No Motivation?

Jordan Windebank

Hi everyone,

Today I took Fletcher to his first Puppy Kinder session and he was beautifully behaved, with the exception of being completely unmotivated to do much of anything. He is a very laid back pup and other than his bursts of crazy in the mornings and evenings, he pretty much spends the rest of the day just chilling out.

I love how relaxed he is and that he doesn't have some of the boisterous behavior of other puppies (part of why we chose a Bernese) but it did make it a bit tricky to get him to participate this morning. I have tried using treats of liver, cheese and even raw meat and whilst he likes them, they don't really motivate him to join in much.

Now, can anyone please recommend any other treats I can try to see if I have better success, or if it is just his nature and I will be forever trying to convince him to play? :lol:

Thanks! :D

It is only his first session so don't worry too much :) .

If he is a pup that sits back and assesses things before jumping into the fray that can be a good thing.

I wouldn't worry too much about 'motivating' him to play with the other dogs. When he wants to he will, I am sure.

Given a few more sessions I think you will find he is having a fine time if you let him go at his own pace.

When I bought Abby, I was given a bag of Pig Snouts. And god does she love them...

I got her to sit and lay down in one shot with the snouts than with any other treat...

:) Yoghurt drops is another one I've seen, haven't tried it yet, will use the pig snouts for as long as I can.

Hi everyone,

Today I took Fletcher to his first Puppy Kinder session and he was beautifully behaved, with the exception of being completely unmotivated to do much of anything. He is a very laid back pup and other than his bursts of crazy in the mornings and evenings, he pretty much spends the rest of the day just chilling out.

I love how relaxed he is and that he doesn't have some of the boisterous behavior of other puppies (part of why we chose a Bernese) but it did make it a bit tricky to get him to participate this morning. I have tried using treats of liver, cheese and even raw meat and whilst he likes them, they don't really motivate him to join in much.

Now, can anyone please recommend any other treats I can try to see if I have better success, or if it is just his nature and I will be forever trying to convince him to play? :lol:

Ha don't worry Jordan Rogue slept through most of his session.. He is just like your boy laid back bursts of energy, my boy sleeps most of the day away. Puppy school'starts are 6.30 -8 Rogue would be asleep by 7 lol.. His lesson last week was the best that was our 3rd :-) he was awake for the whole session :-) Just practice at home what you learn Rogue is the best in the class even though he isn't awake for most lol lol..

We use Chunkers at my obedience club & the dogs love them. They are in the pet section of the fridge at Woolies & Coles.

Like the others said it was only the 1st day. Sooty my son's 11 y/o dog spent her 1st puppy school class under our chairs. The next week she ventured out to play with the other 2 pups.

Hi everyone,

Do you mean unmotivated to work for you or unmotivated to play with other puppies?

What does he like best?- Toy, Praise/attention, Food?

Use what he responds to best to reward him.

As for getting him to play with other puppies- if he is not interested there is no point in pushing him. He may not be interested in playing with other dogs yet (or ever). I know quite a few Bernese and they are quite selective of their playmates. I've only met one who wanted to play with everyone

Benny is the same! I think Fletcher might just be a little cautious, which is by no means a bad thing. It's good that he can be sensible and assess the situation before jumping right into something new.

He'll most likely come out of his shell after a few weeks, or perhaps he just is more interested in his human family than making other doggy friends. :)

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies.

He wasn't anxious or concerned about playing with other dogs, it was more just a general laziness. :laugh: It's about the only way I know how to describe it. I was watching all of the other pups jumping around like crazy trying to get treats and were completely focused on what they needed to do as they desperately wanted the food, but I could barely even convince Fletcher to get up out of a sit to try again.

He was happy for other pups to come up and say hi but had zero interest in playing with them, which didn't concern me at all.

I'll try some of the suggestions regarding different treats and see how we go. We did giver him breakfast before hand so is it worth cutting back his food that morning, or removing breakfast completely?

Appreciate all of the advice. Thanks. :)

Sounds like a typical Berner to me .

To be honest i wouldn't worry if he doesn't interact ,the puppy school free for all often teaches puppies that any dog they see is free game to play & owners end up in a pickle when suddenly they try to teach the same pup that you can't always play ,having a giant breed that is happy not to join in will be a blessing when older .

Berners are lazy,laid back & that is what is why people love them,they prefer to be around humans doing human pleasing jobs like pulling the carts

Haha thanks guys. Puppy class is first thing in the morning so don't think a late breakfast would be too horrible. :)

We did get a Berner for his laid back nature (but not the cart pulling :laugh:) however without him being even slightly motivated by food or toys I'm a little unsure how to spend time teaching him.

In good news however, he was going completely crazy for chunkers and cabana tonight so hopefully a good sign. :D

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies.

He wasn't anxious or concerned about playing with other dogs, it was more just a general laziness. :laugh: It's about the only way I know how to describe it. I was watching all of the other pups jumping around like crazy trying to get treats and were completely focused on what they needed to do as they desperately wanted the food, but I could barely even convince Fletcher to get up out of a sit to try again.

He was happy for other pups to come up and say hi but had zero interest in playing with them, which didn't concern me at all.

Nothing wrong with that. Sounds ideal to me...

I'll try some of the suggestions regarding different treats and see how we go. We did giver him breakfast before hand so is it worth cutting back his food that morning, or removing breakfast completely?

If class is in the mornings then feed him half his usual meal the night before and nothing in the morning. You will make up for it in training and a hungry dog is much more persistent in earning treats than a full one!

Try things like chicken chunkers, cheese sticks, boiled meat, cooked sausage, chicken roll, cabana, etc.

It's actually a fantastic thing that your guy doesn't rush up to other dogs. This is what I'm trying to train my dogs not to do: automatically assume that the dog 20 kilometres away is "ooh friend" and bolt off towards them not listening to my recalls.

Also, if it was only the first class I wouldn't be too worried either because some puppies like to sit back and analyse their situation and you might find that next class he's a bit more adventurous. These are strange puppies to him so he's probably just being cautious! :)

Glad to hear the Chunkers are working -- I prefer the lamb and veggie ones myself because they don't start to smell of rotten egg when training in the heat of the morning.

You can also try hotdogs (remove the skin though) and even BBQ chicken. Once you find something he likes, stick with it.

And I agree … as his training sessions are in the morning, cut back on his dinner and not give him his breakfast. He'll think he's starving and work harder to get the food!

And if that doesn't work he just might not be a food motivated dog in which case you can try using his favourite tug toy as a reward. Whatever works and keeps puppy happy and focussed!

Best of luck and enjoy training with your pup! Berners are such gorgeous puppies/dogs!! :D

My dog wasn't particularly food motivated when he was young - was a bit frustraiting at dog obedience but I did found he liked atttention, just a 'good boy' better than food! He's not particularly into other dogs sometimes too - more of a smooze running up to random people and saying oh HI! - Just a matter of finding what their motivation is..took me a while!