Easing The Itchies

I don't know anything about calendula oil but if it's anything like lavendar oil, or oil of cloves, it would be a super concentrate and you'd want to dilute it along the lines of 1/2 to 1/4 teaspoon oil to 1 litre of water (in a misting bottle).

some of the oils can be quite corrosive in their neat (undiluted) form.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't find it I can arrange to send you some up via post - or perhaps ask my local Health Food Store to send it. The Health Food Store I use is in Berwick, Victoria. Details are on my website (look to the left of any page) www.ProK9.com.au. They don't have a website .... lol,she doesn't need one - She is popular and flat out busy as it is.

Thank you Erny!

I think I've been to most of the health food stores in the CBD with no luck :(

Trying one more shop tonight and if they do not stock it, internet purchase it will be! Either I'll use the store you recommended Erny, or this site:

http://worldpartea.com/shop/product/403.html

This sounds like the right stuff :D. I was actually speaking with Kerry who is the person behind "World Par Tea" which is the site for the link you put up, fbaudry. I rang her only to check on one or two things before I could come back to you and confirm with a good degree of confidence that you were on the right track.

Anyway, I ended up telling her how much good this Tea was being put to in the dog world and the successes I alone have had using it on my boy, let alone what others were also experiencing.

Kerry was so delighted to hear that people such as myself and others have had a good deal of success with its use and has told me that if I can pass on your name and address, she'll send you a packet to try, free of charge!!

So, if you'd like to email me at Pro-K9 and provide me with this info, I'll pass it on to her for you.

I thought that was a tremendous gesture on her part and for those who don't have convenient access to a Health Food Store that sells the product, she does ship all around Australia.

Edited by Erny

We use cold pressed coconut oil from health food store. 1tsp on their food every night (12kg dog), and no longer have grass rashes and itchies.

Not to mention that the dogs really like it. If the skin is really dry, you can rub the oil on their skin as a moisturiser.

It has helped us.

MnDM

http://www.herbalsupplies.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=41&Itemid=110

I got mine - loose petal tea not tea bags from my local health food shop that also sells all sorts of slimmers powders - urk.

It was next to the cammomile tea. Hilda Hermes brand.

The website has a how to find a shop link. Or you can ask your fave shop to get it in if they have any of her other stuff.

Ok the how to find a shop link seems to be broken, so maybe phone her up or send an email.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

here comes the silly question...

where can one purchase calendula tea in Sydney? I've been looking around shops in the CBD and I'm yet to come accross some :o

Halth food stores, haven't been in one that doesn't stock it :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have just registered with this forum as I have a very allergic dog on my hands and i'm looking for some suggestions other than expensive nasty vet medications. My boy is a 4 year old Cavalier King Charles. He has suffered from allergies since he was a pup. He has a known food allergy (chicken and possibly beef) along with an allergy to fleas and certain grasses, particularly when they are in seed, plus other things i'm sure. We had everything nicely under control until this nasty wet summer that we've had and now he has been itchy since before Christmas. I feel terrible that I can't do anything to help him :( The only time he has had any relief has been when i've taken him up to the vet for a Cortisone injection followed by a round of tablets. We are currently trying antihistamines but they have had zero effect. The vet has suggested something called "Atopica" which is an ongoing treatment but unfortunately i'm not a millionaire so can't afford this type of lengthy treatment.

He already takes fish oil daily and has for a few years now. I have thought about trying Evening Primrose oil but when I asked the vet he didn't like the idea as it can be toxic to dogs (apparently). Has anyone used Evening Primrose oil and if so what dosage did you use? I have looked on the internet but have found conflicting info and now that the vet told me it's toxic i'm very hesitant.

Basically I am convinced that there must be something else I can do for him other than commit to a lifetime of injections and tablets. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I use 5 capsules of EPO for my dog who weighs 33kgs a day. Dermatologist told me to start using them 20 months go. My dog s still alive and well lol. I suggest never letting your dog eat anything with wheat, corn or preservatives. Weekly bathes in QV wash help my allergy dog too. I would seriously borrow the money and see a dermatologist.

PS everything to do with allergies is lifelong. What antihistamines have you tried? My dog takes 2 Zyrtec ( I use the geneic Zep Allergy) morning and 2 at night.

Edited by Mason_Gibbs

I use 5 capsules of EPO for my dog who weighs 33kgs a day. Dermatologist told me to start using them 20 months go. My dog s still alive and well lol. I suggest never letting your dog eat anything with wheat, corn or preservatives. Weekly bathes in QV wash help my allergy dog too. I would seriously borrow the money and see a dermatologist.

PS everything to do with allergies is lifelong. What antihistamines have you tried? My dog takes 2 Zyrtec ( I use the geneic Zep Allergy) morning and 2 at night.

Thanks for the reply. I was a bit surprised when the vet refused to advise me on a dosage for the Evening Primrose. Makes me wonder if he's just worried that it will have some effect meaning he won't get as much business from me (i'm sceptical of some vets motives as you can tell). I might start him off on one capsule a day. Do you just use the soft gel capsules that you can purchase from the chemist (ie. 1000mg)?

The antihistamines I have tried were ones prescribed by the vet (Chlorpheniramine). When I called him for advice yesterday on whether to try any different ones he didn't seem to think it would work (in other words if one doesn't work then none of them will) but the info I have come across recommends trying different ones. Tough to get good advice sometimes! I think i'll give some different ones a go regardless of what he says.

I have just read an article about the merits of Coconut oil in animals with skin conditions and I think I might try that next time they have a flare up. The people who have used it rave about its effectiveness. I have previously tried EPO and Fish oils without a great deal of success

I would find a new vet

Yeah i'm planning too. The vet clinic that I go to has recently changed hands and is now part of a chain so there is a different vet everytime I go there (which also seems to result in getting contradictory advice each time). My dog and I are moving to the US in a couple of months anyway so we'll find a new one once we are settled. Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

So how strong does the Calendula need to be Erny???? Sorry to hijack the thread :S but our RR girl has feet that smell like cornchips & such an itchy muzzle!! Dietry changes are in the pipeline, so I'd like to ease her itching too :)