How Long Between Seasons ?

mumoftwo

I have spoken to my vet and she has reassured me that vaccinating her before mating her is very safe - it will probably be another 2 -3 months by the time she is mated. I believe Im doing everything correctly to ensure a healthy bitch and healthy puppies. Its not like Im a first time breeder !!!!!! It actually states in the Dogs NSW Guideline for breeders that "before she is mated make sure all her vaccinations are up to date and that she is wormed regularly" And Im getting quite sick of people on here implying I know nothing about breeding

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have spoken to my vet and she has reassured me that vaccinating her before mating her is very safe - it will probably be another 2 -3 months by the time she is mated. I believe Im doing everything correctly to ensure a healthy bitch and healthy puppies. Its not like Im a first time breeder !!!!!! It actually states in the Dogs NSW Guideline for breeders that "before she is mated make sure all her vaccinations are up to date and that she is wormed regularly" And Im getting quite sick of people on here implying I know nothing about breeding

ALthough the bitch is not in season yet, she could come in soon too.

Though your original inquiry was how long between Cavalier seasons as you wondered when she might come in.

Oh, and I'm not sure about the breed you have but in my experience Cavaliers bleed more than any other entire female I have owned, to the point of needing sanitary pants for up to two weeks. :eek:

You are doing the right thing by making sure her immunisations are up to date before breeding her.

ALthough the bitch is not in season yet, she could come in soon too.

Though your original inquiry was how long between Cavalier seasons as you wondered when she might come in.

Oh, and I'm not sure about the breed you have but in my experience Cavaliers bleed more than any other entire female I have owned, to the point of needing sanitary pants for up to two weeks. :eek:

You are doing the right thing by making sure her immunisations are up to date before breeding her.

Thank you LizT !!! I will keep that in mind about the pads !

I would then suggest that you read Jeans Dodds,of Hemo Pet, whom is considered a world authority on vaccinations.

Her findings are most enlightening. :)

I would then suggest that you read Jeans Dodds,of Hemo Pet, whom is considered a world authority on vaccinations.

Her findings are most enlightening. :)

I have seen many times firsthand the results of NOT vaccinating and in my opinion and many others its a much safer option to have them vaccinated...........

I vaccinated my bitch when she was in season before she was mated, Also safe. She was due when she cane into season, I thinks its quite important to make sure a bitch I'd up to date with vaccinations if you plan to breed.

The OP has answered every question thrown at her and still some appear to as the OP says "get on their high horse"

I have just bred my first litter, I have a mentor that has been involved in the breed for 30 years, but reading a lot of post from many of the same people I really don't think I would ask anything here!!

All the best with the litter, I hope you get what you want from the breeding.

Edited by Pockets

<My question was if it was common for King Charles to go longer than 6 months !!! >

Please try to get the breed right! She is not a King Charles - they are a totally different breed. I am in serious doubt about how you know she is such a great example of the breed...

<My question was if it was common for King Charles to go longer than 6 months !!! >

Please try to get the breed right! She is not a King Charles - they are a totally different breed. I am in serious doubt about how you know she is such a great example of the breed...

I am with you Gretel. Vet nurse or not you should know the breed correctly. Common name is Cavs the others are Charlies.

I am only new to breeding, but I think you need something other than your opinion that your girl is a good example to breed from.

I agree with the adivce of putting her through the ring, it may be difficult to organise but the experience and knowledge you will gain should outway this. If you get good results in the ring, this will only work for you when it comes time to have pups, and selling offspring.

I posted here recently for advice, I was asked simliar questions by the other members too.

I too am a vet nurse, but I still have ALOT to learn about being a dog breeder.....get as much real life breed experience as you can. See as many dogs, talk to as many people, go to shows, lectures, what ever it takes to find out how the best of your breed do it.

I think a mentor is what you might need if you are new to your breed. Even if you have a lot of experience in dogs, each breed has it's own nuances that a breed afficianado would know.

I also feel that an 'apprenticeship' in your breed would benefit, if you havn't been in CKCS for a long time, then I would begin with showing your girl, which has the added plus of seeing many to compare her with as well as having her assessed for type & quality.

Personally I feel that breeding should come after a long learning process about your particular breed, knowing its history, lines, health and testing, showing or in some way having them honestly assessed ect..ect....

fifi

Unbelievable,if you had bothered to read my earlier comment, I accidentally typed the words the wrong way around !! I dont particularly care if you doubt my ability to judge whether she's a good example of the breed, I shouldve known better than to ask people on this forum for their opinions - while most people are willing to help there are quite a few that go out of their way to be judgemental and nasty.

I am with you Gretel. Vet nurse or not you should know the breed correctly. Common name is Cavs the others are Charlies.

