Dog Attack

petermoore

I have rescued greyhound, she's 6yo and we've had her for almost 3years now. She has a wonderful nature with people, but is often a little unnsure how to act around other dogs. She seems to have learnt from our neighbour's dogs to bark at dogs as they walk past our place, and she does ocassionally take on an aggressive pose to other dogs, but its all show and she has never attempted to bite or chase another dog or cat.

Like all greyhounds she loves to run, we had her at our local beach (in a regional area so it wasn't busy) and she was happily swimming with us until she got spooked by a large wave and took off for a run. She does this occassionally and usually involves a short sprint at top pace in a rough circle back to us. On this ocassion she came across a large pit bull looking dog ( I will call it a pit bull but I am not certain) the pit bull was on a leash but was extremly aggressive toward our dog. Our dog doesn't realise the danger she is in and barks back at the pit bull, the pit bull is on a leash so the situation looks under control, that is until the pit bull breaks its leash grabs our dog and starts trying to kill it. I am not exaggerating the blood and gapping wounds on our dog were horrific, the vet said that a smaller dog would almost certainly have been killed by the attack.

I acknowledge that we contributed to the situation by not having our dog on a leash, but the pit also wasn't adequately restrained, my question is how do I have this dog declared dangerous and am I entitled to ask the owner of the pit bull to pay the vet bill? We are in Qld.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have rescued greyhound, she's 6yo and we've had her for almost 3years now. She has a wonderful nature with people, but is often a little unnsure how to act around other dogs. She seems to have learnt from our neighbour's dogs to bark at dogs as they walk past our place, and she does ocassionally take on an aggressive pose to other dogs, but its all show and she has never attempted to bite or chase another dog or cat.

Like all greyhounds she loves to run, we had her at our local beach (in a regional area so it wasn't busy) and she was happily swimming with us until she got spooked by a large wave and took off for a run. She does this occassionally and usually involves a short sprint at top pace in a rough circle back to us. On this ocassion she came across a large pit bull looking dog ( I will call it a pit bull but I am not certain) the pit bull was on a leash but was extremly aggressive toward our dog. Our dog doesn't realise the danger she is in and barks back at the pit bull, the pit bull is on a leash so the situation looks under control, that is until the pit bull breaks its leash grabs our dog and starts trying to kill it. I am not exaggerating the blood and gapping wounds on our dog were horrific, the vet said that a smaller dog would almost certainly have been killed by the attack.

I acknowledge that we contributed to the situation by not having our dog on a leash, but the pit also wasn't adequately restrained, my question is how do I have this dog declared dangerous and am I entitled to ask the owner of the pit bull to pay the vet bill? We are in Qld.

Terrible. :(

Report it for sure. Your dog may not have been under control (small fine for you), but that other dog sounds extremely dangerous. They should pay your vet bill, and that dog should be declared dangerous.

I really hope your dog is ok. Greyhounds are fragile, and shouldn't be off lead at all unless in an enclosed space.

Speak to a leagal representative would be best.

Also find out if it was a beach where dogs could be off lead.

Legally I can't help - hope your dog is OK.

From one point of view ,your dog seems like the one who wasn't adequately controlled though .. :o

she came across a large pit bull looking dog ( I will call it a pit bull but I am not certain) the pit bull was on a leash but was extremly aggressive toward our dog. Our dog doesn't realise the danger she is in and barks back at the pit bull, the pit bull is on a leash

Legally I can't help - hope your dog is OK.

From one point of view ,your dog seems like the one who wasn't adequately controlled though .. :o

she came across a large pit bull looking dog ( I will call it a pit bull but I am not certain) the pit bull was on a leash but was extremly aggressive toward our dog. Our dog doesn't realise the danger she is in and barks back at the pit bull, the pit bull is on a leash

From a council point of view, only one of those dogs caused harm. And if the other dog broke the leash, it certainly wasn't under control. For the safety of everyone else, that dog should be reported, even if it means that the OP has to accept a small fine.

Oh poor you & your dog.... how horrific :( What did the other dog owner say/do??

I've just started taking my little Cav to the beach & my OH was worried about the same thing happening. If I personally had a dog that was agressive towards other dogs there is no way I would take it to a dog beach knowing that there would be off lead dogs there & for it to break itself from its lead... :mad

I am going to put myself in the shoes of the handler of the other dog - I'd mad as heck at you for not having effective control of your dog in the first place. I'd expect you to pay your own vet bill. I'd also be reporting your dog to the council. I did just ring our council about this out of personal curiosity (I hypothesised that it happened in an off leash area) and they advised that the owner of the leashed dog would not be considered at fault even though the leash broke because your dog was not under effective control.

Having said that, I do wish your dog a speedy revovery and have fingers, toes and paws crossed that there are no lasting psychological set backs from this.

Edited by Dxenion

Please do not assume it was a American Pitbull terrier if you are not 100% sure they already get a bad wrap when the majority of people do not even know what a pitbull looks like.

It is unfortunate your dog was on the receiving end but if you could not see your dog and your dog was off lead then the responsibility lays in your hands, you should be insight of your dog at all time and call it back if you see any potential for danger, if you did call your dog back and he/she did not come then it should not be off lead to begin with.... failing to protect your dog is not the dog on leads fault but your own..... sorry to be harsh but you cant assume every dog your dog runs up too will want to play and be well mannerd.

Dxenion - the grehound didn't attack though. Yes - I'd be bloody ropeable that there is an out-of-control dog offlead, and I'd feel differently if the greyhound had been with in striking distance of the other dog (so that it got attacked when the other dog was on lead). However this dog broke from its leash to attack. This means it wasn't properly restraint or the owner couldn't physically handle the dog. Either way, it is a danger to the community and this needs to be addressed.

The OP made a mistake. His dog did not rip another dog apart. His dog harmed nobody.

The dog that broke its lead is very dangerous, and should be declared dangerous. I would not be happy that somebody was walking such a nasty, strong and viscous dog in a public area. A dog like this should be at home, or muzzled.

Petermoore, please do not be put off by advice from people interstate. While you should accept any legal consequences for your own dog not being under control, this other dog needs to be brought to council's attention urgently. A QLD council is likely to act, as this other dog has shown itself to be very dangerous.

I hope your dog has a speedy recovery both mentally and physically from the attack.

I am very sorry, and i know it must of been very upsetting for you but i am inclined to agree with Gussy's mum on this. Perhaps the speed of which your dog came into the other dogs space startled it? If the dog was on a lead to begin with can it be assumed it was an accident the other dog broke lose? Your dog was already lose then started acting aggressively back to the other dog.

The other dog may be social in a calmer situation but was simply stunned by your dogs sudden and quick appearence.

Again i really do hope your dog recovers.

Edit to say i know where i lived Pits are banned. Perhaps it was a pit perhaps it was an American Staffy or a X of some sort.

Edited by german_shep_fan

Guest donatella

If your dog was off lead (in a non signed off lead area) and the other dog was on lead and ran up to the other dog the council will see you as in the wrong.

Perhaps the dog isn't aggressive normally but an off lead dog coming running at it (aggressive or not) may have sparked the attack.

I can't see how you're going to get any favours here when the other people had their dog restrained and your off lead dog ran up to it.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-27.465086,153.076843