Rejecting Puppy

Lugeanjaam

Before I begin I know how totally irresponsible the actions of this idiot owner is and I have already very clearly said my piece. I am now very concerned about this poor girl and her pup:(. To be honest I am horrified as she is just a baby herself!!

My ex husband just called to say that his 7month old Tenterfield terrier has just given birth to one puppy. The bitch has zero interest in the pup and will not let it suckle or even come near her. She will not lick it and she is very stressed. Is she just too young? Will instinct eventually kick on or is this poor little girl so confused that she will reject her baby? What can he do to help mum accept the puppy and if they is just not going to happen what needs to be done as far as hand raising? I have told him to get her to a vet as he has no idea what to do. He did not even know that she was pregnant so is in no way prepared.

Any advice much appreciated.

The bitch may have other pups stuck, and be still in labour!! Bitches often don't settle and feed pups until they have finished whelping ...

being so young, she possibly is not at all sure what's happening , poor little girl.

She needs to be seen by a vet now ... before it's too late, and she ends up with big problems :(

Vet has advised him for wait for another hour and she if she is still not interested or does not settle to bring them on. The father is another Tentie, also my ex's dog. The both run together and apparently he was aware that she had had her first heat so why he is suprised I will never understand!

this is why we need desexing contracts, and mandatory desexing for all those used for show/breeding purposes, etc.

get the bitch to a vet, and then try and kidnap her and the pup (if its lucky enough to survive), if the bitch has finished its labour and still doesn't know what to do, hand rearing will be the only way. but get the vet to advise if the bitch has finished or not, and give advice. Please tell me he's not a registered breeder?

edited to add, thank god he got some veterinary advice! hope all goes well for the baby mama and her pup.

Edited by tibbiesby2

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Yes they went to the vet. Vet confirmed that there are no more puppies. Mum is still not interested in the baby but will tolerate being asked to lie down whilst baby suckles. The first chance she gets though she leaves the bed and goes to sleep with the cat!

No he is not a registered breeder. He has a male and a female Tentie that I assume he'believed were too young to mate. He got a hell of a shock this morning when she whelped. He plans to put her on her mum every couple of hours with the hope that her instincts will kick in and she can at least get some colostrum.

The puppy is a little girl and he says she is quite big, healthy and active. I have told him that if she needs hand rearing she can come here. I have never reared a puppy before but I have raised plenty of orphan kittens so hopefully I have an idea of the fundamentals.

Again thanks for the input, I have passed it all onto him and I will update her progress as I hear anything.

The mum also needs to be confined by a puppy pen around the whelping box. Since she is so young, it may take a few days for the mother instinct to kick in but if she has the choice of just ignoring and doing what she wants, she will.

Good luck.

I've had girls reject their pups at first and then get into a routine of cleaning and feeding. No guarantees. But so long as she is tolerating the pup, I'd say, keep at it. Her maternal instincts may kick in. That would be the best solution for the pup, and the easiest for your X. I'd also recommend speying the mum when nursing is done, probably at around week six. That will make sure it doesn't happen again.