form to acknowledge that they have in fact sighted & scanned the animal described on this document. If this is not done, then we are unable to process the form.

You then need to ensure that all details are filled in and signed as the owner, & the appropriate box ticked related to the package chosen before forwarding into us with the appropriate payment.

Once processed, confirmation will be sent out by way of Certificate or Acknowledgement, depending on the type of package chosen.

Should you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Customer Care,

Central Animal Records.

Edited by SecretKei

YOu think the Australian system is bad. Here in California, the county (read council) registration system generously cross registered the two dogs I brought with me from Oz. . . then the Registration company sent me a bill for $21 for each dog to continue the registration. Apparently they soak you for an annual fee to keep your dog on the database. Don't you love the free market.

Thanks SecretKei! I'll probably get my reply tomorrow and reading the prices I'm thinking that $16.60 doesn't sound too bad for a nice certificate of registration!

Sandgrubber that's ridiculous! $21 per dog per year?! :eek: I think I'm starting to like my local council's once-off lifetime rego payment.

Thanks SecretKei! I'll probably get my reply tomorrow and reading the prices I'm thinking that $16.60 doesn't sound too bad for a nice certificate of registration!

Sandgrubber that's ridiculous! $21 per dog per year?! :eek: I think I'm starting to like my local council's once-off lifetime rego payment.

No worries.

If you want the form send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you :) .

That's correct Anne. If you live in NSW, your pet's details are added to the NSW Companion Animal Registry but you still must register with your local council too.

You're not actually registering with the local Council though, it is just that the local Council administers the register. In NSW, registration and microchipping is a whole government process ie NSW legislation, not local Council.

Thanks so much for all the posts guys, I will organise registration with CAR (Central Animal Records) and leave it at that - I did think registering them with all the registers was a bit of overkill, but wasn't sure what other frequent travellers did :)

Cheers!!

Thanks so much for all the posts guys, I will organise registration with CAR (Central Animal Records) and leave it at that - I did think registering them with all the registers was a bit of overkill, but wasn't sure what other frequent travellers did :)

Cheers!!

Fully recommend CAR I work with them through rescue and they are very helpful. AAR is also good but not as assessable.