Camera Suggestions

PRADA68

I have a very generous relative that wishes to buy me my first DSLR and I was wondering what people would suggest here on the forum. It will be primarily used for dog photos some action shots etc.

I also wish to do some good macro work with flowers and industrial stuff. So if you can make a good suggestion I would appreciate it budget is probably 1,000. Canons are one of my top choices but I need the inside stuff on them to make a final decision.

Lucky you having such a generous relative, can't really steer you in any particular direction I have a Sony so don't know much about cannon. I do regret going with Sony, but now I have well over $5,000 worth of gear so its very expensive to change now.

A few of my friends have brought the new cameras that have interchangeable lenses but are way smaller then lugging around a very heavy DSLR. One of them brought a Panasonic Lumix GX1

Good luck in your search and you must post the photos when you get your new camera

I have a sony as well.

I'm going to buy a Sony A55 body soon as my A230 is playing up (I've had it or three years)

Not too keen on Canon, personally. Had one and lasted about 18 months.

My best friend has a Nikon and she's really no happy with the photo qaulity, she always says mine are heaps better.

I still have my Canon 350D, still works like a dream, so they can last, but I reckon if you stick to Canon or Nikon you can't go wrong

If you want to do macro then you will need a macro lens, but combined with a body that might cost more than $1000, but to be honest I haven't looked much into macro lenses, the only one I have looked at is close enough to $1000. If you can't afford a macro lens you could always save up for one later.

Huga - your photos are divine.

I also have the 50mm 1.8 - I am really enjoying it. I've only had it four days and am having so much fun.

I suggest checking out a Nikon D3100 - by all accounts it is a great starter DSLR. You will be able to find some good deals online if you're willing to go that path.

I'd be wary of the Panasonic Lumix range - I had a G10, and while it's a great little camera, the lenses are ferociously expensive. That's what led me to change, to purchase a new set of average lenses would have cost me more than my new kit and woulnd't have upgraded the quality to the same extent. Plus their lens range is considerably smaller that those of Nikon or Canon - and you can't use the other interchangeable lenses (Sigma/Tamron/etc)

I love my Canon 7D, particularly when combined with my Tamron macro lens :D I went with Canon as it felt better in my hand (my orginal 350D) and the buttons seemed more intuative. My Dad visted at christmas with his new Nikon and everything was in the wrong place :laugh:

The 7D may be a bit too much for your first DSLR, but the macro lens I have is one of the cheaper ones, but I love how it performs. Price from B&H below :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/629846-REG/Tamron_AFG005C700_G005_SP_AF60mm_f_2_0.html

Examples from the lens are in my 500px link in my signature (click and then choose macro photography)

• 2 weeks later...