My Dog Snapped At My Childs Face.

GardenGnome

I am not sure if this belongs in here, sorry if it is in the wrong place.

This afternoon my partner, child and I were out in the backyard just relaxing with our Dog (nearly 3yrs). She was lying in the grass and my son (nearly 5yrs(oops, nearly 5 not nearly 4!)) went up to her and layed across her back to give her a cuddle, she yelped out loudly then turned and snapped a couple of time right at his face. He pulled away as she was doing it so I am not sure if she would have got his face otherwise. It really seemed she was just warning him to back off but still I am so worried about it. He has layed across her for cuddles many times before and she has been fine with it but she had only been sterilized about 3 weeks ago and I believe her belly must still tender. She did act very sorry after but with my son being so young and A baby on the way I am scared of that snap maybe one day being a bite.

My partner says there is no way we are 'getting rid of her' for an accident but if it ever progressed then yes. But what if next time is a bite :/

Any advice would be great right now :( I have friends who are very pro 'the moment a dog does anything wrong' get rid of it and then my partner and some family who are more lenient and try to help work things out, so I am getting very conflicting things about what should and shouldn't be done.

Edited by ermm

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like a pain reaction.

Your dog WARNED your son that his behaviour hurt her. Count your blessings.

She's not a pillow and he's getting bigger all the time. Stop this behaviour now.

And thank your dog for having both excellent bite inhibition and would appear, up to now, to be a high degree of tolerance.

There will not be a bite if you ensure that your son behaves more appropriately to your dog and that you supervise them or separate them when you can't be around.

She's not a pillow and he's getting bigger all the time. Stop this behaviour now.

And thank your dog for having both excellent bite inhibition and would appear, up to now, to be a high degree of tolerance.

There will not be a bite if you ensure that your son behaves more appropriately to your dog and that you supervise them or separate them when you can't be around.

Very much agree with this post.

IMO plenty of dogs wouldn't appreciate being laid on top of. Your son could have hurt her when he laid on her or she could have given more subtle warnings she didn't like it previously that you didn't necessarily notice. I'd be teaching your son how to interact with her more appropriately, IMO at four he is definitely old enough to learn how he should and shouldn't behave around the dog.

If you are really worried, get a behaviourist in to assess her and give you all pointers on how to avoid a similar situation.

Your dog yelped, it may well have been from pain.

I am not one to expect dogs to simply bear everything that is dished out to them by children, I would be enforcing some rules upon your child, and taking the dog for a check up a the Vet.

If she yelped she is probably sore. If you were sore how would you feel about someone laying on you?I would have her checked by the vet for any problems first to determine if she is still tender from the desexing or has some other problem.

She probably gave warnings before she snapped but as these can happen very quickly they are easy to miss if you don't know what you are looking for. The snapping is a warning, but won't necessarily escalate to a bite unless you let it by continuing to let you son cause discomfort to the dog.

Vet first, behaviouralist second if she is given a clean bill of health

Perfectly written.

I couldn't unequivocally or formally advise you on this without seeing the dog to assess and for that I ask that you receive this as my disclaimer, but do take into account that a dog's hands is its mouth. By the sounds of it, your dog had every 'right' to say "hey! watch it!! that hurts!!" and did well to avoid the contact of her teeth on your son. I think that is a big plus and shows harm was purposefully avoided. A good sign - a dog that wants to avoid doing injury.

If you don't want the risk of any accident occurring ever or ever .... don't own a dog at all. For that matter, don't own a cat; don't cross the road; don't drive a car; etc. etc. if you know what I mean.

However, YOU need to protect your dog as much as it is your obligation to protect your child and it would have been good if you could have made sure that your son didn't lay on your dog so recently after she'd had the surgery. But then, we're all great experts in hindsight and sometimes we do slip up - but when those things happen it pulls us back up again and we become aware that we need to keep our socks hiked up.

If you really would like to have more expert opinion, engage the services of an expert to come assess your dog and give his/her opinion.

ETA: Gosh - there were no replies at the time I started writing this post. I'm either very slow at typing or everyone is really fast. Or both. But I see we're all pretty much saying the same thing. IE That we'd appreciate a dog who demonstrates excellent bite inhibition.

Edited by Erny

couldn't agree more

teach your kid to respect the dog a lot more, she is a living creature not a pillow.

couldn't agree more

teach your kid to respect the dog a lot more, she is a living creature not a pillow.

Some one needs to point that out to my dall leo......he absolutely encourages the 14 yo and the other dogs to form a huge untidy pile on the couch!

Thank you for replies everyone.

Yes, I told my son strait away that he must stop lying on her and he agreed and told me "she did that because she got very hurt from it, and I wont do it again" I think I definitely missed her subtle hints of not liking it anymore. In the past when he has done it she seemed so happy, licked him then layed on top of him all happy while he laughs, but yes he is getting bigger and I should have said so before.

She really is one of the most tolerant dogs I have ever met but I also don't believe she should have to be tolerant to everything, I think I was just really shocked and scared. We always talk to our son about being gentle and how she's our family and to watch her body/ her telling us things and we supervise.

ETA: Haha, everyone types so fast there were more replies once I'd posted. I will call up our vet first thing tomorrow so they can check and also look at a professional dog behavior person. And thanks about mentioning the fact that yes she did show restraint, I saw she did but my panic got the best of me ( plus conflicting family/friends views)

Edited by ermm

couldn't agree more

Agree with this!

Yes, I told my son strait away that he must stop lying on her and he agreed and told me "she did that because she got very hurt from it, and I wont do it again" I think I definitely missed her subtle hints of not liking it anymore. In the past when he has done it she seemed so happy, licked him then layed on top of him all happy while he laughs, but yes he is getting bigger and I should have said so before.

You let her LIE on top of your four year old?? I'd be stopping that pretty darn quick too...

View Postermm, on 14 February 2012 - 05:31 PM, said:

You let her LIE on top of your four year old?? I'd be stopping that pretty darn quick too...

As they were playing I didn't think there was harm in it?

Licking doesn't always mean good things - it can be a sign of stress and a way to say stop. I suggest you look up calming signals on this forum - it should help you recognize when your dog is telling your boy that he needs space.

Some dogs tolerate being jumped on - most don't.

Perfectly written.

Agree 100% with this.