Worm Farm

Kaffy Magee

There is a lady selling a worm farm (minus worms) on my local Facebook buy and sell and Ive been thinking about having a worm farm for the dog poo for some time. What I'd like to know is 4 bullmastiffs poos too much for one worm farm to handle? Does the worm farm smell if its being used for dog poo and what do I do with the "castings" and how often? And do they smell? Currently I put it in a bag and in the bin, but looking for a less stinky way of doing it. I dont want to stink my neighbours out though if the worm arm is going to stink. Can anyone help? Thanks :)

There is a lady selling a worm farm (minus worms) on my local Facebook buy and sell and Ive been thinking about having a worm farm for the dog poo for some time. What I'd like to know is 4 bullmastiffs poos too much for one worm farm to handle? Does the worm farm smell if its being used for dog poo and what do I do with the "castings" and how often? And do they smell? Currently I put it in a bag and in the bin, but looking for a less stinky way of doing it. I dont want to stink my neighbours out though if the worm arm is going to stink. Can anyone help? Thanks :)

I found it didn't smell to much, the only rule is not to put the compost on any food trees.

Kaffy I would not have it on the back veranda LOL.

With a dog pop farm you van only do dog no other scraps.

Once it's casing I do not think it matters where you put it, also you need a particular type of worm.

I investigated some years ago so some thinking may have cjhangef.

Edited by Bilbo Baggins

We have two can-o-worm farms for canine waste and have been using them for 4 years now.

When we initially set them up, we put 4000 worms in each because we have four large dogs. We use the worms you buy for the regular worm farm. If you find that the worms can't keep up with the waste, it's easy enough to start up another canine waste farm.

It takes the worms about a week to get used to their new diet. As others have said, don't feed a canine farm anything other than canine waste.

We worm our dogs every three months and have never withheld their waste from the farm during this time and haven't noticed any drop off in numbers either.

We use the castings and tea in the garden but not on edible plants. I've read on a number of composting sites that castings and tea from canine farms is fine to use on the vege garden but I just can't bring myself to do it.

To answer your questions, a working farm shouldn't smell and neither will the castings or tea. The castings smell sweet just like from a regular worm farm. From our experience, one farm (even with 4000 worms in it eating super premium kibble waste) will struggle to cope with contributions from four large dogs. That's why we have two farms. There's plenty of information online on when and how to harvest the castings depending on which system you're looking at.

Edited by Dxenion

I found it didn't smell to much, the only rule is not to put the compost on any food trees.

why is that. what could happen?

why is that. what could happen?

Presumably because of the risk of parasites such as tapeworms although I thought this only applied to root vegetables :shrug: By the time it's been digested by a regular worm, you'd think it'd be safe to use. For regular composting, depending on what else is going into the bin, temperatures can get up to 70o, not sure if parasites could survive this but if you were planning on using the compost for vegetables, probably worth checking.

I compost poo using one of the vented compost bins and worms (between each layer of poo, there's a layer of lawn clippings) and I haven't noticed any smell from it besides the smell of decomposing grass. We have one bin for five dogs but our dogs are raw fed so there's not actually that much waste and it tends to break down very quickly anyway.

Once we have enough, I plan to use the new soil to fill in some of the excavations in the backyard so parasites aren't a concern (and my dogs are wormed regularly- which doesn't seemed to have bothered the earthworms at all, by the way).

Thank you so much for the info everyone! Dxenion, thank you so much, your post really helped :thumbsup: I think I'll get it and buy another one aswell.

Its solely for dog poo, so no worries about fussy worms, its poo or nothing,lol! I also wont be using the castings on anything of importance, probably just chuck it in the back corner where there are a few trees. To be honest I dont worm my dogs very often but will keep that in mind when I do. What about other medication? Heartworm, comfortis etc? I feed raw for two dogs and a combo of raw and dry for the other two. Cant wait to get some lil' wormies!

Thanks agian! :D

I have just set up a worm farm and have noticed at times it does smell. I'm not sure exactly how many worms are in there, they are too wriggly for me to count. I have 3 labs all of various sizes. Anybody have any suggestions?

We had one at my old work. over 100 dogs poo a day and it copped fine, i never noticed it smelling ever.

Keep talking about getting one set up here.. can you put cat and dog poo in there? or not?

Anything organic within reason.

However, no Bones, Meat, Dairy products, Oils, Salty foods, Grass Clippings, Inorganic products.

It's also the one place for coffee grinds and tea leaves.