Dog Attack

petermoore

Guest donatella

I presume this is a GAP adopted greyhound as only approved GAP greys (wearing the signage collar) are allowed out in public unmuzzled. I do believe it's still against the qld law to have them offlead though.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I presume this is a GAP adopted greyhound as only approved GAP greys (wearing the signage collar) are allowed out in public unmuzzled. I do believe it's still against the qld law to have them offlead though.

There is one that comes to our dog park :D In light of the stupid laws, he is probably not meant to be there, but he is the biggest sweetheart :thumbsup:

In relation to leads...I have a dog aggressive dog and the lead I use for her is actually a horse lead rope. Nice and strong, designed and made to hold a half a ton of horse so shouldn't break on a small German Shepard dog. Owner of the pit bull (or whatever breed it was) should know his dog and had a similar strong lead. I agree both partys are a little at fault...however it is nice to allow one's dogs freedom to run and be dogs, even the nicest dog can 'lose it' we can't read their minds.

Interested to know what happens next...

Guest donatella

Hey I'm not opposed to greys, my grandparents had a housefull of them so I grew up with them I'm just making a few points to the OP they might backfire in their chasing for vet bills. Greys still do get a hard time with muzzles/off lead laws in most states.

There is one that comes to our dog park :D In light of the stupid laws, he is probably not meant to be there, but he is the biggest sweetheart :thumbsup:

OP, I'm really sorry that your dog was attacked - I can't imagine how distressing it must have been for you to see that. I hope that he/she makes a full recovery.

I think that given the seriousness of the attack and the fact that this dog was powerful and determined enough to break the leash to get to your dog, you must report the attack even if it means getting a small fine as your dog was not on leash.

I'm sure you realise now that the leash laws are there for a reason. Just because the area is quiet, or it's really early, or you can't see anyone about or your dog is young/friendly/obedient does not give you any special privileges. For those of us who do the right thing and also like to walk our dogs where it's quiet, early or nobody else is around, it can be scary when large offleash dogs come bounding up to us and frankly, really really annoying.

Hey I'm not opposed to greys, my grandparents had a housefull of them so I grew up with them I'm just making a few points to the OP they might backfire in their chasing for vet bills. Greys still do get a hard time with muzzles/off lead laws in most states.

Nope i didn't say you were :) I have agred with all your posts in this thread, i am simply saying greyhound laws seem silly to me regarding muzzles ect if the indivual dogs don't need them.

In relation to leads...I have a dog aggressive dog and the lead I use for her is actually a horse lead rope. Nice and strong, designed and made to hold a half a ton of horse so shouldn't break on a small German Shepard dog. Owner of the pit bull (or whatever breed it was) should know his dog and had a similar strong lead. I agree both partys are a little at fault...however it is nice to allow one's dogs freedom to run and be dogs, even the nicest dog can 'lose it' we can't read their minds.

our dog also gets walked on a horse lead.... :D she is quite the steam train when on walks... doesn’t care for anything or anyone half the time.. the road is her sanctuary haha

Yes, TBH I feel sorry for owners of DA dogs that try to do the right thing by walking their dogs on lead at quiet times, in on-lead areas, only to be confronted with off leash dogs provoking them.

I try not to let my dog approach on lead dogs (even in an off leash area) and if she did, I would accept responsibility, if there was an incident.

The owner of the other dog has no right to be annoyed because their dog wasn't harmed at all.

??? Do you really think the "right to be annoyed" should be based on which dog bears the harm of an aggressive incident? (And for the purposes of this thread I'm leaving out the "mental harm" component so as not to complicate conversation, however "mental harm" is often not considered in these matters when it can be just as bad if not sometimes worse than the physical harm endured.)

I am not going to venture into the "which one is right" debate here, but do bear in mind that none of us were there other than the OP and that nothing has been stated unequivocally or otherwise that the other dog might have been able to misinterpret the OP's dog's approach.

I am fairly certain that if someone comes charging at/towards me and doesn't look like stopping (not even sure whether that's happened or not), I won't be sitting back and waiting until harm is caused to me before I do something to protect myself.

The overall point I'm trying to make here is that there are details missing and open to interpretation and imagination.

To the OP : I am really sorry for your dog's injuries and I hope your dog recovers from them well and swiftly.

Edited by Erny

What a heated first post :o

I don't blame the OP for that though - his dog was injured, and badly by the sounds of it. Adrenaline and emotion and the potential for some 'right' on his side .... it can lead to being cross and not necessarily without grounding to be so.

ETA: Mind you - I didn't think it was heated. The OP described a stressful event and then asked a question.

Edited by Erny

I have rescued greyhound, she's 6yo and we've had her for almost 3years now. She has a wonderful nature with people, but is often a little unnsure how to act around other dogs. She seems to have learnt from our neighbour's dogs to bark at dogs as they walk past our place, and she does ocassionally take on an aggressive pose to other dogs, but its all show and she has never attempted to bite or chase another dog or cat.

