Lab Pup Prices

Roguedog

I have chocolate labs and I can tell you the sun bleaching is a pain. One of my girls gets light on the top of her ears. Their coat also goes clotchy when they are malting.

I don't understand this while 'crazy Choc lab' thing. I have heard it all but I am yet to see it. My choc labs are very calm dogs and extremely easy to train. Yes i have seen crazy choc labs, but I have seen just as crazy yellow and black labs.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To me there is a genetic marker with this colour they tend to be more so crazy then your average lab.. As discussed there is a reason why guide dogs don't have them in the mix.. I loved the boy I was showing but never again would I go chocolate..

Sorry smisch, but that's bollocks!!!!!!!

I have chocolate labs and I can tell you the sun bleaching is a pain. One of my girls gets light on the top of her ears. Their coat also goes clotchy when they are malting.

I don't understand this while 'crazy Choc lab' thing. I have heard it all but I am yet to see it. My choc labs are very calm dogs and extremely easy to train. Yes i have seen crazy choc labs, but I have seen just as crazy yellow and black labs.

Admittedly I have a "crazy choc", but that is not due to her coat colour.

In the words of "that breeder", mine is a lovely dark rich chocolate liver colour. However, when she's coat dropping at the end of winter, her coat is patchy and lighter and looks a shocker until she has fully shed it all! Then it goes back to a really lovely colour.

To me there is a genetic marker with this colour they tend to be more so crazy then your average lab.. As discussed there is a reason why guide dogs don't have them in the mix.. I loved the boy I was showing but never again would I go chocolate..

RS i am in the begginers category with labs but have heard it said that if you put two choc's together you only get diluted choc and that is very bad? Same as two merle collies? Just wondering if this is true or not? I know nothing of lab colour genetics :o

Edited by german_shep_fan

RS i am lab ignorant but have heard it said that if you put two choc's together you only get diluted choc and that is very bad? Same as two merle collies? Just wondering if this is true or not? I know nothing of lab colour genetics :o

I'm not full bottle on lab genetics myself and I welcome those who are to come in and correct me or elaborate but no, it isn't as simple as saying it is bad to put 2 chocs together and this dilute thing due to mating 2 chocs I don't think exists. Labs can carry yellow, chocolate and black (black dominant) and sometimes it can help to know what colours they carry so you can mate accordingly. There is never a "dangerous" combination like mating 2 merles, but it is preferred not to mate chocolate to yellow (if they don't carry black I think it is?) as you can end up with light pigmentation which isn't desirable (but has no health effects).

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can come in and help out with this question! :)

RS i am lab ignorant but have heard it said that if you put two choc's together you only get diluted choc and that is very bad? Same as two merle collies? Just wondering if this is true or not? I know nothing of lab colour genetics :o

I'm not full bottle on lab genetics myself and I welcome those who are to come in and correct me or elaborate but no, it isn't as simple as saying it is bad to put 2 chocs together and this dilute thing due to mating 2 chocs I don't think exists. Labs can carry yellow, chocolate and black (black dominant) and sometimes it can help to know what colours they carry so you can mate accordingly. There is never a "dangerous" combination like mating 2 merles, but it is preferred not to mate chocolate to yellow (if they don't carry black I think it is?) as you can end up with light pigmentation which isn't desirable (but has no health effects).

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can come in and help out with this question! :)

Oh cool, thanks very much for the info :)

German Shep fan - this is not true. Coat genetic cannot be compared across breeds - all very different. With Labs the only way to get an all chocolate litter (well guaranteed anyway) is to breed 2 chocolate labs. As RS said, choc labs can carry a recessive yellow gene. If you breed 2 chocolate who both have this recessive yellow gene, you will get some yellow puppies. Some say this will result in a diluted chocolate colour but I do not know if this is fact or not.

Also - all shades of chocolate are fine, like there are all shades of yellow. I have known of some people who prefer the lighter colour. However the darker colour is seen as more desirable in the show ring.

I found some interesting information about them being cross breed to get the colour at one stage which leads to this reputation. Link I am not sure how true this is - but being chocolate Labradors have been around since the 1930's and also where around pre-Labradors (St Johns dogs) this makes sense.

Edited by buddy1

German Shep fan - this is not true. The only way to get an all chocolate litter (well guanateed anyway) is to breed 2 chocolate labs. Coat genetic cannot be compared across breeds - all very different. As RS said, choc labs can carry a recessive yellow gene. If you breed 2 chocolate who both have this recessive yellow gene, you will get some yellow puppies. Some say this will result in a diluted chocolate colour but I do not know if this is fact or not.

I found some interesting information about them being cross breed to get the colour at one stage which lead to this reputation. Link I am not sure how true this is - but being chocolate labradors have been around since the 1930's and also where around pre-labradors (St Johns dogs) this makes sense.

