Historical Pictures Of Dogs

Janba

Thanks for posting the links Janba, it's fascinating viewing. :)

I was wondering at the variation in the early Boxers, but it makes sense upon further reading. These dogs were part of the foundation of the breed ('Flock St Salvator' is apparently the 14th dog in the German 'family tree' of Boxers). I'm looking forward to checking out the history of some other breeds (after I've exhausted the Boxer photos/info ;)).

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was wondering at the variation in the early Boxers, but it makes sense upon further reading. These dogs were part of the foundation of the breed ('Flock St Salvator' is apparently the 14th dog in the German 'family tree' of Boxers). I'm looking forward to checking out the history of some other breeds (after I've exhausted the Boxer photos/info ;)).

The numbers don't seem to follow a chronological order. Maybe a boxer person will know more.

FLOCK ST SALVATOR No.14

Dog - March 1894 (Light Fawn)

Sire - Box St Salvator No.59 (Light Fawn)

Dam - Mary von Nymphenburg No.65

I tried this link a few times this afternoon but the pc I was on kept freezing each time. I hope to try it again on a different pc tomorrow.

I'm having the same problem as Anne. :(

Try the view by page instead of view all link I first posted. There are 50 pages

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v485/Pietoro/Dog%20Breed%20Historical%20Pictures/?start=0

That's done it! Thanks.

No Cavaliers. :(

I'm sure I saw a Cav or perhaps it was just a KC?

I tried this link a few times this afternoon but the pc I was on kept freezing each time. I hope to try it again on a different pc tomorrow.

Try the view by page instead of view all link I first posted. There are 50 pages

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v485/Pietoro/Dog%20Breed%20Historical%20Pictures/?start=0

That's done it! Thanks.

YES! Found on page 2 bottom middle.

The dog on the tea chest (?) looks very King Charles as does the Black and Tan, but...the Blenheim opposite the blk & tan is very Cavalier in type.

Again, a pencil sketch so left to interpretation. Would make a lovely print. :)

The numbers don't seem to follow a chronological order. Maybe a boxer person will know more.

FLOCK ST SALVATOR No.14

Well, maybe a more knowledgable boxer person than me I'm afraid! :laugh:

I had a little look around to see if I could work out the reasoning behind the numbers to no avail. The American Boxer Club website does give an overview of the breeds foundations in Germany here: My link

It doesn't explain the numbering system though. Of interest, according to them, is that no photos exist of FLOCK ST SALVATOR. So whether the picture on the historical website is legitimate or not, who knows? As Sheridan said earlier, she's seen it before, labelled as a Pitbull. Sorry I can't shed any light on anything. :o

That's done it! Thanks.

Probably because the cavalier as a seperate breed didn't happen till the late 1920s

Couldn't find any border collies ??

Probably because they are a relatively late arrival to KC registration and the show scene. Australia recognised them as show dogs in the early 60s, UK in the 70s and US in the 90s.

Google Old Hemp - he is considered to be the founding sire of the modern border collie a working dog.

That's done it! Thanks.

YES! Found on page 2 bottom middle.

The dog on the tea chest (?) looks very King Charles as does the Black and Tan, but...the Blenheim opposite the blk & tan is very Cavalier in type.

Again, a pencil sketch so left to interpretation. Would make a lovely print. :)

There were no Cavalier King Charles Spaniels until 1928 - there was simply no breed. There are lots of King Charles Spaniels in those photos

No Cavvies, no Border Collies .... a lot of breeds with cropped ears and docked tails, and a lot of dogs with different features - dogs that today's judges might not give a second glance.

It is really very interesting when you look at a collection of photos like this.

Souff

FLOCK ST SALVATOR No.14

I am not really sure, but I wonder if it was their stud book number - each dog would have been c atalogued as he applied, so the numbers would not be in dob order, or any particular order. Probably says somewhere

I am not really sure, but I wonder if it was their stud book number - each dog would have been c atalogued as he applied, so the numbers would not be in dob order, or any particular order. Probably says somewhere

That's how it worked with the early ISDS Border Collies but I wasn't sure about Boxers. Breed development and registry development is fascinating.

Here is an old german photo of my mum, her brother, and their very proud German Shepherd bitch "Britta". Don't know what year it was taken, but mum was born in 1925. I loved to see the 1892 photo of the Pudelpointer, a breed that looks very similar to the Deutsch Drahthaar.

img126.jpg

Here is an old german photo of my mum, her brother, and their very proud German Shepherd bitch "Britta". Don't know what year it was taken, but mum was born in 1925. I loved to see the 1892 photo of the Pudelpointer, a breed that looks very similar to the Deutsch Drahthaar.

img126.jpg

Thats a great pic! :thumbsup: I love your mum's sheppy too, she was beautiful :)

If you want to read a great book on the development of the Boxer breed in Germany i can thoroughly reccommend My Life With Boxers by Friderun von Miram-Stockmann. Great book and some awesome pictures in it! In the book Friderun Stockmann is credited with keeping the Boxer breed viable during the two World Wars! It is her biography so the book could be a little biased though ;) :laugh:

No Cavvies, no Border Collies .... a lot of breeds with cropped ears and docked tails, and a lot of dogs with different features - dogs that today's judges might not give a second glance.

It is really very interesting when you look at a collection of photos like this.

Souff

Found Cavs and King Charles, on bottom middle of page 2. :)

I thought some might like to see this picture. It is a picture of Husky bitch 'Tess'. The photo is taken around 1904-1905 I think in Melbourne, Vic.

Tess was born in the Antarctic and is a pup from a litter of four born to Earnest Shackleton's bitch 'Vianca' (who herself was born in the Arctic).

The litter was born on 3 July 1902. The sire's name was 'Wolf'.

Her sire and dam were sled dogs used on Sir Robert Scott's first (1901) expedition to the Antarctic and Tess was a gift to my great grandfather who was a member of the expedition.

He brought Tess back to Melbourne with him when he returned from the Antarctic in March 1903.

She was perhaps the first Husky in Australia? (noting this is before the Siberian Husky became a recognised breed)

post-5072-0-37017500-1331704841_thumb.jpg

Edited by espinay2