Lab Pup Prices

Roguedog

I know this has been discussed recently but I just wanted to check if $3500 for limited reg 8mth old male choc labs is a wee bit over priced? had a friend ask me about an ad on gumtree (they are looking for a choc lab for the family), my response? holy cow!!!! especially as neither parent is titled in any way.... ive told my friend that if it were me, I would look elsewhere as I suspect it is a 'colour' thing, which is sad for a reg breeder, $1500 is more like the price I would pay for a limited reg lab....

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know this has been discussed recently but I just wanted to check if $3500 for limited reg 8mth old male choc labs is a wee bit over priced? had a friend ask me about an ad on gumtree (they are looking for a choc lab for the family), my response? holy cow!!!! especially as neither parent is titled in any way.... ive told my friend that if it were me, I would look elsewhere as I suspect it is a 'colour' thing, which is sad for a reg breeder, $1500 is more like the price I would pay for a limited reg lab....

Does sound steep :confused: 8 months not weeks?? Chocolate isn't 'rare' persae, is it?

Does sound steep :confused: 8 months not weeks?? Chocolate isn't 'rare' persae, is it?

Age shouldn't matter, $3500 for a Lab is ridiculous! $1000-$1200 I would think

Chocolate is about as rare as blue staffords, they're not popular in the show ring, so they don't tend to get bred for that reason, but then they became the craze

Chocolate is about as rare as blue staffords, they're not popular in the show ring, so they don't tend to get bred for that reason, but then they became the craze

I wouldn't sell an 8 months old Cavalier for the same price as an 8 week old puppy.

Chocolate labs still seem to be popular as pets, I see heaps.

I wouldn't sell an 8 months old Cavalier for the same price as an 8 week old puppy.

How many blue staffords do you see? ;)

Would you triple the price on an 8 month old pup?

yeah I wondered about the age thing too so went and looked at their website, definantly 8 months, plus they have an adult black lab for sale for $3000 and a litter of choc pups for $1500 each?? doesnt make sense!!! and I worry about the amount of dogs they have for sale too! these labs do not look like they would go very well in the show ring, way to heavy boned and they have some faults I could see too... the father of the dogs for sale is an american import? still, even with that I wouldnt have thought $3500 would be a fair price... no mention on the site about health testing either...

Actually I don't think I've seen many at all. Brindle/white seems to be the colour of choice around here (although they and JRT seems to be the breed of choice in the smaller breed range!

No, I'd reduce it! They have missed out on all the fun. ;)

Actually I don't think I've seen many at all. Brindle/white seems to be the colour of choice around here (although they and JRT seems to be the breed of choice in the smaller breed range!

No, I'd reduce it! They have missed out on all the fun. ;)

my thoughts exactly! at 8months they are right into their nutty teenage stage so a reduction would be only fair... I see so many blue staffords its crazy (but then I work at a vet clinic so i guess i would see more than the average person ;) ) lol most of them are in for skin issues too!! :laugh:

Sounds very steep. I paid $1200 two years ago for an 8 week old black boy. If I were currently in the market, I probably wouldn't pay more than $1500, let alone $3500. There are plenty of good labrador pups out there.

exactly! will send her to the dol pages asap... just glad they decided to go for a registered pup instead of a BYB pup with no health testing!! :thumbsup:

Hi there

we have a almost 14 week old choc lab, we paid $1200 for him, so to me it looks like a scam trying to cash in. Not sure if the kennel I got ours from still has any from another litter as yet but we got him from a breeder adv on here. I know our pup's parents are both shown sometimes..............he is a really big boned boy even the vet knew which kennel he came from.

In this pic he is about 9 wks

I just had a quick look at the ' Lab puppy section' in the puppy listing, plenty of chocolate ones on there, steer your friend towards the site Im sure there are some suitable one there.

post-43328-0-50188300-1327221060_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pattycake

i paid $1400 for Wulbur a registered choc lab: he was born last June. $1400 was the average price at that time. There were a few around $1200 and a few a little more expensive, but none over $1600. Chocolate isn't rare; it's just another colour. Puppies on the main register shouldn't be any more expensive than those on the limited register. Look for another breeder; looks like a scam.

Oh dear. I located this "breeder" website with the information provided in this thread and WOW. Check out the puppy page with their agreement to purchase a puppy. Run Forrest, ruuuuuuuuuun, far away from this BYB :eek:

I wonder if people actually hand over that much money for one of their pups, that is outrageous.

Their website and dogs are so bad that it's like viewing a train wreck, I just can't look away!! :eek:

All they can talk about is the "lovely strong dark chocolate liver colour'.

This site is appalling and the dogs they are using make me throw up a little in my mouth.

Edited by RubyStar