Oh wow remind me never to make an error on this forum ever again, you must be the only few that have never made a mistake. You and people like you are the reason I thought long and hard whether to ask for advice, but no longer will I do so. There are much friendlier and helpful forums elsewhere :)

Unbelievable,if you had bothered to read my earlier comment, I accidentally typed the words the wrong way around !! I dont particularly care if you doubt my ability to judge whether she's a good example of the breed, I shouldve known better than to ask people on this forum for their opinions - while most people are willing to help there are quite a few that go out of their way to be judgemental and nasty.

I have read all the replies including the one I was commenting on in which you call your dog a King Charles. There are Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and there are King Charles Spaniels. Do you know which one yours is? Or is that a nasty question?

Oh wow remind me never to make an error on this forum ever again, you must be the only few that have never made a mistake. You and people like you are the reason I thought long and hard whether to ask for advice, but no longer will I do so. There are much friendlier and helpful forums elsewhere :)

I know for a fact I have made mistakes but I can't speak for others :laugh: The one mistake I do not make is knowing the name of my breed.

In fairness Mumoftwo, you made the mistake twice. Which confused me too. Firstly when you made your first post you called her a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel, when you were picked up on this you claim a typo, fair enough.

But later in a subsequent post you left out Cavalier entirely and referred to the dog as a King Charles Spaniel. This is the post Gretel has quoted, not your original post. Cav (and probably Charlie) people are a bit touchy about this. And every credible breeder is protective of their breed.

In fairness Mumoftwo, you made the mistake twice. Which confused me too. Firstly when you made your first post you called her a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel, when you were picked up on this you claim a typo, fair enough.

But later in a subsequent post you left out Cavalier entirely and referred to the dog as a King Charles Spaniel. This is the post Gretel has quoted, not your original post. Cav (and probably Charlie) people are a bit touchy about this. And every credible breeder is protective of their breed.

I referred to the breed as King Charles not King Charles Spaniel !! I wrote King Charles to abbreviate it !! My god I cannot believe the pettiness of you all !! Let me spell it out for you - I have a female C -A- V-A- L- I- E- R K- I- N- G C- H- A-R- L- E- S !!!

I referred to the breed as King Charles not King Charles Spaniel !! I wrote King Charles to abbreviate it !! My god I cannot believe the pettiness of you all !! Let me spell it out for you - I have a female C -A- V-A- L- I- E- R K- I- N- G C- H- A-R- L- E- S !!!

Not a Cav breeder or anything but I think you made another typo as there is the is no breed with just those three words...

Is your breed the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel? If so You forgot the spaniel this time.

Also I thought King Charles was more of a shortening of the King Charles Spaniel?? So perhaps you have one of them?? :confused:

I hope your future puppy owners won't be as confused as I am as I still don't know what breed you really have? Perhaps a picture so the experienced King Charles Spaniel and Cavalier King Charles Spaniel breeders can identify it for you. I mean their standards are quite different so what is a good example for one would be a bad example for another.

Edited by Jumabaar

I have read all the replies including the one I was commenting on in which you call your dog a King Charles. There are Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and there are King Charles Spaniels. Do you know which one yours is? Or is that a nasty question?

No its not a nasty question but it certainly is sarcastic. I will write out 100 times the correct name of the breed in full without abbreviating or mixing the name up. I do humbly apologize if I have offended anyone on this forum. It wont happen again because I dont want to be associated with such breeders that never ever make mistakes and who claim to know everything. Just one last thing - I want everyone to know that I adore every single animal I have ever owned, my previous puppy buyers always send emails on how happy they are with my puppies, they have never had a health problem, never ever returned a puppy because it had a hereditary disease,no complaints ever ! So I must be doing something right ! One lady bought two of my puppys and they have grown into very intelligent dogs that are top in obedience classes. My dog went to the vets this afternoon and had her vaccination, and she also passed her health exam with flying colours !! And you will never guess what the vet wrote on her new vaccination card as the breed - KING CHARLES CAVALIER !!!

No its not a nasty question but it certainly is sarcastic. I will write out 100 times the correct name of the breed in full without abbreviating or mixing the name up. I do humbly apologize if I have offended anyone on this forum. It wont happen again because I dont want to be associated with such breeders that never ever make mistakes and who claim to know everything. Just one last thing - I want everyone to know that I adore every single animal I have ever owned, my previous puppy buyers always send emails on how happy they are with my puppies, they have never had a health problem, never ever returned a puppy because it had a hereditary disease,no complaints ever ! So I must be doing something right ! One lady bought two of my puppys and they have grown into very intelligent dogs that are top in obedience classes. My dog went to the vets this afternoon and had her vaccination, and she also passed her health exam with flying colours !! And you will never guess what the vet wrote on her new vaccination card as the breed - KING CHARLES CAVALIER !!!

Wow quality vet.

Wow quality vet.

Yes she is actually ! I will pass on the compliment......