What Do Pet Behaviorists Do?

Guest donatella

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dontatella, you could simply be dealing with poor temperament.

"Hyperactive" dogs do exist. Poms are an active breed but they (as far as I know) are meant to have an off switch.

Option B is that you simply aren't giving her enough exercise? How far/often is she walked. When was the last time she had a really good offlead blat? The dogs at your Mums have company 24/7 and access outside?

FYI, Maltese are not Terriers.

I think by reading all this that perhaps I'm not giving her enough exercise. Shes not allowed off lead belts because she has crap recall and I don't like dog parks because shes so little (although I could find a small dog park I guess).

The dogs at mums have a doggy door so can get in and out 24/7 and have each other but aren't besties, the 2 boys have never really liked each other and the oldest tenty is now 16 so spends most her time downstairs as she can't climb the stairs. But I guess it's still company. Mum works 7-1pm 4 days a week other then that they're home alone.

Oh I thought it was a Maltese terrier (see told ya im stoopid)

In regards to walking as well, Lucy has no manners, she barks at dogs behind fences, dogs walking past, leaves that look like dogs, she sends the entire neighbourhood off barking.

You're not stupid! They are not be terriers but I remember them being called Maltese Terriers when I was a kid and if you google the name it looks like they still are in some places.

Dontatella, you could simply be dealing with poor temperament.

"Hyperactive" dogs do exist. Poms are an active breed but they (as far as I know) are meant to have an off switch.

Option B is that you simply aren't giving her enough exercise? How far/often is she walked. When was the last time she had a really good offlead blat? The dogs at your Mums have company 24/7 and access outside?

FYI, Maltese are not Terriers.

I think by reading all this that perhaps I'm not giving her enough exercise. Shes not allowed off lead belts because she has crap recall and I don't like dog parks because shes so little (although I could find a small dog park I guess).

The dogs at mums have a doggy door so can get in and out 24/7 and have each other but aren't besties, the 2 boys have never really liked each other and the oldest tenty is now 16 so spends most her time downstairs as she can't climb the stairs. But I guess it's still company. Mum works 7-1pm 4 days a week other then that they're home alone.

Oh I thought it was a Maltese terrier (see told ya im stoopid)

In regards to walking as well, Lucy has no manners, she barks at dogs behind fences, dogs walking past, leaves that look like dogs, she sends the entire neighbourhood off barking.

You're not stupid! They are not be terriers but I remember them being called Maltese Terriers when I was a kid and if you google the name it looks like they still are in some places.

Yeah I'm the same - I've seen them written down as Maltese terriers so often! Good to know they're not haha :D

Guest lavendergirl

There are plenty of dog parks in Brisbane with separate areas for small dogs. But why do they make the small dog areas so boring? The larger areas usually have agility equipment but the smaller areas just have grass.

I also think we remember our past dogs as the older version and "forget" about some of their challenges when they were young. It is hard but we have to learn to minimise factors that can set them off such as when you go out and come home at night etc. Having someone come in and visually see her and your home will definately help as they come in with trainers eyes and not owners eyes

All the best with your behaviourist appointment! I'm sure it will be extremely valuable and help you iron out the few issues you have with your little bundle of fluff.

I am not sure you've looked into the protocol for relaxation? I've attached a link to it...

It is a bit of hard work to start with but I've found it really pays off to teach a more "highly strung" dog how to relax and do nothing.

http://dogscouts.org/Protocol_for_relaxation.html

Guest donatella

Thank you everyone for the advice and links!

I have emailed the recommended trainer so hopefully I hear back shortly to book an appointment.

I'm away at the moment but will read all those links more thoroughly when I get home.

Not good news from mum today though, she got to mums downstairs phone cord and chewed it in half (most likely mums fault for leaving it down) but this is ridiculous she's never been this bad (maybe she's acting up as this is the longest I've been away from her and she's quite bonded to me solely). My brother has very expensive aquarium tanks downstairs as well and he threatened me this afternoon that id have a dead dog if she chewed those cords (yes he is a moron). I don't own a crate so the next safest place for all when noone is home is outside, she has grass, an undercover area and a big garden to find things to chew in there.

Argh Lucy, not funny!!

I have emailed the recommended trainer so hopefully I hear back shortly to book an appointment.

I'm away at the moment but will read all those links more thoroughly when I get home.

Not good news from mum today though, she got to mums downstairs phone cord and chewed it in half (most likely mums fault for leaving it down) but this is ridiculous she's never been this bad (maybe she's acting up as this is the longest I've been away from her and she's quite bonded to me solely). My brother has very expensive aquarium tanks downstairs as well and he threatened me this afternoon that id have a dead dog if she chewed those cords (yes he is a moron). I don't own a crate so the next safest place for all when noone is home is outside, she has grass, an undercover area and a big garden to find things to chew in there.

