Floor For Puppy Run

**Super_Dogs**

My litter is due next week.

When the puppies are mobile I extend the the whelping box with puppy pen to make a run and make the run bigger as the puppies get more mobile. I have tiled floor so my last litter I put down lino as I thought it would be easier for the pups to walk on that the tiles. I am wrong!!

What flooring do you use that is both easy to clean and not too slippery?

My puppies are on blankets until they're mobile, then they are on synthetic grass and blankets until they are walking well.

Then they move inside (normally about 4 weeks) and are on tiles (with synthetic grass toilet).

ETA: You can get marine carpet from Bunnings. :)

Edited by Leema

12 months ago I thought the way to go was to paint the concrete as the urine and poo seem to soak into the plain concrete and cause an unpleasant odor. Boy was I wrong the paint was slippery and started to flake off :hitself: --- tried to scrape the paint off big job and I had to use paint remover, Toxic smell dogs couldn't go near the concrete for weeks.

This litter I planned on tiles hubby said too slippery :shrug: so off to the carpet shop to look at marine carpet hubby thought that the puppies would catch their nails in the loops, lets look at lino and that is what we bought and I at this stage am finding it OK mum is not slipping but the babies are not out yet so I will wait and see. But I did buy marine carpet for inside of the whelping box, it does have vet bed on top so no nails caught as yet :crossfingers:

So far the jury is out and I have no idea :noidea: as to what the perfect surface is for puppies. Yes I DO it called GRASS :laugh:

This is question for those that use marine carpet or any form of washable carpet for that matter.

Have any of you found that the puppies have sought out a carpet area to use as a toilet area as time progresses ?.

It would be a worry of mine. :)

This litter I planned on tiles hubby said too slippery :shrug: so off to the carpet shop to look at marine carpet hubby thought that the puppies would catch their nails in the loops, lets look at lino and that is what we bought and I at this stage am finding it OK mum is not slipping but the babies are not out yet so I will wait and see. But I did buy marine carpet for inside of the whelping box, it does have vet bed on top so no nails caught as yet :crossfingers:

I thought the same thing - tiles too slippery. To be honest, I don't think the lino is any better. My last litter did slip on the lino. It was not too bad, otherwise I would have done something to fix it straight away, but I figured for this litter there may be a better option. I suppose one benefit is the lino is not as hard as tiles. :)

I am going to give the marine carpet a go for the play area (I have vet bed for the sleeping area) while the puppies are still finding their feet. The lino is fine when they are bigger. This also means I don't need to buy as much. :thumbsup:

Edited by buddy1

Ive used lino and never had an issue with slipping, maybe it matters what sort of lino ? I dont know, I just used cheap stuff from the warehouse. Marine carpet and artificial grass is a good idea though, might keep that in mind for my next litter.

Edited by Kaffy Magee

My last litter for outside the whelping box I put down a plastic tarp, newspaper over that and then the non slip rubber matting I brought from reject shop over the newspaper, worked a treat :D

My litter is due next week.

When the puppies are mobile I extend the the whelping box with puppy pen to make a run and make the run bigger as the puppies get more mobile. I have tiled floor so my last litter I put down lino as I thought it would be easier for the pups to walk on that the tiles. I am wrong!!

What flooring do you use that is both easy to clean and not too slippery?

We had the same problem, so I got a bulk lot of big 'foam' tiles that interlock - a bit like the stuff yoga mats are made of - it is fantastic as the pups find their feet really easily as the tiles have the tiniest bit of give in them and the surface is slightly textured. You see them at camping shops, sometimes with holes in them, but we got solid and at a bulk place. These tiles were fantastic, best puppy surface we have had.