Wow! Haven't Prices Change In 10 Years!

Roova

I enjoy looking at different breeds and contemplating what breed might make a good second dog one day. I've been looking at English Toy Terriers and tonight stumbled across a Burke's Backyard factsheet written in 2002. It said the average price was $350 - $450.

The only breeder I've contacted so far sells her puppies desexed for $1600. Based on $400 as an average price 10 years ago they've almost doubled in price every two years since. Yikes... I wonder how much they'll cost in another 10 years?

It would be interesting to find out what other breeds have had a big increase in price over the past 10 years.

Do the larger price increases tend to be breeds where there are more health tests required now? Are there any breeds where the price has stayed pretty much the same?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I enjoy looking at different breeds and contemplating what breed might make a good second dog one day.

I've been looking at English Toy Terriers and tonight stumbled across a Burke's Backyard factsheet written in 2002.

It said the average price was $350 - $450.

The only breeder I've contacted so far sells her puppies desexed for $1600.

Based on $400 as an average price 10 years ago they've almost doubled in price every two years since.

Yikes... I wonder how much they'll cost in another 10 years?

It would be interesting to find out what other breeds have had a big increase in price over the past 10 years.

Do the larger price increases tend to be breeds where there are more health tests required now?

Are there any breeds where the price has stayed pretty much the same?

Burke's Backyard :rofl: :rofl: :laugh: :laugh:

You must be new here.

I would check with real breeders and not some numpty who used prime time television to sell plants through nurseries on weekends.

Mr Burke had many facts about dogs misconstrued including promoting designer breeds.

FYI A Maremma in 2004 was $800 and today I ask $1000 for our puppies.

Thats hardly a 400% increase.

However, greater pre and post-mating testing does add costs to the final asking price.

More research needed.

Px

The only breeder I've contacted so far sells her puppies desexed for $1600. Based on $400 as an average price 10 years ago they've almost doubled in price every two years since. Yikes... I wonder how much they'll cost in another 10 years?

:confused: If they had doubled in price every two years, that would make them $12800.

Double the price every 5 years and you get $1600 :)

I remember when crossbred puppies were mostly free to good homes and now some can be $1000+ which is probably the most massive rise of all!

If they had doubled in price every two years, that would make them $12800.

Double the price every 5 years and you get $1600

Edited to say how embarrasing...maths is not a strong point obviously! :o

Edited by Roova

Oh squee, I love ETTs :D

I enjoy looking at different breeds and contemplating what breed might make a good second dog one day. I've been looking at English Toy Terriers and tonight stumbled across a Burke's Backyard factsheet written in 2002. It said the average price was $350 - $450.

Yes the BB fact sheet for Tenties has them at $200 - well they are at least triple that now. (It also puts them in the top ten family breeds - 5th place - with designer mongrels in 2nd :eek: )

I'm surprised ETTs are that expensive TBH, Manchester Terriers are much cheaper, on mains, and ETTs are essentially a Mini-Mannie, wouldn't expect the health testing to be much different? Well breeders can charge what they wish anyway.

My breed is Miniature Long Haired Dachshund

In 1991 Cooper was $250 (I lost him 2005 :( ) , 1997 Mini was $450 and 2002 Rover was $650, all from Registered Breeders.

I am thinking the time is right for another puppy soon, so I will see what the going rate is in 2012

My breed is Miniature Long Haired Dachshund

In 1991 Cooper was $250 (I lost him 2005 :( ) , 1997 Mini was $450 and 2002 Rover was $650, all from Registered Breeders.

I am thinking the time is right for another puppy soon, so I will see what the going rate is in 2012

Around $1200 I would think.

I think it makes sense that purchase prices would go up, as have the costs of vet care, food, housing, electricity and everything else!

I agree that puppy prices are no doubt not based on CPI but I think it's a good thing if they are not seen as a "cheap" item in any economy, there are things to buy on the cheap, an animal shouldn't be one of them IMO.

Our lab puppies were $500 in the 90's. I bought my GR in 2007 and he was $1200 as a show quality pup on the MR.

Mum and I just had a conversation the other day about price increases, she paid $1000 dollars for a 2 acre block in the Adelaide Hills just before I was born and was filling up her Morris Minor for $2. (7cents a gallon I think...) It is all relative.

my breeds in the UK

Giant schnauzer 13 years ago were £500 now they are £950

minis 10 years ago were about £450 now they are about £750+

neither have doubled in price in the last decade here, but I do know they cost more in other coutries