Pet Insurance

A-B-C

I've been seriously considering pet insurance for the gang, but alas it's not a cheap affair, so I haven't quite got there yet.

Obvioulsy I'm taking the next step and trying to research the different companies. GAH insurance spiels are so gastly and non user friendly!

So, I'd love it if you would share who you use/rate, and why?

Muchas grasias :)

I use and LOVE Medibank Private. It only costs me $222.58 a year to insure Kyojin, with $500 excess.

I made my first claim 4 months after getting pet insurance when we discovered that Kyojin had luxating patellas. Since May of last year, We have spent approximately $7000-8000 on him. That is for about a squillion consults, xrays, and surgery of his left knee. The actual cost to us has only been the $722.58 - excess and premium. Otherwise, every cent has been returned to us and each claim within 2 weeks, no questions asked.

I use PIA and while they paid my first claim for a skin condition last year they then increased my premium by about $100 when it came to renewal. I now pay around $450 for cover to $15000 and there is a $300 excess. I'm not too happy with them, but haven't gone to the trouble of looking around yet either.

I have pet insurance with Manchester Unity it has changed it name to HCF. it is $35 a month fully covered for the Corgi. Have taken out accident for the other 2 with real insurance, it is $16 each per month and l get 10% back at the end of the year. I may change from HCF when Bonn policy comes due not sure yet. If you have a look at the pet policy most are underwritten by Hollard insurance.

I have pet insurance with Manchester Unity it has changed it name to HCF. it is $35 a month fully covered for the Corgi. Have taken out accident for the other 2 with real insurance, it is $16 each per month and l get 10% back at the end of the year. I may change from HCF when Bonn policy comes due not sure yet. If you have a look at the pet policy most are underwritten by Hollard insurance.

Pet insurance australia were fast to pay out my claim last year. a 1200 bill and with $250 excess. they paid most of the remainder but now only cover 80% which i think the other insurers also do. I'm happy with them. they didn't increase our premium the next year.

I have often said that I wish I were disciplined enought to put what I pay in our (human) Private Health Insurance Fund per month into a "Slush Fund" for our health emergencies, teeth, physio, chiro etc.

My daughter puts money away every month for her horse and when she need something draws on that. "Horsey Money" actually was able to pay for her saddle a few years ago. :)

I really should have "Doggy Money" I think. :D Oh, hang on I do, it's called my bank account! :laugh:

We are with Petplan and have the platinum dog policy for both of ours. Issy was diagnosed with luxating patellas and hip displasia, she has so far had surgery to both her right hip and knee. They have covered all except the excess - $100.00. She was in the emergency centre overnight which they also covered.

They are always helpful and have paid promptly, I think one of the best things about them is their lifetime cover for a condition, up to $20,000.00 a year every year. They don't exclude further treatment but rather continue to cover ongoing conditions which has been a godsend for us. They also cover physio and I think the physio has really helped her recovery. The premiums are pretty hefty as ours are a "select breed" but I think considering the service and the fact that they have paid with no quibbling each time makes them value for money.

The amount they pay does decrease by a percentage after the dogs turn 7 so if you have a very long lived breed that might be worth considering?

Even if we had put away an amount per month there is no way we would have guesstimated enough to cover what has been a sad reality for Issy. She is up to nearly $10,000.00 and at some stage will need her other leg done and possibly a revision of her knee surgery after her leg realigns following the hip work. Maybe you could narrow it down to a couple that you like and then go over the fine print with a fine tooth comb?

I have often said that I wish I were disciplined enought to put what I pay in our (human) Private Health Insurance Fund per month into a "Slush Fund" for our health emergencies, teeth, physio, chiro etc.

My daughter puts money away every month for her horse and when she need something draws on that. "Horsey Money" actually was able to pay for her saddle a few years ago. :)

I really should have "Doggy Money" I think. :D Oh, hang on I do, it's called my bank account! :laugh:

snap :thumbsup::rofl: :rofl: same sort of money i have.... although our dearest vet bill was 4k for the snake bite... in 20 years of owning dogs... the first major one... works out at cents per year... had we not had some money (it was just luck at the right time of year i did), i would not have hesitated to put on a cc.

I use PIA and while they paid my first claim for a skin condition last year they then increased my premium by about $100 when it came to renewal. I now pay around $450 for cover to $15000 and there is a $300 excess. I'm not too happy with them, but haven't gone to the trouble of looking around yet either.

Any new insurance will exclude the skin condition ( even if it disappears fir years then comes back) so it might not be worth changing.

To the OP , I'm with petplan. They cover conditions for life, while many only cover it for the first year. This can make a huge difference.

Bear in mind that any previous conditions will be excluded, even if they're not ongoing (eg skin condition s fee years ago would most likely be excluded).

I recently researched all the insurances companies and ended up with PetPlan based on the "lifetime" cover vs "one year" cover for conditions. Everyone else seems to be underwitten by Holland whereas I think PetPlan are Allianz.

Doh, knew that there was something else I was worried about... age... Bron (BM X) is now 8. A very fit and healthy 8, but 8 nonetheless. Is it worth insuring him or is there every chance that the companies will deny any claim due to age?

My insurance has paid over $5000 - and my dogs aren't elderly or sickly. If I had saved I wouldn't have been able to cover the costs with those savings. Most things are covered, but then I've had them covered from day 1. You can't expect insurance to cover everything for an elderly dog if you're insuring them for the first time.

My insurance has paid over $5000 - and my dogs aren't elderly or sickly. If I had saved I wouldn't have been able to cover the costs with those savings. Most things are covered, but then I've had them covered from day 1. You can't expect insurance to cover everything for an elderly dog if you're insuring them for the first time.

I wasn't meaning that I expected them to cover everything etc, just worried that it would be an excuse for them to knock back everything (thus waste my money). Was pet insurance even around 8 years ago??? If it was, it was far from normal.

TBH I've always been more than willing to foot the bill myself. Thesedays it seems that vet's prices are being plumped up nicely thanks to insurance becoming more common and 'real' people not actually having to foot the bill... thus they are becoming less and less affordable. :(