Historical Pictures Of Dogs

Janba

I posted this link in another thread but thought it would interest people not following that thread.

There are photos of dogs from about 1900 onwards as well as older drawings and paintings. If you look down the right hand side there are sub albums for many breeds.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v485/Pietoro/Dog%20Breed%20Historical%20Pictures/?start=all

ETA view by page link - there are 50 pages

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v485/Pietoro/Dog%20Breed%20Historical%20Pictures/?start=0

Edited by Janba

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The one Borzoi photo doesn't look very representative of the other photos I have seen from the same period. I guess that's the problem with one photo, no reason to beleive it is a typical example or a good one.

Some of the 'zoi of that time I could pluck out of the photos, groom and fed them modern style and stick them straight into a show ring today. Although they often have less angulation than the modern big winners, they'd not look out of place.

The one Borzoi photo doesn't look very representative of the other photos I have seen from the same period. I guess that's the problem with one photo, no reason to beleive it is a typical example or a good one.

Some of the 'zoi of that time I could pluck out of the photos, groom and fed them modern style and stick them straight into a show ring today. Although they often have less angulation than the modern big winners, they'd not look out of place.

There are 33 photos of Borzois. If you view all instead of page by page and do a browser "find" for borzoi they are there.

Just a random 3

1895Borzoi.jpg

1895_Borzoi.jpg

1902BorzoiDuchess.jpg

These are amazing! I'm shocked by the changes in some breeds. I'm only on the first page but it's unbelievable how different Great Danes are.

ETA: Early Boxers looked more like APBT today!

1894Boxer_FlockStSalvator.gif

Edited by melzawelza

I tried this link a few times this afternoon but the pc I was on kept freezing each time. I hope to try it again on a different pc tomorrow.

It didn't work for me this morning as it froze my pc as well, however, opened up this evening - amazing photos! :)

These are amazing! I'm shocked by the changes in some breeds. I'm only on the first page but it's unbelievable how different Great Danes are.

That's the one that stood out to me as well - the change in Boxers is huge.

This stuff is so interesting!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting this :) I adore seeing pics of the GSD from days gone by :)

Agree with the Boxer

Another one which really shocked me (saw it first in that other vid that is making the rounds) is the Bull Terrier

1905Bull_Terriers2.jpg

I tried this link a few times this afternoon but the pc I was on kept freezing each time. I hope to try it again on a different pc tomorrow.

I'm having the same problem as Anne. :(

Thanks for posting this :) I adore seeing pics of the GSD from days gone by :)

Agree with the Boxer

Another one which really shocked me (saw it first in that other vid that is making the rounds) is the Bull Terrier

1905Bull_Terriers2.jpg

They looked such a handsome Noble dog.

I've seen this photo before except it was labelled as a pitbull.

I'm having the same problem as Anne. :(

Try the view by page instead of view all link I first posted. There are 50 pages

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v485/Pietoro/Dog%20Breed%20Historical%20Pictures/?start=0

That's done it! Thanks.

No Cavaliers. :(

I've seen this photo before except it was labelled as a pitbull.

The dog is Flock St Salvator and can be found part way down the page on the site

http://www.ukboxerdogs.co.uk/history.html