Pet Insurance And Vaccinations

moosepup

But why do they need to know if they don't cover vaccinatable diseases anyway? The policies don't state vaccination as a requirement either.

I claimed for Moose recently (Ratsak poisoning) and his las vacc was in Mar 2010 (12 mth booster) and there were no issues, I'm just curious. :)

Edited by moosepup

But why do they need to know if they don't cover vaccinatable diseases anyway? The policies don't state vaccination as a requirement either.

I claimed for Moose recently (Ratsak poisoning) and his las vacc was in Mar 2010 (12 mth booster) and there were no issues, I'm just curious. :)

With Petplan it states that dogs need to be vaccinated, titre testing is accepted by them

they mean if your dog comes down with parvo and you hadn't vaccinated for it they won't cover the bills. Therefore if you dog is up to date , in their eyes, with vaccinations and was to come down with parvo they would cover the costs. At least that's how i read it.

Edited by Rebanne

I thought that too but the policy clearly states that those diseases aren't covered, it doesn't say 'unless vaccinated'.

This is it:

3.2 We will not pay any Vet Expenses attributable to or resulting from:

1. a Pre-existing Condition or a Condition arising within the Waiting Period;

2. anIllnesscausedbyendoparasites(suchasworms)or ectoparasites (such as ticks, fleas, skin mites) unless covered under the paralysis tick benefit which is defined under section 4.3;

3. Treatment of the following:

a. for dogs:icnfectious canine hepatitis, parainfluenza, parvovirus, canine distemper , canine adenovirus and all forms of kennel cough,

b. for cats: viral rhinotracheitis, calicivirus, panleukopaenia, herpes virus, chlamydia, leukemia FIV and FIP, or

c. any other disease that there is a known vaccine;

4. any pandemic disease that causes widespread Illness affecting dogs or cats;

Edited by moosepup

I thought that too but the policy clearly states that those diseases aren't covered, it doesn't say 'unless vaccinated'.

Thats right they won't cover you for any preventable diseases even if you have vaccinated. I had an argument with them when they knocked back a claim for KC treatment. I said to them I had taken all prevention measures yet we still got the disease - didn't matter to them as it is "preventable".

This is one of the many reasons I chucked pet insurance away long ago.

This is a bit off topic, but Consumer Reports studies conclude that pet insurance is rarely worth the cost . . . the better way to insure your dog is to put the money you would have put toward insurance into an emergency fund.

See, eg., http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/money/insurance/pet-insurance/is-pet-insurance-worth-the-cost/overview/index.htm

• 11 months later...

With Petplan it states that dogs need to be vaccinated, titre testing is accepted by them

Bumping an old thread because I just called PetPlan to enquire about titre testing, and I had to be asked to put through to someone who knew what they were talking about because the first person had no clue what the words meant. Finally someone did, and they said no, titre testing is not considered to be a vaccination so if your dog has a vaccinatiable disease and is titre tested but not vaccinated, PetPlan do not cover you.