Like all greyhounds she loves to run, we had her at our local beach (in a regional area so it wasn't busy) and she was happily swimming with us until she got spooked by a large wave and took off for a run. She does this occassionally and usually involves a short sprint at top pace in a rough circle back to us. On this ocassion she came across a large pit bull looking dog ( I will call it a pit bull but I am not certain) the pit bull was on a leash but was extremly aggressive toward our dog. Our dog doesn't realise the danger she is in and barks back at the pit bull, the pit bull is on a leash so the situation looks under control, that is until the pit bull breaks its leash grabs our dog and starts trying to kill it. I am not exaggerating the blood and gapping wounds on our dog were horrific, the vet said that a smaller dog would almost certainly have been killed by the attack.

I acknowledge that we contributed to the situation by not having our dog on a leash, but the pit also wasn't adequately restrained, my question is how do I have this dog declared dangerous and am I entitled to ask the owner of the pit bull to pay the vet bill? We are in Qld.

The bolded part has me worried, if you have a dog that 'occassionally' takes on an aggressive pose towards other dogs, why would you have it off leash?

If I had a dog like that I would feel it is my responsibility to protect it considering that it doesn't know how to act around other dogs.

I suppose the best bet is to speak to the council and see what they say but from now on I would be inclined to keep your dog on a leash.

Anyway, I hope that your dog is ok and gets well soon.

What a heated first post :o

I don't blame the OP for that though - his dog was injured, and badly by the sounds of it. Adrenaline and emotion and the potential for some 'right' on his side .... it can lead to being cross and not necessarily without grounding to be so.

ETA: Mind you - I didn't think it was heated. The OP described a stressful event and then asked a question.

ow no no, i ment it struck a heated discussion...

Don't count on it my rotti broke a horse lead gave us quite a giggle.

op i hope your dog is alright

Calling it "horrific" and "nasty" is a bit sensational. It's a dog aggressive dog, no big deal. Many dogs are such that they become aggressive when others approach them, particularly if they are on lead. That's why the owners keep them leashed, that's why if you wish to avoid trouble it's wisest to keep your dog on lead in the presence of other dogs, irrespective of whether or not it's an off leash area.

Unfortunately, if events unfolded as represented by the OP, an accident befell this chap and the leash broke, that happened to me once before as well (actually, it was the collar); for his part it was accidental, for the OP's it was intentional. The risk of letting the dog off leash isn't just one of harm to the dog, it's also financial.

Having said that I am not suggesting anyone "should" keep their dog on a lead, only that if one doesn't this is one of the things that can obviously happen. If it were me I'd cop it sweet and learn a lesson.

Nope, not in Qld. They are allowed to be off lead in designated areas, same as other breeds.

I am going to put myself in the shoes of the handler of the other dog - I'd mad as heck at you for not having effective control of your dog in the first place. I'd expect you to pay your own vet bill. I'd also be reporting your dog to the council. I did just ring our council about this out of personal curiosity (I hypothesised that it happened in an off leash area) and they advised that the owner of the leashed dog would not be considered at fault even though the leash broke because your dog was not under effective control.

Having said that, I do wish your dog a speedy revovery and have fingers, toes and paws crossed that there are no lasting psychological set backs from this.

actually I agree, the greyhound was in the wrong and came off second best, I hope she heals quickly.

I have rescued greyhound, she's 6yo and we've had her for almost 3years now. She has a wonderful nature with people, but is often a little unnsure how to act around other dogs. She seems to have learnt from our neighbour's dogs to bark at dogs as they walk past our place, and she does ocassionally take on an aggressive pose to other dogs, but its all show and she has never attempted to bite or chase another dog or cat.

Like all greyhounds she loves to run, we had her at our local beach (in a regional area so it wasn't busy) and she was happily swimming with us until she got spooked by a large wave and took off for a run. She does this occassionally and usually involves a short sprint at top pace in a rough circle back to us. On this ocassion she came across a large pit bull looking dog ( I will call it a pit bull but I am not certain) the pit bull was on a leash but was extremly aggressive toward our dog. Our dog doesn't realise the danger she is in and barks back at the pit bull, the pit bull is on a leash so the situation looks under control, that is until the pit bull breaks its leash grabs our dog and starts trying to kill it. I am not exaggerating the blood and gapping wounds on our dog were horrific, the vet said that a smaller dog would almost certainly have been killed by the attack.

I acknowledge that we contributed to the situation by not having our dog on a leash, but the pit also wasn't adequately restrained, my question is how do I have this dog declared dangerous and am I entitled to ask the owner of the pit bull to pay the vet bill? We are in Qld.

Terrible. :(

Report it for sure. Your dog may not have been under control (small fine for you), but that other dog sounds extremely dangerous. They should pay your vet bill, and that dog should be declared dangerous.

I really hope your dog is ok. Greyhounds are fragile, and shouldn't be off lead at all unless in an enclosed space.

I agree report it. That dogs sounds very dangerous.

I hope your dog is doing okay :)