To Report Or Not To Report...

I need a little advice...

Zeke and I have been walking around out block lots, perfect exercise for an old arthritis guy since it doesn't stress his legs while letting him get out and about. Several times now, we have been charged by a distant neighbour's dog. It's a little smaller than Zeke, a medium crossbreed - some ridgeback, kelpie, but that's only a guess. Not the part I'm worried about.

It's charging through the gates which are always open, barking, hackles up, direct line of sight on Zeke. We are always on the opposite side of the road but it crosses. Zeke and I stop, I place myself slightly in front of him, and the dog usually stops in front of us when I roar at it to get away. I am lucky Zeke has such a calm disposition - while I can tell he is uncomfortable with the situation, he takes his cues from me, he just stands his ground until I cue him to keep going. As I don't want to simply continue walking, turning our backs on this dog, I feel it's asking for trouble. By this point the female owner has usually heard her dog barking and me yelling and comes out and grabs it, saying 'sorry' as she drags it back inside.

A few days ago the charge didn't stop - it barged right into me. I feel it is getting more aggressive and I definitely don't want to see this behaviour continue.

My wonder is weather to approach the owners first and speak about the problem (obviously without Zeke along) or just to report to council. Obviously I would usually report because that's what they're there for and this is a dog attacking us outside its property. However... this is a small neighborhood... I am one of the few who walks their dog... an it would be obvious, who made the complaint. My close neighbours are all wonderful, but I don't know much about these ones. I don't particularly want to be making enemies if I can help it so I tend to think I ought to speak to them first - at least I have given them fair warning BEFORE I report to council. I'm now weighing up living peacefully in the neighbourhood vs my dog getting hurt. Not something I am willing to stand for... but I am sure some of you have read horror stories about vengeful neighbours and pets and would know why I want to keep things as polite as possible. I don't want my attempt to protect Zeke lead to anything worse, even if I am just being mainly paranoid.

Edited by Chris the Rebel Wolf

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd probably have a chat to the owners first before taking it to the council. If the owner has seemed apologetic in the past, a friendly "Hey there, your dog seems to get out a bit, my dog's a little intimidated by it and I'm also worried it might get injured by cars etc. Would you mind making sure the gate's locked?" might be enough to stop the problem without starting any tensions.

Even a letter in the mail box might help if you feel the conversation might be difficult to have (non-confrontational too!).

Best of luck!

I'd probably have a chat to the owners first before taking it to the council. If the owner has seemed apologetic in the past, a friendly "Hey there, your dog seems to get out a bit, my dog's a little intimidated by it and I'm also worried it might get injured by cars etc. Would you mind making sure the gate's locked?" might be enough to stop the problem without starting any tensions.

Even a letter in the mail box might help if you feel the conversation might be difficult to have (non-confrontational too!).

Best of luck!

+1

Always (almost always) better to try things on a human level before calling for government intervention.

Edited by sandgrubber

This baffles me about some dog owners. If your dog runs out at people and you have to then run out and bring them inside saying sorry, why on earth can they not keep their gates shut.

To the OP it's hard to know if talking to them or leaving a note is better. Talking face to face gives ownership of the situation and they can also see how their dog is affecting you and you could emphasive on the dog becoming more bold.. You don't know them but she has said sorry so she has a heart, just no common sense :-) Leaving a note is safe and then if the behaviour continues you can feel satisfied that you tried and can ring the council :-)

I hope all goes well :-)

PS we have spoken to neighbours re their dog getting out , it took a few conversations and my OH saying if it happens again we would report it', we have not had another issue :-)

Forgive me for sounding nasty, but I think that unless the dog in question is both friendly and well trained and the owner is present I think that dogs have no place being allowed out of a fenced yard at all.

As much as I would love to have my dog in my unfenced front yard with me while I garden or wash the car, I understand that while she's friendly she is also large and doesn't have the best recall - she might frighten someone by running up to them and that would be enough to warrant a council complaint.

If this owner was at all responsible, after their dog had rushed you/your dog/anyone in an aggressive manner even once they'd make sure that gate was closed from then on. If you had reason to yell or feel uncomfortable and she continues to leave the dog unsecured she is demonstrating her ambivalence to the situation. She knows her dog is doing this and probably more people are threatened then just you and she continues to leave the gate open. What's the point in talking to her about it - she KNOWS and is doing nothing. In the meantime, a child might be attacked or someone walking their smaller dog might have their pet injured or killed.

I would go letter too, explain that your dog is older and is getting upset, and that you really don't want to report it, but someone else might.

We had a new neighbour a few years back who came from the country and thought it was fine for his 2 cattle dogs to terrorise the whole street, one was very fear aggressive.( did bite another neighbour on the thigh).

