Exercising Reactive Dogs Thread

Still pissed off about this so will whinge in here.

At dog school, person asks if her dog can say hello to mine. I say 'not a good idea'. Good that she asked. BUT she then bends down to her dog and speaks to it and says ' you can't see their yellow bandanas but they are on the inside'. WTF. (We use yellow bandanas for dogs that are aggressive or need space). Why do people get so offended when you don't want to your dog to say hi?

oh and she is an instructor.....

Don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer. That's also very aggressive of her in a way. I'd be pretty miffed.

It was quite weird. Lots of reasons why you might not want your dog to say hi.

She is the instructor JulesP. Gosh. That is strange reaction coming from an instructor IMO. I'm surprised. And your right. There is loads of reasons why you may want them to meet or not. That is your call. Your dog. Geez may be interesting classes with this instructor.

I'm very fussy who approaches my dog's. My dogs my rules. 99% of the time I say no nicely . I usually get a funny look or a huffy mumble back at me though. Doesn't bother me. I don't see the need. They don't have to engage with every dog we see.

Edited by BC Crazy

Thank goodness :laugh: Both my guys are the same. Not really interested in other dogs. Sonny is rather snobbish actually. Looks down his nose at most. And Stella is rarely interested & I'm glad cause it usually is for all the wrong reasons... :o

I ordered this for Koda ages ago, It finally arrived yesterday :) Keen to test it out on our usual walks!

11128786_981074325245342_1051926282_n_zpseviuak2b.jpg

I got it from here if anyone is interested in getting one too :)

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/167352345/jacket-vest-for-dogs-working-on-issues

Be interested to see if it works! I went out with a friend in something similar and more people came up! Think hers had give me space - in training on it. It was hilarious. Everyone wanted to know why he was wearing it.

Be interested to see if it works! I went out with a friend in something similar and more people came up! Think hers had give me space - in training on it. It was hilarious. Everyone wanted to know why he was wearing it.

Interesting! Koda also wears a muzzle while we walk (Only really because there are loads of off leash dogs around here and if one runs up to us I do not want him getting in trouble because he bit a dog! He's never actually bitten a dog, but there is a first for everything!).

So with the muzzle plus a sign on his back saying to give him space, I think we'll be pretty set! We've also made a habit of carrying a large stick while walking, to fend off, off leash dogs. We've had serious problems with uncontrolled dogs rushing at Koda in the past... which just pushes him WAY over his threshold!!

Edited by maddogdodge

I ordered this for Koda ages ago, It finally arrived yesterday :) Keen to test it out on our usual walks!

11128786_981074325245342_1051926282_n_zpseviuak2b.jpg

I got it from here if anyone is interested in getting one too :)

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/167352345/jacket-vest-for-dogs-working-on-issues

OMG, if people still approach when he's wearing that then you should bite them yourself!

Hahaha SG, it sure is a great little jacket and very obvious. Good luck MDD, hope It does the trick.

Very nice, I have the no dogs leash but the writings small. If you can read it you have super powers or you're way to close. People should be able to read that easily. Yay more dog gear for me.

Yes that is the downside I see with the "Friendly Dog Collars" products. Koda would be way over threshold by the time someone could read one of those leads, and the vests and harness's that they sell are useless for long haired dogs! Koda's fur would just cover all the writing!

OMG, if people still approach when he's wearing that then you should bite them yourself!

LOL :rofl: Sometimes I wish I could, I've met so many stupid people when out with Koda!

Hahaha SG, it sure is a great little jacket and very obvious. Good luck MDD, hope It does the trick.

Thanks, I hope so too :) I'm sure it will help at least a bit!

ETA: I was just thinking.... I wonder if things that say "In training" seem to tempt people to come up and ask what they're being trained for rather than stay away? Compared to Koda's jacket, will be interesting if I get many people come up to ask why he needs space.

Edited by maddogdodge

Dee will be 7 years old in July. So I have lived with and trained her for nearly 7 years. :thumbsup:

Do you think that I have worked out what makes her tick? Do I understand her thought processes? Nope! NFI at all!! :confused:

She has been coming to water rescue with Zeph and I with the Newfie Club at Lilydale. She loves to swim and I cannot just leave her at home, because, as you Ladies have so beautifully put it, she is "special needs" and it would be easier to leave her home. However, she is crated up against a tree area out of the way, when I am not with her, and always on lead when swimming, to ensure the safety of the bird life, off lead dogs and small children. She will chase all of these due to very high prey drive.

She is reactive to other dogs, especially other females. However, she does not react to the female Newfies that we train with. She will turn her head away and avoid them when in close proximity. I have not worked out if it is because they are much bigger than she is, or if it is because the dogs are not assertive or dominant in any way.

Her prey drive has increased, so we need to practice more focus and work with more dog distractions. So just like Jake and HD, at training we will be standing there, long after the other dogs and handlers have finished their work, with me waiting for some focus before we can "end of exercise".

She continues to do my head in.

BCC, I so wish I had a snob dog. Zeph wants to say hello to every dog, and then lean against their owners for continuous pats. He is lots of hard work to get focus from at a trail, especially if there are interesting female dogs around. Thankfully fetching and swimming are more interesting than greeting other dogs, most of the time.

I so miss my normal, loves to work and swim Miss Baylee.

Normal dogs are vastly underrated. By the way Baylee is the name of my next dog????. Maybe it will be a rotti.

That is very true HD. Abnormal dogs take up so much of our time and steal so much of our heart, that is what makes them special :heart:

After Hank and Jake you would be a perfect Rottie owner. :thumbsup:

Yes they are definitely heart stealers the speshul ones... :love:

When I first got Stella I was feeling very guilty because she is the first puppy I have had that I didn't bond with straight away. I'm not even sure I actually liked her. She was a very different girl. And very difficult. She was nervy, sad & cranky. I'd only ever had happy, calm puppies. She didn't want a bar of me. She tried to bite me when I feed her. She'd growl & show her baby teeth with a lip curl on occasion. when I was cleaning the backyard, she wait till I wasn't looking then come running flat out at me & jump on me trying to bite my face. She was a real little shocker. After a while I began to get to know her. It wasn't easy & neither was she. She had her guard up for quite a while. But I wasn't giving up. I have given her more emotionally than I knew I had. I spend more time with her than I ever dreamed I would too. Must admit it is paying off now. She'll be 5 this year. I've just got her in a good place mentally now where I can start to do a bit more with her training wise. She is a very intense girl. As quirky as they come too. Fiercely loyal & extremely smart/fast. I love her to bits. Never thought I'd say that though. Such a sweet girl :heart:

As for my "normal" boy. Sonny is Mr. Easy. He is just so simple to handle. He is very predicable, never caused me a minutes trouble. He is natures gentleman. And he thinks I'm the best thing since sliced bread :laugh: I adore him. He is so funny when Stella's plays up at times he will run over to her, give her a little nip on the back & a growl. Then looks up at me like Stella being norty again mum but I told her off for you :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Well overdue for an update, oops!

Bonnie (or 'the hound') is doing exceptionally well. Positive reinforcement is working an absolute treat for her and her reactions have gone from I AM A BIG SCARY SCAREDY CAT DOG AND I WILL RIP YOUR FACE OFF GO AWAY PLEASE to I am a BIG SCARY maybe scary? dog? I'm only BARKING AT you because its INGRAINED oh hey treats!!!

There is a particularly zen husky near us that just sits on the deck, doesnt make a sound and just chills there. With the permission of the owner we've been using it as a 'helper' and doing BAT nearby, of course there's a fence between us but she is improving in leaps and bounds. She didn't try and eat the old bloke making noise with the shovel yesterday, instead she offered sits and downs of her own accord and responded to requests for behaviours. She was even CURIOUS about the zen husky, and even let its owner pat her briefly!!

Yesterday while outside we had an encounter with an entire male offleash staffy, I'm still bloody seething over the whole thing as she'd been doing marvellously for the fifteen minutes prior. Our little culdesac is at the end of another street, you turn into it right before you hit the public land. There's a visitors carpark where you turn in and its a perfect place for some trigger work as there's a howling rotti, cats, kids on scooters and a small white yappy thing of some description. So we're doing great work, sits, downs, stays, spins, fronts (which she's only just learning), recall, high fives, army crawls, she's smashing it. All on a long line, off the street in a private driveway.

Suddenly out of frigging nowhere comes this black ball of unleashed undesexed revved up muscle, charging our way, of course Bonnie goes into absolute melt down mode and I'm yelling PLEASE COME AND GRAB YOUR DOG while trying to get the hell out of there with a 20kg bloodthirsty freight train attached to me. It's useless, I'm being pulled in circles, getting leash burn and this woman finally manages to grab her dog, makes a half arsed apology, she has a pram with her and says to her kid as she leaves "no, that dog wasnt very friendly".

No, she's not friendly, but I tell you what, she certainly isnt rude or allowed to go charging up to people and their dogs without invitation! If Bonnie was off leash (which we dont allow unless in a secluded area with no distractions) that dog would have been a lot worse off. Unbelievable. I've seen this woman before and she never has her dog on a leash, after yesterday I'm considering reporting her.

Anyway, I'm proud of my girl and the progress she's making. We walk her quite often in the national park near us and she revels in it, we're also training her to do long distance recalls with a whistle. Here's my little grot looking mighty pleased with herself after finding a muddy puddle to splash in. She wasn't so pleased with herself when she got put straight in the shower when we got home :laugh:

L6a7f4x.jpg

I live down the road from a school and many mothers are pushing a pram with an off leash dog because apparently you can't manage a leashed dog and a pram together. Unbelievably this puts their unleashed dogs amongst primary school children around a school that borders the pacific highway. I only walk at about ten for this reason and go out after 4.30 in the afternoon, keeps the crazies away.

Great that she's doing so well, set backs are just bumps in their road. Unfortunately they happen, you have some chocolate and a few bad days and then more chocolate and you're back on track????.

Edited by hankdog