Argh Lucy, not funny!!

it's your Mother's house but you blame her for leaving her own telephone cord down? Do you have any idea how much aquariums cost and how fragile they can be? I'd be threatening your dog too. You knew Lucy was destructive, you should have bought a crate for her before she went to your Mum's so Lucy could have been better managed.

One of my dogs is 7 and is only just getting "inside the house alone" privileges and only for a few hours at a time. When he was about 4 he was still chewing things (cords, remotes, DVDs). So we put him outside if he was unsupervised, even if we were just having a shower.

Guest donatella

Argh Lucy, not funny!!

it's your Mother's house but you blame her for leaving her own telephone cord down? Do you have any idea how much aquariums cost and how fragile they can be? I'd be threatening your dog too. You knew Lucy was destructive, you should have bought a crate for her before she went to your Mum's so Lucy could have been better managed.

Actually she's stayed there at least 5 other times and NEVER destroyed anything at mums. She sleeps on mums bed and has never been a problem therefore I have never had the need to contain her.

I love how you always jump to the worst conclusion first without getting

a full set of facts first. Always looking for the worst in someone.

Guest donatella

One of my dogs is 7 and is only just getting "inside the house alone" privileges and only for a few hours at a time. When he was about 4 he was still chewing things (cords, remotes, DVDs). So we put him outside if he was unsupervised, even if we were just having a shower.

Yeah I told mum to put her outside today while shes at work, wont hurt her, there's plenty of shade and the other 3 dogs will be put outside as well so they're all together.

The little bugger though, stays at mums all the time and never plays up, mum is even a smart arse about how well behaved she is at her house, well that backfired!!

Actually she's stayed there at least 5 other times and NEVER destroyed anything at mums. She sleeps on mums bed and has never been a problem therefore I have never had the need to contain her.

There's obviously something going on there if she's getting worse over time, so you're doing the right thing by seeing a Behaviorist :thumbsup:

I've haven't had any problems with any of my dogs to have a need for a Behaviorist however I've only ever heard great things about this particular Behaviorist (I have met her and she's very approachable :) ). Please let us know how you get on

Edited by gsdog2

Guest donatella

There's obviously something going on there if she's getting worse over time, so you're doing the right thing by seeing a Behavioris :thumbsup:

I've haven't had any problems with any of my dogs to have a need for a Behaviorist however I've only ever heard great things about this particular Behaviorist (I have met her and she's very approachable :) ). Please let us know how you get on ;)

Thank you and I agree :)

I actually think the destruction at mums might be a bit of separation anxiety from me as this is the longest I've been away from her and she's normally so good at mums (and I mean gets out of the car and pulls so hard on the lead trying to get inside, she knows where we're going when I say we're going to mums house). Anyway, she won't be allowed in her house without anyone home now for safety reasons (i just hope to god she doesn't dig her way under the fence eek). Can't wait to meet the trainer :)

Argh Lucy, not funny!!

You are on here complaining that your dog is destructive, and that you need help.

So what is it? does she destroy things or not?

If she cannot be trusted to not chew cords she needs to be confined for her own safety at least, it really isn't that hard.

Guest donatella

Argh Lucy, not funny!!

You are on here complaining that your dog is destructive, and that you need help.

If she cannot be trusted to not chew cords she needs to be confined for her own safety at least, it really isn't that hard.

I'm not here for an argument or to be accused and told I need to lock her up when she previously has been ok staying with my mother (and she has been a chewer from the day I got her).

I have already stated she is outside today while my mother is at work so I'm not sure of your point.

Guest donatella

Argh Lucy, not funny!!

I'm not here for an argument or to be accused and told I need to lock her up when she previously has been ok staying with my mother (and she has been a chewer from the day I got her).

I have already stated she is outside today while my mother is at work so I'm not sure of your point.

Donatella, what do you think a behaviourist is going to tell you? Do you seriously think they wont recommend confining your dog? Dog training is not magic, it's common sense. If you want to see a behaviourist then do so, it appears to me that this whole thread is simply fishing for approval which is really unnecessary.

I'd think Crisovars point is exactly as stated...

I think seeking the advice of a behaviorist is a good idea. An outside perspective can often help. She may be a more stressy dog than you realise. The framework a behaviorist can provide may be just what you need. The other thing to consider is that she may have an anxiety disorder that she channels into unwanted displacement behaviours. A vet recently told me that one in five dogs has this type of problem. This can be medical but the behaviorist should be able to point you in the right direction. As long as they are positive in their approach (no shock collars,dominance theory or phyical punishment).