Pedigree Papers

Cavamum

The reason I am asking is because I wasn't given them by my breeder. He said they are on the "limited register' but all I got was the vaccination certificate and a carbon copy of the transfer of ownership. I would like to get membership with NSW ckcs club and get Bella into Agility and Flyball. Do I need these papers to do this?

How long ago did you get your dog?

Sometimes the paperwork side of things takes a while. They may not have decided which pup went on which register until they were 8 weeks, so there are a number of reasons you could have to wait.

Esky's papers accidentally got sent home with her sister's owner, so we had to wait until the breeder got them back from her and then sent them on.

I believe you do, unless you register as an associate (which any dog can do).

I'd want them because:

i) it proves that the dog is actually pedigree (if I paid for a pedigree, I'd want proof)

ii) It documents your dog's heritage. This can be useful if any health issues pop up.

Yes you will need her in your name, and you will need to become a DogsNSW member, but you don't need to do this until you are ready to compete.

You can train in agility and flyball without being a member of DogsNSW.

Not sure about the CKCS club part though sorry.

The reason I am asking is because I wasn't given them by my breeder. He said they are on the "limited register' but all I got was the vaccination certificate and a carbon copy of the transfer of ownership. I would like to get membership with NSW ckcs club and get Bella into Agility and Flyball. Do I need these papers to do this?

In NSW the breeder MUST supply you with the papers. They do not have an option to hold on to them. If they will not give you the papers then report them to Dogs NSW.

To compete in any dog sport you need to join Dogs NSW and have the papers for your puppy in your name.

Hi Bellacks :)

I got my cav a month ago & still haven't received her papers. The breeder did tell me that they may take a while to come through as DogsNSW (I think it is) close down over the xmas/new year period & they are a fairly slow with the paperwork.

If I don't have them by the beginning of Feb I'll chase it up with the breeder but I'm not bothered about it yet. I know sometimes these things take time

How long ago did you get your pup? My Lucy is a blenheim too :)

ETA - Actually is was 5 weeks on Thursday that I got her! Time flies!!

Edited by Cavstar

Hi Bellacks :)

I got my cav a month ago & still haven't received her papers. The breeder did tell me that they may take a while to come through as DogsNSW (I think it is) close down over the xmas/new year period & they are a fairly slow with the paperwork.

If I don't have them by the beginning of Feb I'll chase it up with the breeder but I'm not bothered about it yet. I know sometimes these things take time

How long ago did you get your pup? My Lucy is a blenheim too :)

ETA - Actually is was 5 weeks on Thursday that I got her! Time flies!!

I know! We need to swap stories! Thanks for letting me know about the Christmas break etc.

To compete in any dog sport you need to join Dogs NSW and have the papers for your puppy in your name.

Not entirely correct. You do certainly need papers to do ANKC agility trials. Either get hold of the limited register ones or else forget them and just register the dog on the associate register. You can do agility through other bodies though, like ADAA and ADAC. Just join those associations, don't need the dog's papers for that.

To do Flyball you do not need to have anything from Dogs NSW at all. You need to join the Australian Flyball Association and join a club. There are joint arrangements for Flyball in place with the canine councils (I was on committee when it was arranged) so that a group of people who are ANKC registered (as opposed to AFA members) can form a team and enter any AFA flyball comp and vice versa. To date, no ANKC registered team has entered any AFA event to my knowledge and I do not believe that there have ever been any ANKC flyball comps arranged either.

For Flyball, when you apply to join the AFA, you get a CRN (competition racing number) and the dog gets a number too. It would be your number and then A for the first dog, B for the 2nd and so on. You can list their name as whatever you like, call name or their pedigreed name, doesn't matter. You can get titles issued by both the AFA and the ANKC but you do then need to have been a member of Dogs NSW (or whatever state) when you achieved the title.

Whatever you decide, you only need papers or AFA membership for when you decide to compete.

Good luck

Jo

As others have mentioned, Dogs NSW was closed for about 3 weeks over Xmas/NY. The only thing that would concern me is that if it was me, I would have spoken you through the situation, i.e. explained that I had submitted the registrations to Dogs NSW, was waiting on the paperwork to return, assured you I would mail the papers to you when I received them, and when you got them they would be signed over to you, what you would need to do to lodge the change of ownership etc.

No need to panic at this stage, but I think I would be checking with the breeder. Not in an agressive way, maybe just send them an email update on the puppy with some pictures and at the end just ask "I was wondering if you have received the registration papers back from Dogs NSW yet?"

I don't know how many 'the papers haven't arrived yet' posts there have been on DOL.

Bloody Neanderthal K9 associations. Why the hell don't they put pup registration on line!!!!! It would take so much less time. It would avoid so many errors. It would make things more transparent. And it would reduce their costs.

Aren't entrenched bureaucracies wonderful :D:):mad

Edited by sandgrubber

As others have mentioned, Dogs NSW was closed for about 3 weeks over Xmas/NY. The only thing that would concern me is that if it was me, I would have spoken you through the situation, i.e. explained that I had submitted the registrations to Dogs NSW, was waiting on the paperwork to return, assured you I would mail the papers to you when I received them, and when you got them they would be signed over to you, what you would need to do to lodge the change of ownership etc.

No need to panic at this stage, but I think I would be checking with the breeder. Not in an agressive way, maybe just send them an email update on the puppy with some pictures and at the end just ask "I was wondering if you have received the registration papers back from Dogs NSW yet?"

Ha ha, I already did that. I might give him a buzz and just ask when I could expect to get the papers. With him it feels like "Transaction completed - goodbye".

Bloody Neanderthal K9 associations. Why the hell don't they put pup registration on line!!!!! It would take so much less time. It would avoid so many errors. It would make things more transparent. And it would reduce their costs.

You can register a litter online for Dogs NSW so long as it meets certain criteria that would cover the majority of litters born.

If the pup has already been registered on the Limited Register (which appears to be the case here according to what the breeder said), can you register them on the Associate Register as well? I wouldn't have thought so.....

Wouldn't it be better to wait for a little while for all the Christmas nonsense to settle down, then chase up?

You are entitled to those papers. Its like have the pink slip (ownership) papers for your car, or a birth certificate. He should supply them to you as it is required by DogsNSW. If you don't get them within the next 4 weeks or so, you will need to contact DogsNSW and report that he hasn't forwarded them to you. Breeders can get into a lot of trouble for withholding papers.

To save me starting my own thread, I'm hoping someone can answer this here, please.

If a dog is registered with the Canine Council, and the dog is in co-ownership but one of the registered owners is not a financial member of the canine council, can the financial member compete with that dog if the other owner is not financial? Or do both co-owners need to be financial?

Edit to say: I am talking ANKC sports here, not any other organisation or showing. Ta!

Edited by RubyStar