I lost the plot one day when one was on my front lawn growling at my daughter, she couldn't get past to come home from school, i had few choice words with him :laugh:

We are now good friends, i apologized for my rant, however he now has a very friendly kelpie who charges across the road to play with my 3 when we go out :rolleyes:

I would speak to them first, or write a letter if you feel more comfortable, at least that way you have tried every avenue before reporting it.

It's certainly not on and I probably would have given her a piece of my mind if it had have happened to me, especially on more than one occasion.

What is wrong with people?!

I would drop a letter.

I would explain whom I was, and in my opening comment, also apologise for not approaching them in person, but you were afraid of entering their yard because of their dog.

I would be very nice in the letter and appeal to their sensibilities and safety for their dog as well as my own and my dog's safety.

I would even go on to say that I am not one to put in formal complaints, but somebody else might do so, and I would loathe to see that happen....

...but that's just me. :)

Good luck with it.

"I'm now weighing up living peacefully in the neighbourhood vs my dog getting hurt" (quoted)

There's nothing peaceful about feeling unsafe walking your dog either. Repeated approaches by off lead or unattended dogs, or dogs that we see as aggressive can affect both our feelings of safety, and our dogs. Some people ar more conident in dealing with dog approaches, I'm not, but tat's not the point either. The point is if you feel like you can't go somewhere in your neighbourhood for fear of a dog attack, it is serious business.

I understand that upsetting this distant neighbour isn't what you want, and that it might make you feel uncomfortable, but realistically, this person's lack of control over their dog is already making you feel very uncomfortable. It will be more upsetting for everyone if the dog is siezed by council for an attack.

There is a potential risk in upsetting the neighbour, but it may be more likely that you or your dog will be injured in the near furture. Weigh up what is more likely to happen.

Council, or a note in the letter box, it's up to you which you choose.

Also include that it's guarding behavior is becoming bolder and whilst it is good that her dog can provide security for the home and family.... it could result in an incident that in turn could lead to the dog being seized and PTS. And if they love their dog like you do yours, you would hate to think how that would affect them etc.

I would drop a letter.

I would explain whom I was, and in my opening comment, also apologise for not approaching them in person, but you were afraid of entering their yard because of their dog.

I would be very nice in the letter and appeal to their sensibilities and safety for their dog as well as my own and my dog's safety.

I would even go on to say that I am not one to put in formal complaints, but somebody else might do so, and I would loathe to see that happen....

...but that's just me. :)

Good luck with it.

:thumbsup:

I'd also be very concerned if a child was out walking a small dog, with their reaction being to run away screaming...could turn nasty

Been walking by the place every day since posting this, and the dog is contained :thumbsup: So I haven't said anything... but I lean towards wanting to mention it still, if I see one of the owners. I'd rather have the air cleared because I get the feeling this will keep reoccurring in the future, weather or not it's happening right now.

I somehow doubt that - I am one of the only people in this neighbourhood who walks their dog, which is part of the 'should I report' problem. They would automatically know it was me. It's a small enough place there is only the one block to walk around which is in fact why I haven't chosen a different route - I could go along the highway, but if you saw the way some people drive around here you'd rather risk an aggressive dog than walk beside idiots hooning along at 140ks an hour.

Well another update today and not such good news. After several walks with no hassle, today we got charged again. Decided enough was enough. Went to talk to the owner, without taking Zeke along. Dog btw was quite friendly once I came into the yard and chatted to the owner. Sniff, lick, sure - I'm fine without my dog, which only confirmed my suspicion Zeke was the one the aggression I'm seeing is aimed at.

Explained my situation. Got lots and lots of excuses. New dog, still working on training, usually really good, just wants to play with other dogs. I very firmly stated the behaviour I was seeing was not friendly behaviour - it was very aggressive behaviour and I was concerned my dog or myself was going to get bitten. She asked which days I walked - I said I walked anyday, I don't have set days. Seems to be nice enough, but also said she wasn't going to put fences up the front. Confused me - she has fences. The two gates on them are just left wide open. It's not my concern how she keeps her dog inside.

I'm still really worried. She seems to me like she's not going to be able to keep her dog from charging, and we're going to just be in this situation again someday soon.

If you have spoken kindly to her and she is not willing to do something about it (and it happens again) i would call council. Perhaps (i know this would be hard) if possible film the dog when it races out at you and show your evidence to council. I had the same issue some years back, the council officer even had a number of photos with him and asked me to choose which dog it was that was charging us from it house. I picked the dog but the guy still seemed unwilling to do anything about it and seemed suprised when i picked the correct dog quickly. Not sure if it was because the dog was a lab, anyway my call did nothing as said dog still continued to charge us till the day the owners finally moved :happydance: