Jenna Ran Through A Glass Door

Leelaa17

Hi guys,

Jenna went to run outside but the glass sliding door was closed and she ran straight through it. and what I mean by that is she hit it with such force (because she thought the door was open) that she flung (yes flung) it off its railings and it landed a couple of feet away from the doorway.

she yelped just once and that was after the door landed (not when she actually hit it) and i went and cuddled her.

she seems to be fine, I massaged her head and she doesn't seem to be in any pain whatsoever, she is jumping around and acting completely normal... but me being me, I am extremely worried now.

Can this sort of thing cause internal bleeding or a concussion? are there any signs I should look out for within the next couple of hours (or even days)? Should I take her straight to the vet or should I wait?

As I said she is acting completely normal and doesn't seem to be in any pain but I am worried.

Also, I think she hit it with her head...

she is a 1yo female gsd just incase you need to know.

Any advice is appreciated. thank you.

Guest donatella

I'm a worrier about the smallest of things and would vet just in case, would rather a small vet bill to say she's okay now then a big one later on if she does have internal damage that requires a lot more treatment.

Yep, vet. She is probably ok, but the vet will check vital signs and pupils and all the things that will indicate if there is a confusion or damage. They will also let you know what to watch out for over night.

Better to be sure than tae the risk something bad is going on internally and find out too late.

If she hit it that hard then yes she may have some sort of head injury. Vet to be safe, but I think you may have to play a wait and watch time with her. Dont give her anything to eat just in case. Skulls are pretty tough but just be on the safe side

We had a Bulldog that went right through a sliding door glass. He was fine, just a very small cut on his head but if she has knocked the door out as such then monitor her as much as possible.

Thank you all so much for your feedback. I just called the emergency vet to ask whether or not they thought I should bring her down and they said it was up to me but if she was running around and seemed happy then she should be ok.

The told me I need to watch out for vomiting, or any kind of indication that she isn't responding to me as she normally would. I think I am going to wait and watch as although I would give up everything I own just to make sure she was ok, I don't want to spend 231$ as a consultation fee for them to tell me everything is fine.

I will watch her like a hawk tonight and the first sign of anything out of the ordinary I will be on my way to the vet straight away. I am quite lucky as the emergency vet is about a 5-10min drive from my house.

Thank you all again for your advice and I hope that even if you don't agree with my decision to just watch her for the meant time, I hope you will respect my decision.

Thank you all again. :)

Thank you all so much for your feedback. I just called the emergency vet to ask whether or not they thought I should bring her down and they said it was up to me but if she was running around and seemed happy then she should be ok.

The told me I need to watch out for vomiting, or any kind of indication that she isn't responding to me as she normally would. I think I am going to wait and watch as although I would give up everything I own just to make sure she was ok, I don't want to spend 231$ as a consultation fee for them to tell me everything is fine.

I will watch her like a hawk tonight and the first sign of anything out of the ordinary I will be on my way to the vet straight away. I am quite lucky as the emergency vet is about a 5-10min drive from my house.

Thank you all again for your advice and I hope that even if you don't agree with my decision to just watch her for the meant time, I hope you will respect my decision.

I think you are on the right track and they have given you some good advice.

Hope she will be fine :)

I think you are on the right track and they have given you some good advice.

Hope she will be fine :)

Thank you so much for your well wishes. the tiniest thing makes me freak out. if max eats to fast I worry he's goig to get bloat... lol so im not really surprised im freaking out about this.

thanks again. :)

I think you are on the right track and they have given you some good advice. <br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">Hope she will be fine :)

x1

A fright for everyone!

I think you are on the right track and they have given you some good advice. <br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">Hope she will be fine :)

x1

A fright for everyone!

you can say that again. my dad just spent the last half hour trying to fix the door!! haha.

I know this is premature but jenna still seems to be doing ok. she is hesitant about going near the door though... she started running towards it and then skidded to a stop because she was scared it was closed. bless. poor little thing.

I've had pups literally knock themselves silly on furniture when playing like loons - and I mean staggering and dazed here!

All you can really do is watch and wait... and you are probably going to notice something abnormal a lot faster than a vet who doesn't know your dog very well.

T.

Glass sliding doors can be very dangerous for animals and humans, if they are closed and they dont know it. While we have some decoration thing on our glass door(for humans to see) many times our dogs have thought they were open but werent so they have had a bit of a knock. And we have only had one broken by a thick skull :( Just as well he had already hit the bus.

One of my boys did exactly the same thing...and although I dont mean to worry you, even if neurologically all is okay, can I suggest at some stage you get her checked out by a good chiro.

My boy appeared fine after the event, but had actually done some damage through compressing the vertebrae in his neck down into his spine from the force of the impact. He showed nothing at the time (being the tough nuts that Shepherds are) and it wasnt until a few of weeks later the injury started to show itself....

But hopefully all is good for your girl......we ended up putting big white taped crosses across the bottom of our sliding door...the things we do for our dogs.

Once Fox had a head to head collision with a bigger dog when they were both going for her ball, and she had one pupil bigger than the other for the rest of the night :( We watched her like hawks too and she was fine in the morning. Like T said, you're probably in s better position to pick up any unusual behaviour than a stranger :)