Interesting Video Of Dogs 100 Years Ago And Today

Janba

Some one posted a link to this video on FB. While I am not necessarily agreeing with all of it, it is interesting from the point of view of how some of the breeds have changed.

Edited by Janba

Im not going to comment on any particular breed. My breed is one that is rarer, and so there for is still very like that of its distant ancestors that have been guarding the monasteries of Tibet for thousands of years, although I do sometimes see a tendency within the breed to reward heavier coated animals sometimes, despite what it says in our breed standard.

I believe what is rewarded in the show ring, will ultimately be the type that is popularly bred. That then filters down to the non-shown dogs in popularity, etc. So the key is all the wonderful, hard-working judges. For what they put up will ultimately be where the breed is going. There are very few breeders that will breed against the type that is successful in the show ring, for no reward. Also a part of that is that the dogs that win are meant to be the most like the breed standard - whose interpretation is often up for fierce debate and controversy, so therefore you would think the dogs that are winning would be examples closest to that standard.

I have never had any problems with people who show and breed for what wins in the show ring, so long as the dog is healthy. Showing is in essence a sport like any of the other disciplines and if that is what people love doing. so be it.

I do sometimes wonder at the changes to dogs over the past 100 or so years and what that benefits the original purpose. For example why does teasing up an Old English Sheepdogs head and top line aid in the purpose of herding? I am sure no farmer teases his dogs coat before working it.

ETA One of my breeds is another example. Why is it almost impossible to win in the breed ring with anything but a classically marked dog when the breed standard simply says the solid colour must predominate and there is no mention of markings?

ETA the standard actually says the

In each case the basic body colour must predominate and be the background colour of the dog
Edited by Janba

Lovely video.

Unfortunately, photos seem to be the only acceptable way to question breeding for extreme conformation on DOL. Don't expect tolerance if you go further.

I was thrown off the Breeders Forum shortly after questioning the Peke who won at Westminster and the system behind going for such extremes. I was given no warning or explanation, and have sent three emails to list administrators and posted a question on Forum Suggestions/Help/Messages. No one will tell me why I was thrown out. I understand how much show people invest in creating their winning dogs, and am not surprised to get vituperation in response to questioning the foundations of the show system. But the discussion is badly needed. So sad that it is silenced.

No doubt this post will be removed.

SO, are the images used typical? It is easy to find the most extremes of anything and push it as being the norm but is it really. Is the GSD shown on the latest version of PDE typical of what we see every day?? Far from it, the images are used for shock value and they work.

I shudder to think what future generations will think of Australians if they continually see videos of Julia Gillard as representative, do we all sound like that?

Very interesting. I know I prefer the older type in every single one.

Me too, although in fairness some of the 'extremeness' looks to be due to the way the coats have been groomed.

Some of the allegedly healthy dogs look anything but.

I agree. You can cultivate a Show coat or have a Pet coat. Who is to say that the photo of the old "Old English Sheepdog" was not an animal that had been tended to with a pair of shears?

I know that my pet Lhaso Apso never managed a long drappy coat as he lived outdoors during the day and I did not know how to groom him properly without breakage.

Coat management and care and diet have changed dramatically over the years, when you look at some older photos and videos of show dogs it is very obvious, now even the shorter coats are groomed to perfection, nothing steps foot in the ring till it has been blasted with the dryer.

My breed hasn't changed much. We add a tail now and our sillhouette varies country to country.

We are practically one of the healthiest breeds out there thank goodness.

I too prefer the look of some of the older versions of some breeds.

BB

SO, are the images used typical? It is easy to find the most extremes of anything and push it as being the norm but is it really. Is the GSD shown on the latest version of PDE typical of what we see every day?? Far from it, the images are used for shock value and they work.

I shudder to think what future generations will think of Australians if they continually see videos of Julia Gillard as representative, do we all sound like that?

I recently attended a dog show and what I saw as far as GSD's went were appalling. So I say yes the dogs in PDE are representative of the breed today

I recently attended a dog show and what I saw as far as GSD's went were appalling. So I say yes the dogs in PDE are representative of the breed today

I have to say that while this may not be "typical", most of the GSD's I have seen over the last few years have looked like that.