Oh great thanks for the link :) I will check it out. So are choc labs allowed to be shown or is the choc colour considered a fault? Sorry these q's are of course common knowledge im sure, but as i said i am very much a lab beginner and would love to learn more :)

OMG! that's just sad. :(

Are they for real? So what do they charge for a dog on the main register? :mad

I also noticed that poor labs lower eyelids, and the fact they all appeared quiet podgy. :(

Sounds more like a puppy farm to me, they sure pump out a few and it seems to be all about the $$$. :mad

And the no-refund policy on the deposit. :eek:

I'd be steering well clear of them.

Oh great thanks for the link :) I will check it out. So are choc labs allowed to be shown or is the choc colour considered a fault? Sorry these q's are of course common knowledge im sure, but as i said i am very much a lab beginner and would love to learn more :)

Chocolates are definetly allowed and are not a fault. There are three colours in the breed standard, yellow, black and chocolate. Each labrador has different coat genetics which breeders DNA test for to assist with mating. For example my girl is chocolate with a yellow recessive, so to get a full chocolate litter I need to mate her with a dominant chocolate stud.

Black and yellow labradors can also carry a recessive colour gene. If you are interested to know more look here.

Chocolate labs have and still do have a tough time in the show ring. Some judges prefer the other colours. However there are chocolate labs that are Australian champions.

Also not an expert but 2 chocs can produce lovely chocs if they dont carry the yellow gene. If they carry the black gene thats fine. It all depends on what colour the parents carry, my yellow boy has a chocolate mum and yellow dad, dad only carries yellow, mum carries yellow, choc and black but because dad only carries yellow none of the pups were choc, they had 2 yellows and 5 black babies, all beautiful :)

You can get some lovely choc labs but i have only ever seen 1 who i think is outstanding, in real life of course, seen many beauties on the net but i prefer the yellow and black labs myself, probably wouldnt get another yellow due to the shedding, they def shed more!!

Edited by Mason_Gibbs

Also not an expert but 2 chocs can produce lovely chocs if they dont carry the yellow gene. If they carry the black gene thats fine. It all depends on what colour the parents carry, my yellow boy has a chocolate mum and yellow dad, dad only carries yellow, mum carries yellow, choc and black but because dad only carries yellow none of the pups were choc, they had 2 yellows and 5 black babies, all beautiful :)

You can get some lovely choc labs but i have only ever seen 1 who i think is outstanding, in real life of course, seen many beauties on the net but i prefer the yellow and black labs myself, probably wouldnt get another yellow due to the shedding, they def shed more!!

Chocolates are a bit different to yellow and blacks, who can carry any colour gene. A chocolate can only carry yellow - not black.

This yellow recessive gene only impacts if both parent have the gene. However, even from this mating you can still get lovely dark puppies. See this boy is from parent with yellow recessive and had some yellow litter mates.

post-38246-0-94514900-1327281410_thumb.jpg

Edited by buddy1

I know both hazel and brown are accepted eye colours, but in terms of frequency, are chocolates prone to having lighter coloured eyes? I don't know if it's lighting, coat contrast, coincidence or what, but many of the chocolates I've seen in photos (I've only met a couple in person) appear to have hazel (and sometime even fairer shades than that) eyes.

DID ANYONE SEE THE TO ME!!! Mentioned in that sentence I never said it was true but from discussions round the ring and with a few other people and meeting other over a number of years that was my own personsl conclusion, my aunt had bred and been involved wirg labs for a number of years and i had never seen the behaviours associated with the yellows but as I said it was TO ME.. And before anyone asks yes she was a registered breeder only ever had 2 litters as she didn't end up getting a bitch from either to continue her line by which time she decided there were enough people to breed labs so she stopped..

Like I said jmho about what I think.

Chocolates are definetly allowed and are not a fault. There are three colours in the breed standard, yellow, black and chocolate. Each labrador has different coat genetics which breeders DNA test for to assist with mating. For example my girl is chocolate with a yellow recessive, so to get a full chocolate litter I need to mate her with a dominant chocolate stud.

Black and yellow labradors can also carry a recessive colour gene. If you are interested to know more look here.

Chocolate labs have and still do have a tough time in the show ring. Some judges prefer the other colours. However there are chocolate labs that are Australian champions.

And as mentioned they can be a real pain to keep in colour.. Or atleast that's what I found uv bleaching sucked...my boys cousin or something was out in the ring.. Such a difference between him and my boy as his owner had done all the right things lol me not so much

For some other breeds colour does seem to influence temperament (eg bloack pugs, black mini schnauzers)?

I was told dark red (sorry dont know what the offical colour is called) cockers can have a snappy temperament too? idk how true that is, just something i was told by reputable trainer. Everyone has their own opinions i guess.

I've had yellow and now chocolate; no behaviour difference. The chocs at obedience are no different to the yellows or blacks. In fact in regards to excellent behaviour there's a chocolate female at obedience that is a stand-out.

I've heard this rumour before and i've never found any factual evidence to support the claim; there are chocolates used in a number of guide dogs associations across the world.

I can't see how colour could affect temperament? It doesn't seem logical..... Does anyone have evidence or research to show there is something to this?

german shep fan, I think you're talking about Cocker Rage, a so called "syndrome" that affects golden Cockers. As far as I know there is no basis of truth to this, happy to be corrected though byu someone who knows more!