Dog Attack: Woman Screams For Help

Teebs

That's a terrible situation that happen to the poor girl, but the dogs were behind a fence and we don't know if it was a case of owner neglect or a feak accident that the fence came down?. If the fence was clearly faulty and fragile that's a bit different, but from an owners perspective, the fence may have appeared sound and wasn't until the two dogs charged at it hard enough that the fence failed to withstand the pressure?

Just out of curiosity for those who think that calmfood throwing strategy is a load of rubbish what would you do in the event of an attack?

Not sure, other than screaming bloody murder . . . and perhaps looking for a weapon.

I once did a flying tackle on a dog that was attacking another dog. That worked pretty well, as I'm no lightweight and the dog kinda collapsed. But it's dangerous. I was lucky that the dog didn't go for my throat.

Calming and throwing food may be useful in heading off an attack, but once the dog has launched in, I think it's pretty useless. Also, I don't like food based reward systems, except in the limited way of using food to go on to food-free training systems, and there's no way I'm going to routinely carry food on my walks.

Edited by sandgrubber

If you want a dog to bite you the best way is to pick up the object they want to bite, get them excited, scream, display prey like body language ( think frightened rabbit) and run.

Poor girl, I hope she recovers mentally and physically.

:o I have on a couple of occasions picked up a labrador when attacked by large dogs . ...then backed away from the property frontage slowly , until the dog was satisfied I was off his patch.

I have never carried food/treats .

Nowdays I do always have a hiking staff /walking stick .

I remember once being attacked by a dally tied outside a shop ..I gave it clearance (I could not cross the road as it was a very busy city shopping precinct ) and then it lunged and broke the leash! That was scary !! Luckily the owner came rushing out of a shop and no disaster happened.

Once many years ago ,where I worked had a large and protective/aggressive GSD . Very well obedience trained , but not friendly at all to anyone bar family.(who were away) One night I locked myself out the front entrance, and had to get back into the building to lock up for the night ... the only way was thru a short section of backyard where the dog was .There's not much more fearsome sound on a dark night than a big dog growling non stop behind a gate which one has to use :(

When I got my shaking under control ..I roared at him to SIT . On the second go, he did . I then got him to down, and stay. I then unlocked the gate and walked past him , telling him what a good dog he was , blah blah ..all the while listening to him growling/grumbling , and thanking the universe he was trained . I then really upset him by throwing him some food as a reward ....he was so ambivalent ! :p

I would drop my smaller dogs leads too as I'm pretty sure they could outrun most big dogs apart from sight hounds. The bigger dogs I would try to defend, with whatever I could get hold of. It's almost too horrible to think about :(

I wouldn't drop the leash...I imagine my dog would run straight under a car and the attacking dogs would disappear un-harmed.

Neither of my dogs would stand a chance against any dog that I couldn't fight off myself. Fergs is fast but I don't know whether he would leave me. If he did run off, I'm confortable he'd find some help, kiss them and I'd get a call to pick him up. Lucy is fear aggressive and she'd try to stay and fight so I couldn't drop the leash. I'd block her with my body, yell for help and hope for the best. I'd most probably throw some food just in case they weren't serious.

Surely this would be a police matter? Why should the woman have to implement proceedings. There has been a horrific attack resulting in life changing injuries. If a human being had done this, the police/State would be prosecuting.

They can do that (although a fine is what they'd most probably get). However, she can also file a civilian suit for compensation. If enough people do this then the d*ckheads might contain their dogs better.

Guest donatella

I wouldn't drop the lead, there is too much other danger (cars, getting lost and not returned etc). I would pick up, kick and scream for neighbors attention. At the risk of getting a bite myself, that's what I would do for protection.

Mine is likely to lie on her back submissive and have her guts ripped out in front of my eyes, I don't even think she would run off.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-27.465382,153.077083

If you want a dog to bite you the best way is to pick up the object they want to bite, get them excited, scream, display prey like body language ( think frightened rabbit) and run.

Unfortunately unless you want your tiny dog torn to pieces in front of you what besides picking your dog up and standing your ground are your other options - my tiny man would stay with me because he thinks I will protect him. Really p's me off that it is no longer safe to go for a walk with a small dog - hope this poor girls sacrifice was worth it and her little dog made it through the attack. I have seen what two big dogs attacking a tiny dog do and its not pleasant as the little dog dies a truly horrible death and I can assure you it is not something you can ever forget.

My brother did none of those things, when attacked by 6 greyhounds who pulled their owner off his feet and dragged him until he lost hold of their leads. when he realised they were after his shetland sheep dog he lifted her in his hands and held her the full heigh of his hands n he is nearly 6 foot himself. add the length of his arms and she was some 9 foot at least above them, they kept trying to run up his body and grab her. but kept falling back. they were muzzled so probably thats what saved her life and finally their owner got there and pulled them off. they were so excited he couldnt pull all 4 off and had to tie them one at a time to a fence and let my brother get home before he tried to lead them.

i understand its actually illegal to try to lead too many greyhounds at the same time. obvious why now.

so dont assume holding your ground and not running will stop such attacks either.

Edited by asal

If there was a high wall I'd rather throw my dogs over it than pick them up. Unless you're very tall and very solid and can hold your dog above your head, then picking them up will only encourage the attackers. It would be better to put your dog behind you on a short leash and turn to block the dogs.

comments are now being posted up there

Every bulldog and pit breed standard states that many mature to be dog aggressive. How about we stop breeding dog-aggressive dogs? Now that dog fighting is illegal, no one needs these expert traits.

Dogs suffer from these man-made behaviors. Yes all dogs will bite, but Bulldogs and Pits are the experts. That's why they remain the tortured choice of dog fighters.

Free,mandatory spay/neuter microchipping of all pits/pit mixes/ all dog aggressive dogs.

Of all breed traits, dog aggression is the worst. If it is illegal for me to attack, it should be illegal to breed attackers.

Thankfully I have never yet been in this position. My dog is a mid-sized dog, in the 25-30kg range, but lanky. He has approached a woman walking a smaller dog once, in an off-leash area (we were on a deserted beach - I took my eye off my dog, who was by my side, for a minute to put something in my bag. I didn't realise there was an access path to the beach behind the dunes and basically a woman and her two dogs - one collie, one SWF - came onto the beach and my dog went over to them). He didn't attack and he didn't charge, but he did give her a fright I think just by the potential of bigger dog/smaller dog.

One tactic I've tried with success when approached by a stiff and posturing dog, with mine on-leash, is to position myself between my dog and the approaching dog and be 'menacing' at it - draw self up to full height, lean forward, make eye contact and use a stern, loud voice to order the other dog away. They usually veer off and try heading around behind. It's not ideal, but up to now it's taken the 'speed' out of their approach and diffused the situation somewhat.

However if rushed by two or more dogs I think I'd have to drop his leash and work on putting myself between him and them (though he'd probably bloody run around me and charge up to them).