Can You Feel Your Dogs Microchip?

Cavstar

So at dog training on the weekend the trainer was talking about dog handling.

She asked if we could all feel our dogs microchip which apparently feels like a grain of rice.

Everyone else in the class could feel their dogs.. except me :(

The trainer said sometimes they have been known to travel as far as the tail but given she's only 5 months old she thought it would be unlikely :confused:

Can everyone else feel their dogs?

On some dogs I can, on some I can't.

I remember being creeped out with a small terrier cross breed with a very thin coat and skin - I was patting his chest and found something hard under the skin, which was the microchip! It felt very grotesque in this dog, because his skin was so thin.

With my borders, they have a thick pelt, and I can rarely feel the chip on an adult dog.

Felt easily when just done on a six week old puppy. And for many weeks afterwards. Not so easy to find as they get older though.

One of my bitches littermates had hers move down her leg and is quite obvious as a tiny lump there. Scans well though.

Yes I can, had my dog at vets today as she had to have her vaccination, got vet to check and it is behind her left shoulder near the top of her leg, vet said not a problem just noted where it was in her records. She is a 2 year old CKCS.

Edited by My_Dog

The trainer said sometimes they have been known to travel as far as the tail but given she's only 5 months old she thought it would be unlikely :confused:

yes and my pups had moved within weeks down behind his right shoulder, will most likely have to get it removed.

No I can't feel my two but I know Stan's is down near his tail somewhere.That's where they found it last time he was scanned.

Did it start out between the shoulder blades?

yes and my pups had moved within weeks down behind his right shoulder, will most likely have to get it removed.

Why is that Rebanne? Is it because it wont register and they wont put another in unless the first is removed? :confused:

Edited by LizT

Half of my last litter has moved and all before they were 5 months of age. :mad

So are they now hard to scan? :(

That would be a big problem unless the operator was dilgent and went along the whole dog up,down and across.